Tommy Hunter to Cubs for Junior Lake (Deal Done)

sipper65

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really confused?

Are we trying to win in 2015?

Picking up another corner OF with zip power (.876 OPS in PCL is below league average) for Tommy Hunter is nothing but a salary dump

If we are dumping salary why did we give up our #8 prospect for a 2 month rental of a league average corner OF'er?

I guess we are trying to lose in 2015 and 2016 and beyond.

JUNIOR LAKE

OF - RH

6'3", 215

arb eligible: 2017

FanGraphs - Cubs Junior Lake: Boom or Bust Prospect

Per the Urban Dictionary, the phrase “hot mess” means, “When ones thoughts or appearance are in a state of disarray, but they maintain an undeniable attractiveness or beauty.” When scouting Junior Lake during the Southern League playoffs, his game was part car wreck, but I simply could not help but be enamored with his tools. Rocket arm. Explosive hand speed. Plus runner. Other than the way he actually played baseball, there was nothing not to like.

Now this assessment may seem a little bit harsh, but when placed into the context of a 21-year old Dominican prospect who was young for the level of competition, it’s pretty much par for the course. Of course after four years and 1,850 minor league plate appearances, one would hope for a more development from a baseball standpoint, but Lake can log another 1,000+ plate appearances at the minor league level and still break through at 24, an age when many big league regulars surface.

In many respects, his game resembles that of a poor man’s B.J. Upton without the added value of bases on balls.

In terms of tools, few are more impressive than shortstop Junior Lake, but the gap between them and his present baseball skills is cavernous. Of course organizations and scouts alike are more likely to covet a skill set similar to Lake’s and turn them over to the player development staff to cultivate them into in game production. Of players scouted over the past few seasons, I’ve seen few whose tools I’d prefer to roll the proverbial dice on, but Lake is admittedly more boom or bust than most would want to see in a prospect at the double-A level.

That's dated February 3, 2012.

I'm really confused?

Are we trying to win in 2015?

Picking up another corner OF with zip power (.876 OPS in PCL is below league average) for Tommy Hunter is nothing but a salary dump

If we are dumping salary why did we give up our #8 prospect for a 2 month rental of a league average corner OF'er?

I guess we are trying to lose in 2015 and 2016 and beyond.

Givens for Hunter is an upgrade.

People on Cubs board and Twitter laughing at us, not a good sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was about the money owed and the slot on the 25 man roster.

I said at the beginning of the year that you can't have a bullpen full of guys with no options.

How much of a return can you expect to get for a pretty good 6-7th inning guy that is making too much money?

Duquette does a terrible job at selling high on players.

Omg he is terrible.

Not impressed with deadline moves.

If he would have just signed Cruz we might be in first and still have Davies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived