Only 2 WJZ Broadcasts left...

FanSince88

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, it is 2015. And I will not even consider getting cable until Angelos decides to allow MASN to be streamed live on the internet like most other cable networks are.

You are right, most major cable networks are streamed on the Internet. But MASN is not HBO, TNT, TBS, or any of the other networks that you reference. It is not a major cable network, it's a regional sports network. It's apples and oranges. You are not going to watch Red Sox games on NESN online, or Braves games on Sports South online. Unless you have MLB.tv, stream it illegally or buy a package that is supplemental to your existing cable package.

As Weams mentions above, it's an MLB Advanced Media thing, not a MASN thing. Your anger is misdirected.

MLB.TV is so far ahead of other sports broadcast approaches, its silly.

Where I live, I can also only listen to Nottingham Forest games on the radio, if I can't go to the game - and then it has to be on FM, as the digital streams are blacked-out (not just in this area, but across the country). Unless the game is live on national TV, there is no play-again, on demand option. I can watch highlights on the highlights show on a Saturday night on TV, or via the clubs website. But that re-cap is about the limit.

So here I am....3,500 miles away from Bmore, and I watch MLB.TV Premium on the Roku, which I have on every TV in the house. Should I want to watch on a laptop or tablet, I also get the other 'At Bat' stuff, live graphical stats, lineups, look-ins. And thats for every MLB team LIVE.

I can also play-again on-demand and re-watch any game played, with either home or away video/radio streams. The other day I hit a button on the remote by accident and realised that this function stretches back to the start of the 2013 season!

In addition to all that, I can watch (on laptop or tablet) minor league games via the MiLB.TV app.

I know it sucks if you live locally and are subject to a black-out, but the quality of the coverage is SO good that if I lived in Maryland the first thing I would be doing is sorting out the VPN situation.

Finally, I understand the principles behind it, but is there any concrete evidence that having games available on live TV has a significant impact on game attendance? Just curious

Is it not similar with the Premier League? I know lots of Liverpool fans who are miles from the stadium and can't watch Liverpool matches.

MLB.tv and a VPN is not a hassle. It's quite trivial to get around the blackouts. If you really want to avoid that, there are many sports streaming sites that you can basically watch any game and any sport on.

If you can point me towards some site that streams second-division Bundesliga games you'd be awesome and I'd be your best friend.

Finally, I understand the principles behind it, but is there any concrete evidence that having games available on live TV has a significant impact on game attendance? Just curious

I seriously doubt it. When TV started up in the 40s and 50s all the sports leagues made statements that they were doomed, that nobody would come to games anymore. Attendance today is like five times higher than in the 50s. Now... minor league baseball has about half as many teams, and the minors went through a serious crisis in the 60s, probably related to the fact people in Baton Rogue and Kalamazoo would rather watch a major league team on TV than a Class D team live.

And does nothing for an Oriole fan who lives in the Orioles' TV territory and wants to watch the Orioles. Unless you go through the quasi-legal VPN machinations.

How spoiled we have got, when we got access to 162 games a year on TV.

it was sure an upgrade from transistor radio days.

And does nothing for an Oriole fan who lives in the Orioles' TV territory and wants to watch the Orioles. Unless you go through the quasi-legal VPN machinations.

VPN is hardly a hassle and in itself perfectly legal. If someone thought they might have difficulty sleeping at night due to their conscience screaming at them they should take solace in the fact they are indeed paying for the MLB service and no penalty would ever come of it.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

What if a person doesn't want to pay for cable because they rarely watch TV except for Orioles games and occasional sporting events and when they try to pay for MLB.TV, they find out all games are blacked out in the local area. What do they do?

That pretty much describes me. I pay for cable

Furthermore, MASN doesn't seem to have any plans to stream their broadcasts to cable subscribers like most other networks currently do. 90% of my TV watching is done on laptops. Who wants to sit on their reear and watch tv on a stationary screen anymore? If MASN refuses to join the 21st century and stream their broadcast to cable subscribers like HBO, USA, TNT, TBS, and most of the other cable networks, I don't see why I should give them a dime of my money.

LOL, you'd rather watch on your laptop than a big screen hd tv? To each is own, enjoy that.

VPN is hardly a hassle and in itself perfectly legal. If someone thought they might have difficulty sleeping at night due to their conscience screaming at them they should take solace in the fact they are indeed paying for the MLB service and no penalty would ever come of it.

I don't know, I don't do it because I have a crappy internet connection so I pay many bricks of gold to Directv and watch the O's whenever I want. All I know is that if I were to sign up for MLB.tv by the standard method they wouldn't let me watch the Orioles.

LOL, you'd rather watch on your laptop than a big screen hd tv? To each is own, enjoy that.

When I was in the 4th grade I dreamed about the day where they'd invent a wristwatch TV that I could sneak under my covers at night to watch the O's after my parents made me go to bed. That day is now, 38 years later, and darned if the whole concept isn't OBE. Now my kids might like it...

Ultimately, there are two (legal) options:

1) Pay for a cable package.

2) Don't pay for a cable package.

I tried "cutting the cord" myself but the structure of entertainment distribution is not a la carte when it comes to sports. I use Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Instant quite liberally but if it wasn't for the MLB.tv service, I would be forced to get cable and do the Extra Innings package subscription.

There are hundreds of not-legal options for MLB streaming and I refuse to judge anyone who decides to use those if they happen to be stuck between a rock and a hard place of viewing options. It's really not the end of the world.

I don't advocate stealing, but an individual has to live with their own choices.

MSK

Archived