Long Term Orioles Infield plans

Redskins Rick

It's very risky to assume that plus defensive players at one position will seamlessly transition to plus defensive players at another position.

Except for Manny has played shortstop his entire life and at a professional level up until he reached the majors. He has the tools, ability, and instincts for SS. No reason to think he wouldn't be able to transition back there.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Except for Manny has played shortstop his entire life and at a professional level up until he reached the majors. He has the tools, ability, and instincts for SS. No reason to think he wouldn't be able to transition back there.

Carlos Delgado played catcher his entire life and at a professional level up until he reached the majors. Billy Wagner was a starting pitcher his entire life and at a professional level up until he reached the majors. Danny Tartabull was a second baseman until he wasn't. Brooks Robinson played some short and second early on. Manny Machado is a great third baseman. He might be pretty good at short.

I've never been a fan of players who derive most of their value from fielding. I also believe WAR tends to overrate defense and the defensive metrics they use for defensive WAR are often very unreliable.

Okay. It's nice to have that context when understanding where you're coming from.

Carlos Delgado played catcher his entire life and at a professional level up until he reached the majors. Billy Wagner was a starting pitcher his entire life and at a professional level up until he reached the majors. Danny Tartabull was a second baseman until he wasn't. Brooks Robinson played some short and second early on. Manny Machado is a great third baseman. He might be pretty good at short.

I don't think comparing Manny to those guys is fair. He was rated as a plus defensive shortstop all the way up through the minors. If he was going to be 30 years old and had been in the league for eight seasons in 2018 I could see the skepticism, but he will only be 25. He's got the arm, range, and glove. Shortstop is an easier position to field (glove the ball) than third.

I don't think comparing Manny to those guys is fair. He was rated as a plus defensive shortstop all the way up through the minors. If he was going to be 30 years old and had been in the league for eight seasons in 2018 I could see the skepticism, but he will only be 25. He's got the arm, range, and glove. Shortstop is an easier position to field (glove the ball) than third.

Was he? That link is from six months before he hit the majors and it discusses him eventually moving to third. And even if he was, does that mean he still is 3-4 years later?

Was he? That link is from six months before he hit the majors and it discusses him eventually moving to third. And even if he was, does that mean he still is 3-4 years later?

I don't see why not. Like I said, the tools are there. It's not a situation where he lacks range for the position. He's not learning a new position.

We're talking about 2017-2018 here right? I think it's too early to know the answer. Otherwise, if we still have Machado-Hardy-Schoop, moving them around isn't going to help their collective value. The only thing that makes sense is if one of them is no longer an Oriole, and the other one/two are moved to accommodate a new player.

Hardy is the most likely of the three because he's oldest. The team could land, Idunno, Brian Dozier, and if he still plays 2B they can move Machado to SS and Schoop to 3B.

If it is such an easy position why is it adjusted at a much higher rate than 3B? 3B is a reaction/arm position. SS is a range/arm/ positioning/field generalship position.

Contracts for both Buck and Duquette expire after the 2018 season. If the O's win a World Series by then, my guess is that Buck will retire and DD will look for a big market team to lead.

If both Buck and DD consider winning a World Series by 2018 a goal, their approach to which players to keep and where to use them may change as that date draws nearer. Exactly how, I have no idea. Just something to consider.

Archived