Why do we "the fans" think we get it but the FO doesn't?

millertime

I, "The Fan," support any moves that work out and disdain any that fail. I also do not have a seat at the table, so I prefer to stick my fingers in my ears and sing nananananana when confronted by the fact that there are 30 of these fellow in the world and I almost never see them working. Except for the guys who don't work for the team I support.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I, "The Fan," support any moves that work out and disdain any that fail. I also do not have a seat at the table, so I prefer to stick my fingers in my ears and sing nananananana when confronted by the fact that there are 30 of these fellow in the world and I almost never see them working. Except for the guys who don't work for the team I support.

So easy to play fantasy GM baseball and just swap guys around, DFA ones you don't like, promote everybody from the minors and pick perfect draft choices. :)

Parra or Revere are uninspiring names. Parra is having by far a career year and Revere is a decent slap hitter with speed but not much else. Neither rate as superior defensive players. If I had a choice I'd take Revere because he would add a bit more dimension to our offense but if we didn't get either I'd be fine with it.

Hard for Duquette to make the big moves like Toronto has. We just don't have the minor league depth for it. And being only a couple games out of the wild card and still within striking distance of the Yankees, selling off our free agents for second-tier prospects doesn't make sense either.

The bottom line is there are so many teams are making trades to make themselves better to position themselves for a playoff push. Fact is we can't because of our weak farm system. The smart and forward thinking thing to do is sell as long as the return is attractive.

With the trade deadline now here, I personally am very frustrated...actually more stumped than anything...as to what in the world Duquette and the FO is thinking. The Orioles have 3 possible directions they could go...

1. Go for it all this year and make an IMPACT trade or two.

2. Realize that they don't have a chance at the World Series this year nor are they likely to resign Davis, Wieters, Chen and O'Day and become sellers and try and get some good prospects for those guys and focus on 2016 and beyond.

3. Stand pat and do basically nothing.

Of the 3 directions, the one that makes the LEAST sense is to stand pat and yet, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, it sure seems like that is what we are going to do. I am by no means an expert on FO operations or how to run a team...I am simply an avid Orioles fan like most of us on here but it drives me nuts that Duquette and the people in the FO are paid more money than I could ever dream of making to understand that you have to choose the right direction for the club and it sure as hell seems like they don't know how to do that.

This team, as currently constructed, is worse than last years team and without making an IMPACT trade or two, will be lucky to make the playoffs. I certainly hope they do but I am a realist. All the other teams vying for playoff spots sure seem to be making a lot of moves to improve their team because they get it. If the Orioles don't want to go that route, fine...I totally respect that but if they are not going to go that route, then the next LOGICAL thing to do would become sellers. The Tigers are doing it and they are trading away players they can't resign next year and building for the future.

For the O's to just stand pat is asinine in my opinion. As much as I would love to see them resign Davis, Wieters, Chen, O'Day, etc. we know they are not going to and they all could net us some really nice prospects if we were to trade them but it sure doesn't seem like DD and the FO get that. I understand that we could get supplemental draft picks by giving them qualifying offers but lets be real...what are the odds that the players we draft with those supplemental picks turn out to be anything? I'd much rather trade for known prospects that we KNOW could help us in the future.

Sorry for the rant but I just don't understand the thought process of our FO. You want to go all in and try and win it this year and makes some splashy trades? Cool...I'm down with that. You want to realize that our playoff chances are slim and that we have some valuable trade chips that we aren't going to resign them and trade them for prospect that will help us in the future? Cool...I'm down with that too. Just don't sit by idly and do nothing! That is the worst direction you could choose. Please prove me wrong.

Am I crazy for feeling/thinking this way? If I am, I know some of you "elder posters" will put me in my place.

We uh - don't know more than the front office.

Guest rochester

I have read as much as I can about the trades this year and the statements that we need to replenish the farm (which I agree with). However, what exactly could we have asked? I think Dombrowski did well with Norris v. 2 months of Price, the Brewers brought in some nice additions but what could have we received in comparison? Davis, Chen and O'Day most likely have the best short-term value of those likely to leave - what is the opinion of how well we could have done? Could have Davis brought back what Gomez did? Chen wouldn't even get close to what Price brought back.

With the trade deadline now here, I personally am very frustrated...actually more stumped than anything...as to what in the world Duquette and the FO is thinking. The Orioles have 3 possible directions they could go...

2. Realize that they don't have a chance at the World Series this year nor are they likely to resign Davis, Wieters, Chen and O'Day and become sellers and try and get some good prospects for those guys and focus on 2016 and beyond.

Of the 3 directions, the one that makes the LEAST sense is to stand pat and yet, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, it sure seems like that is what we are going to do. I am by no means an expert on FO operations or how to run a team...I am simply an avid Orioles fan like most of us on here but it drives me nuts that Duquette and the people in the FO are paid more money than I could ever dream of making to understand that you have to choose the right direction for the club and it sure as hell seems like they don't know how to do that.

This team, as currently constructed, is worse than last years team and without making an IMPACT trade or two, will be lucky to make the playoffs. I certainly hope they do but I am a realist. All the other teams vying for playoff spots sure seem to be making a lot of moves to improve their team because they get it. If the Orioles don't want to go that route, fine...I totally respect that but if they are not going to go that route, then the next LOGICAL thing to do would become sellers. The Tigers are doing it and they are trading away players they can't resign next year and building for the future.

For the O's to just stand pat is asinine in my opinion. As much as I would love to see them resign Davis, Wieters, Chen, O'Day, etc. we know they are not going to and they all could net us some really nice prospects if we were to trade them but it sure doesn't seem like DD and the FO get that. I understand that we could get supplemental draft picks by giving them qualifying offers but lets be real...what are the odds that the players we draft with those supplemental picks turn out to be anything? I'd much rather trade for known prospects that we KNOW could help us in the future.

Sorry for the rant but I just don't understand the thought process of our FO. You want to go all in and try and win it this year and makes some splashy trades? Cool...I'm down with that. You want to realize that our playoff chances are slim and that we have some valuable trade chips that we aren't going to resign them and trade them for prospect that will help us in the future? Cool...I'm down with that too. Just don't sit by idly and do nothing! That is the worst direction you could choose. Please prove me wrong.

Am I crazy for feeling/thinking this way? If I am, I know some of you "elder posters" will put me in my place.

Doesn't seem like a rant at all. You seem right on point to me.

Couple that with the fact that our GM has gutted our farm system trading for the likes of Bud Norris, Scott Feldman and rental players, any major deal is going to leave the Os with absolutely nothing in the minors.

I think the first sentence is something of an exaggeration. I'd be interested in seeing where the lower-level prospects that Duquette has traded now rank in other team's farm systems. Yes, every little bit helps, but I don't think a handful of B/C/D prospects are what's separating a good farm system from one that's "gutted".

I personally think the opening post is on the money. Standing pat is the worst choice. I think selling was the logical choice and buying was the emotional choice. I would have sold, but again I understand why DD couldn't really defend the choice to the team or fans. Now that Toronto and Houston have both really gone for it, I think we'd be nuts to buy. I don't think we can improve as much as they did. I know we can't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bingo. Exactly what I've been saying all along.

Why do we "the fans" get it but the FO doesn't?

The closer one gets to the core of the Jet-Set the less likely you'll find someone that will admit error.

Case in point Delmon Young: career .280 hitter and outfielder who led assists on the team is DFA'd and released. Now what gives? Snider, Reimold, Pearce, and Parm are upgrades? - no way man. Let's admit fault, say we were wrong and let's get him back on the team.

Btw, did any one else cringe to think Delmon would have undoubtedly tied the game pinch hitting last night? - (when Reimold was at bat in the bottom of the ninth with a Joseph on 3rd, 2 outs and trailing by one)

No. But I did think Manny would tie it up before Nolan/Delmon came to the plate. If I'd thought about Delmon, I would have gone only as far as thinking that last year's Delmon might have come through there.

I think standing pat is a reasonable option. It doesn't sell off prospects for a relatively long shot at this year's playoffs. And it will result in a number of compensatory picks in next year's draft. That helps the team long-term while not throwing in the towel on '15. And we don't know what prospects those rentals might bring back. They're talking about Parra, and his .328/.369/.517 line will be waaaay to high a cost with someone like Zach Davies. So who's going to be happy flipping Chen or Davis for a fringy top-100ish prospect while basically giving up on this season?

I also think that if we were privy to the discussions Duquette has had with the other GMs and Angelos and Buck and others we might not have exactly the same perspective that we do right now. I think it is somewhat arrogant to think that we as fans and outsiders have a better perspective/opinion on the organization than the GM. We might have a different one. But to say that the same front office that got a moribund franchise into strong contention the last three years "sure as hell... don't know how to... choose a right direction for the club."

You're not crazy. It's common for fans to disagree with the perceived direction of the club. Actually, that seems to be the most common state for all sports fans of teams that didn't win the Championship in the last two months.

Nothing wrong with the OP, but it probably jumped the gun by about 14 hours.

This. The reasoning was solid but the original thread title (which I think said "Why do we 'the fans' get it but the FO doesn't?" instead of why do we think we get it) and that fact that it was a "rant" against something that hadn't happened yet (i.e., the FO standing pat thought the trade deadline) on the other hand.....

Nope, you're not crazy. I very much agree with this sentiment. I'm firmly in the "trade away our FA (Chen, Wieters, Davis, and O'Day) for the best prospects you can get" camp. But, I understand the trade away some impact prospects for some IMPACT players (non-rental) camp also. I do prefer the stand pat camp over the trade impact prospects for rental camp, which feels like what the front office seems to want to do (of course, this is baseless as of now, just a gut-feeling I have).

On a side note, anyone else wish MacPhail were our GM for the next 24 hours? I think he'd sell and get some real talent in return and I'm not ecstatic over the possibility that we'll get raked over the coals for Ben Revere.

No I do not wish that. DD is not some dope that doesn't know how to make deals.

He just can't please everyone. WhAtever deals he makes or doesn't make some

will find fault.

I think the front office is afraid to sell with the team this "close" to a wild card. I don't think they give the fan base enough credit and don't realize that most of us would embrace selling and be excited how it helps the club in 2016 and beyond. Same thing with the Redskins. Front office for years was so hesitant to do a complete rebuild until this past off season. Truth is most of us Skins fans were so willing to embrace it all that time instead of spinning our wheels.

Archived