The Comp Balance pick, I mean the $2M, I mean Ben Rowen got called to majors by Chicago Cubs

Crazysilver03

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fifth club in what, a year? He must be an amazing pitcher to be wanted by so many clubs.

Or is he atrocious because of everyone trying to dump him?

I remember reading this article after the O's DFA'd Alex Hassan. The waiver system really screws over these fringe guys who are too good for AAA but not good enough to roster. The incentives are all for teams to bounce them around and game the system, even when they have no intention of keeping them.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/05/another-look-at-flaws-in-the-waiver-system.html

Fifth club in what, a year? He must be an amazing pitcher to be wanted by so many clubs.

Or is he atrocious because of everyone trying to dump him?

Why do the choices have to be so drastic (and incorrect)? He wasnt terrible in his major league shot last year. Lost his spot with CHC because of their deadline acquisitions. Fringe guy that could be a useful long term piece.

Of course, by your logic Danny Valenica must be atrocious.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I remember reading this article after the O's DFA'd Alex Hassan. The waiver system really screws over these fringe guys who are too good for AAA but not good enough to roster. The incentives are all for teams to bounce them around and game the system, even when they have no intention of keeping them.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/05/another-look-at-flaws-in-the-waiver-system.html

Yeah that was a really good read. And good of Oakland, I believe, to just release him instead of DFAing him the last time.

But they do get to collect a major league paycheck while in limbo.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Let's not be melodramatic here. I agree this was a bad move. However, when you have a chance to compete, you trade prospects for immediate contributors. This is what you do whenever you have a chance to make the playoffs. We paid the going rate for Miller and he helped us. Same with Norris and to some extent Feldman. All without giving up our top prospects, Bundy, Harvey, Gausman, and Schoop. And let's be honest. If Bundy is healthy right now, we are very excited about our farm system.

I think LookitsPuck presents a very valid argument. Some good moves by DD..sure. But there have also been some that have not work out in the O's favor.

And if Bundy is healthy, he is likely up with BAL now rather than still being considered a minor league asset.

Point still stands in my book. Our farm system is very weak.

Why do the choices have to be so drastic (and incorrect)? He wasnt terrible in his major league shot last year. Lost his spot with CHC because of their deadline acquisitions. Fringe guy that could be a useful long term piece.

Of course, by your logic Danny Valenica must be atrocious.

My post is tongue in cheek commentary about the people screaming about us "losing" Ben Rowen. Relax.

Archived