Tommy Hunter to Cubs for Junior Lake (Deal Done)

sipper65

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Before we jump all over the guy, I just want to say that I have always liked Tommy Hunter as a person and he has been a good fit with the team chemistry during our playoff year run the past few years. He may not be DoD out in the pen, but he's been decent for us, and as Buck says, "these guys aren't meat." I like Tommy and wish him well, whether that be finishing 2 more months in Baltimore or heading out to another team.

Is there an echo in the room? :)

Hunter's neither great nor terrible. But if the idea floated here (trade Hunter, call up Garcia) is carried out, let's be clear: that's a downgrade for the next two months. I'm not necessarily against the move if the prospect has some upside, but that's not a move that helps us in 2015.

Totally agree, and not entirely sure why so much enthusiasm for this move. Especially if you assume we will DFA Bud, that creates two spots in the pen to fill. Givens, Wright, Wilson, Garcia, or Mac - two of those would now be in the bullpen, which is a lot of pressure for a contending team.

I am first on board for replenishing the system, but if we are going for it this year, let's not dabble around the edges to try to pick up some mediocre prospects.

Admittedly, this fan base has been pretty spoiled by guys like O'Day, Miller, and Britton the last two years, so average guys like Hunter (and even Matusz) catch a lot of heat for not being as good as some of the best in the game. I'm guilty of it, too!

Admittedly, this fan base has been pretty spoiled by guys like O'Day, Miller, and Britton the last two years, so average guys like Hunter (and even Matusz) catch a lot of heat for not being as good as some of the best in the game. I'm guilty of it, too!

If Matusz wasn't a #5 overall pick I think people would have a completely different feeling about him. He's been pretty solid since nestling into the role he's in. Its just the failed starter and #5 pick status that gives everyone a bad taste about Matusz.

Seems like this is just giving Hunter's Aug/Sep salary slot to Revere or Parra.

We have closer facsimiles of Hunter for league-minimum (Givens, most likely) then, and not so much in LF/RF.

But what prospects are we giving up for Revere and Parra? That's the question.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I was told Os would much rather deal Norris than Hunter, but have had no takers on Norris. For weeks they've wanted more flex in bullpen</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="
">July 31, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just DFA Norris already I mean really.

That's a shocker. There's no takers on Norris.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I was told Os would much rather deal Norris than Hunter, but have had no takers on Norris. For weeks they've wanted more flex in bullpen</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="
">July 31, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just DFA Norris already I mean really.

The whole MASN thing is really starting to concern me. We are going to trade someone who is pitching well to create flexibility in the pen but we are keeping Norris who is terrible? We need money that much to deal Hunter? I see today how a team like the D'Backs want Chapman and how they are going to increase payroll.

Archived