O's discussing blockbuster with the Padres for Upton?

SamsHorn

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gausman for Upton and a SP to replace Gausman is the core, and that Cashner (FA after 2016) vs. Ross (FA after 2017) is probably the arm conversation.

Kennedy's rental is too small of a consideration paired with the Upton rental to sell Gausman, and Shields's contract too expensive. I wouldn't rule Shields out if Padres paid it down some though.

I've advocated for Ross's strikeouts and grounders in front of our defense. His heavy slider usage is a little worrisome though. Despite that, I think the Ross variation is the best one for us.

On the margins, would we want Benoit (warhorse with fading peripherals)? We couldn't get the young and strong Maurer, could we?

Could there be a super size variation involving Kimbrel, especially if we concede Cashner on the main point?

My wildest guess - Gausman, Wright, Wilson and Reyes for Upton, Cashner and Kimbrel

How much better would this move make this team, THIS year. Does that move alone provide us enough to make the playoffs and win a series? I'm not sure it does. Granted, it helps solidify the one COF spot and a nice bat but I still see more holes.

Losing Gausman would be a crushing blow IMO. I just can't see DD doing this deal if it is going to cost us Gausman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Year by year stadium effects are probably less reliable then defensive metrics. For instance OPACY was 22nd last season.

Ah...gotchya. I do think I remember reading somewhere that Petco was not as much as a pitcher park anymore however.

Regardless, those Upton splits definitely make him less attractive (not that I believe something would happen anyway).

Archived