The O's and chances of getting Cole Hamels

birdreg

http://www.baseballessential.com/news/2015/06/18/baltimore-orioles-make-deal-cole-hamels/

I came across this article as I was in between reading mlbtr.com, Pressbox online and Bleacher Report. It's an interesting piece, but I've never read from this site nor have I heard of it. Anyone lend any credence to this site? I?m just curious if this is legit. I'm assuming that the Phillies scouts were most likely to scout the Yankees, but was curious if anyone else heard any speculation or rumblings about this? One thing that made it somewhat suspect was the fact that if the Phillies were looking at a deal with us involving Cole Hamels, why would they be at an O's game and not at a game of one of our minor league affiliates. Mind you, the article is about a month old, and is during a time when Norris was still in the rotation. Anyways, looking for some insight. Thanks.

Agreed, the no-hitter most likely puts him out of reach. I've always liked Hamels, and would love even more to see him pitching for the O's. As for the money, I thought this was an interesting take, but couldn't decide if I agreed or not, or even if I thought it was an intelligent statement.

The Orioles’ payroll currently sits at approximately $110 million. Looking ahead to next season, the team has only $44 million committed to its 2016 payroll. Do not underestimate the level of flexibility this gives the front office to add a significant portion of Cole Hamels’ guaranteed $83 million over the next three years. The fact that the Orioles have very little money committed to 2016 and beyond could also give them the flexibility to take on one of the Phillies’ unwanted former All-Stars like Ryan Howard or Jonathan Papelbon. When the Los Angeles Dodgers acquired Adrian Gonzalez from the Boston Red Sox, they were also forced to take Carl Crawford and Josh Beckett. If that’s the cost of doing business for the Orioles, then so be it.

Anyways, as I said, was just looking for some more insight, as I think we have a lot of great baseball-minded people within our OH community. I was hard-pressed with wishful thinking when Roy Halladay was a possibility years ago, and am now suffering with the same wishful thinking. No harm in being positive and hoping, but I agree it's a really long shot.

The Orioles would probably have to trade Gausman+ to get Hamels. I think that would be a mistake. They need players like Gausman to provide cheap production to stay within payroll constraints. Other teams will probably be willing to offer more without tapping into their current core because they have deeper farm systems.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• A couple of things that I find interesting, Yaqui Rivera - Acquired in the Tanner Scott/Cole Sulser trade with the Marlins. Juan Nunez - Acquired in the Jorge Lopez trade.   Creed Willems - still only 20 and already in A+.  He got off to a big start last year as well and then struggled the rest of the year.  We're a little spoiled with prospect success from the college guys and HS phenoms Mayo, Holliday, and Gunnar.  The HS position players take some time.  
    • Perez threw an inning of rehab last night with Norfolk.  His velocity was down about 1.5 MPH on his sinker, and everything was down a tick, but he was getting some work in and doesn't look too far away from being ready.
    • I don’t trust that guy to be very useful despite the strong start. He’s a good regression candidate. Would rather have Kopech. 
    • O's have Fabian behind Bradfield and Mullins will likely decline after '25 when he becomes a FA. I think one of those two should be able to hold down CF. Beavers could be in the mix as well.
    • Its a total joke that Wagner isn’t it in yet. 
    • I see no dilemma. He’s under team control right now during his best season’s. When he becomes a FA he will be out of his prime. I mean I love Mullins as a player and what he brings. But when we are talking about priorities for extensions, he is nowhere near the top considering you have an MVP caliber 22 year old, an ultra talented top prospect who is 20, and your team leader is 25. Those 3 are the engine that will drive this bus toward postseason glory most probably, not Cedric Mullins. If the Yanks want to give him that kind of contract while we retain 2 out of the 3 if Henderson, Rutschman, and Holliday; then so be it!  What I shudder to think about is a prime Henderson or Holliday crushing it for one of our competitors so that we can have a declining CF. Didn’t we just do that the last go around? Where we choose to resign the (predictably) declining player while we let the younger/more talented player leave? Yes, I agree that Bradfield Jr’s development is important. But since Elias/Sig have been here they haven’t struck out on any first round picks. Also, if Bradfield proves to be a bust, they can always draft and/or develop another CF type.
    • Thanks, I missed that detail probably multi-tasking in the game thread. I do think Kimbrel has a good shot*...Wagner should go in next cycle, and the electorate in the coming years will be wrestling with how Epstein, Friedman, etc. have improved per pitch efficiency by downsizing the workload literally any individual pitcher can shoulder.      There can't not be any Hall of Famers with all this run prevention going on.    I think now that he's officially retired Strasburg will be a good debate.    Bumgarner too, though I don't believe I've seen that guy yet admitting any retirement. *better shot if say he can get the last out of an important postseason series or three in 2024.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now