The Comp Balance pick, I mean the $2M, I mean Ben Rowen got called to majors by Chicago Cubs

Crazysilver03

I agree; Cubs suck. Booooooooooooooooo, Cubs.

That's the spirit. There's so many reason to not like them now.

1. All the international money they spend.

2. Their GM. Who won a WS with DD's team.

3. Then Arrietta, Wada, Hammel and Strop that basically cost us the playoffs in 2013.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The pick wasn't about Rowen, it was about Webb's salary.

Now you can question why Dan was in a position that he couldn't simply eat that money. Maybe picking up Everth Cabrera used up the rest of the budget? Maybe those higher up told him he had to find someone to pay for Webb? We won't ever know.

But it wasn't about Rowen.

I think it's simple and that he liked Jason Garcia over Webb. Maybe he wanted the high upside power arm, rather than another pitch to contact arm like Webb.

I think it's simple and that he liked Jason Garcia over Webb. Maybe he wanted the high upside power arm, rather than another pitch to contact arm like Webb.

Which is his call. The question in my mind is, why couldn't he just eat the contract like he did with Young?

This club is just a developmental mess. I know why we traded Arrieta (because he was a disaster his entire tenure on the big club) and Strop (out of options and was a mess at the time). But why:

Does Arrieta flourish with the Cubs shortly after leaving the O's?

Does Strop right himself?

Does Hammel completely fix himself?

Do the O's rehab Wada...let him walk, not even offer a minor league contract to him. Then signs with Cubs and has been a solid reliever.

Then we look at guys like Rowen. So you salary dump Webb (134 ERA+ now in 2015) after you signed him to a 2 year deal....and ship a compensation pick over to the Dodgers for the supposed "next" Darren O'Day. And then you let him opt out? Webb was making $2.7m. Yet we resign Hunter and Matusz.

Duquette or whoever is advising him is a disaster when it comes to stuff like this.

Matusz is left handed.

Webb vs. LHB: .184/.273/.367 - .640 OPS

Although oddly enough, against righties: .292/.352/.462 - .814 OPS.

Or why did Duquette prefer Hunter over Webb?

To me, at the beginning of the season:

Webb ($2.7m) + compensation pick > Hunter ($4.65m) - compensation pick + acquiring Rowen and just letting him walk

Duquette just loves giving away lower level talent or future picks for whatever reason. I am ultra hard on Duquette because he is destroying this club's minor league system.

Duquette just loves giving away lower level talent or future picks for whatever reason. I am ultra hard on Duquette because he is destroying this club's minor league system.

Let's not be melodramatic here. I agree this was a bad move. However, when you have a chance to compete, you trade prospects for immediate contributors. This is what you do whenever you have a chance to make the playoffs. We paid the going rate for Miller and he helped us. Same with Norris and to some extent Feldman. All without giving up our top prospects, Bundy, Harvey, Gausman, and Schoop. And let's be honest. If Bundy is healthy right now, we are very excited about our farm system.

Let's not be melodramatic here. I agree this was a bad move. However, when you have a chance to compete, you trade prospects for immediate contributors. This is what you do whenever you have a chance to make the playoffs. We paid the going rate for Miller and he helped us. Same with Norris and to some extent Feldman. All without giving up our top prospects, Bundy, Harvey, Gausman, and Schoop. And let's be honest. If Bundy is healthy right now, we are very excited about our farm system.

A bit melodramatic, but if an organization is completely banking on 2 SPs (and really, what else is there?)....do they really have a good enough farm system? By nearly all ratings out there, the O's are at the immediate bottom of the barrel when it comes to organizational farm system rankings. And that's for a reason.

Which is his call. The question in my mind is, why couldn't he just eat the contract like he did with Young?

Maybe he knew he was already stuck with the bad arbitration offers to De Aza, Matusz and Hunter, and knew he was going to have to deal with that/eat that money. We'll never know what fully happened this offseason, until DD leaves. Personally I think DD is too good of a GM just to make those arbitration offers to those guys.

My theory is that he's been trying to make the best out of the situation since the Toronto fiasco came to an end. So he got rid of Webb's money. I'm willing to put all my negative feelings aside about Angelos and DD for the offseason, if we just supplement this team enough to make the playoffs. So DD is going to have to acquire the right guys and Angelos needs to be willing to add to payroll. If not I will feel like we 100% lost this season in the offseason.

Archived