Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

Dave Schoenfield yesterday wrote an article called "Each team's most untouchable player at the trade deadline." Guess who got the nod for the Brewers? Zach Davies, who ironically, was traded at the deadline last year by the Orioles.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/72494/trade-deadline-big-list-each-teams-most-untouchable-player

Schoenfield named Chance Sisco as our most untouchable player. However, he made clear that "[f]or the contenders, I considered only prospects or young players who have been mentioned in rumors." So I guess Bundy wasn't mentioned in rumors?

Imagine that, a young, cost controlled legitimate starting pitcher should be held onto. As I said before, during and after the trade, Davies was and is heads and shoulders above Wright and Wilson and was not "in their same group!" This reminds of the time when I wrote up Lincecum as the second best pitching prospect I had ever seen personally (Beckett was the 1st) and sent it to my area guy only to watch the Orioles pass him up for Billy Rowell. Here I am again, Davies is heads and shoulders better than Wright and Wilson, and Davies was sent away for a rent a player who wasn't going to move the needle enough even had he come here and put up his .900 OPS that we all knew he wouldn't.

Duquette does some great things as GM, and his scouts do a decent job overall, but they really screwed the pooch on this assessment.

Imagine that, a young, cost controlled legitimate starting pitcher should be held onto. As I said before, during and after the trade, Davies was and is heads and shoulders above Wright and Wilson and was not "in their same group!" This reminds of the time when I wrote up Lincecum as the second best pitching prospect I had ever seen personally (Beckett was the 1st) and sent it to my area guy only to watch the Orioles pass him up for Billy Rowell. Here I am again, Davies is heads and shoulders better than Wright and Wilson, and Davies was sent away for a rent a player who wasn't going to move the needle enough even had he come here and put up his .900 OPS that we all knew he wouldn't.

Duquette does some great things as GM, and his scouts do a decent job overall, but they really screwed the pooch on this assessment.

You always said he would be a very good one.

• 2 weeks later...

How good would this guy look in our rotation right now?

3.58 ERA 1.19 WHIP .251 BAA 7.7 K/9 IP in 118 innings in a hitter's park (Miller Field).

I don't care what the guy's fastball clocks in at. He misses bats. Looks like a solid # 3 MLB starter to me.

How good would this guy look in our rotation right now?

3.58 ERA 1.19 WHIP .251 BAA 7.7 K/9 IP in 118 innings in a hitter's park (Miller Field).

I don't care what the guy's fastball clocks in at. He misses bats. Looks like a solid # 3 MLB starter to me.

It was a horrible trade, I still don't get it, I'm glad the O's are still in first.

Right. And we know he's running an unsustainably high BABIP. His OPS is inflated and also out of line with career numbers. There's no reason at all to believe he'll hit .850+ the rest of the season. Expect numbers close to his career AKA not that much better than Snider.

Still wondering how posters here understood this while Duq didn't. Overall, Duq is competent at his job, but he has a horrible record for deadline trades - which didn't improve this year, imo.

• 6 months later...

BP selected Davies as one of 10 major league pitchers most likely to have a breakout season in 2017:

Zach Davies, Milwaukee Brewers

Top Three Same-Age Comps: Gio Gonzalez, Vance Worley, Matt Harvey

BP’s new command/control data shows Davies as Kyle Hendricks 2.0, getting the most out of underwhelming raw stuff by leading MLB in Called Strikes Above Average last year (Hendricks ranked third while winning the ERA title). His fastball often fails to crack 90 mph, but he works the edges of the strike zone brilliantly by avoiding damage and coaxing borderline calls in his favor. In decades past we might look at a soft-tosser like Davies with a modest strikeout rate and assume that his success would be short-lived, but our increased ability to quantify his skill set shows him in a much more favorable long-term light.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=31239

• 2 years later...

It’s funny how Gerardo Parra is now something of a cult hero among Nats fans, with his Baby Shark walk-up song and people wearing shark costumes in the crowd.    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/21/how-baby-shark-became-anthem-nationals-season-world-series-run/%3foutputType=amp

Parra is being given a lot of credit for loosening up the Nats’ clubhouse.    His arrival preceded the Nats’ turnaround by just a couple of weeks.     

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s funny how Gerardo Parra is now something of a cult hero among Nats fans, with his Baby Shark walk-up song and people wearing shark costumes in the crowd.    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/21/how-baby-shark-became-anthem-nationals-season-world-series-run/%3foutputType=amp

Parra is being given a lot of credit for loosening up the Nats’ clubhouse.    His arrival preceded the Nats’ turnaround by just a couple of weeks.     

Stevenson is the better option, but no way do they leave him off the roster.