So the deadline came and went...

oriolesacox

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlike most people here, I don't hate the moves we made. For the loss of Davies, if Parra can continue his success this season, he becomes a legitimate place setter at the top of the lineup. I don't thinks the impact bat that people hoped for but the Orioles would have had to part with much more. The Norris and Snider cuts actually made me feel a lot better, and knowing we got something back for Hunter was nice. At the end of the day, with the only real loss of Zach Davies we are a better team than we were yesterday.

Another great post. Tread water and erode=not a long term philosophy, particularly when your first round pitching picks are consistent failures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like Gausman is a failure? On what team do more than one out of every four pitching prospects work out?

I don't hate DD for the deal but when you proclaim,"We are buyers", I want a little more than just Parra.

Yes but if the other GM's wanted KG in a deal then DD says no deal. That's a good thing. Opposing GM's are going to ask for the moon. But DD is not stupid. As it

stands the team has a better LF now. Didnt give up too much. Norris released and Givens coming up. Tommy to the Cubs for a prospect that could help in two three

years.

This is simplistic. I could just as easily say mediocre outfielders are available every year, so why trade for one? Legitimate back end starters are not just a dime a dozen like you make it seem, particularly not ones that would be making league minimum. Sure, we can go out and sign an aging innings eater, but it's still likely to run us at least a few million, probably more.

You could say that, but it would be a false equivalency. Pitchers often take years to adjust to the majors. A team that expects to contend reserves acclimation time for pitchers with higher upside. Back of the rotation guys rarely stick with the team that developed them, as they are moved around until something clicks and they can produce.

The reboot of the bullpen gets a thumbs up from me... good stuff.

I feel though that if we are committing to going for it, we should have picked up another bat. It's not like Parra won't have a positive impact... he just won't have enough of one.

I'd rather have sold some of our FA that we only have a 5% chance of resigning.

Yes but if the other GM's wanted KG in a deal then DD says no deal. That's a good thing. Opposing GM's are going to ask for the moon. But DD is not stupid. As it

stands the team has a better LF now. Didnt give up too much. Norris released and Givens coming up. Tommy to the Cubs for a prospect that could help in two three

years.

Dave Dombrowski of the Tigers asking for Gausman in return was a message to Dan Duquette saying the Tigers are still in no mood to trade with the Orioles.:smile11:

I think we did OK given how few chips we brought to the gaming table, and the result is somewhere around the midpoint of the range of my expectations.

I don't think the loss of two months of Tommy Hunter will hurt us other than by making life in the bullpen less fun. I don't know what we have in Parra (a good name for word play, Parra graph, Parra dime, Parra diddle), but I like (among other things) his .919 OPS in road games games this year. Maybe the change to a new organization will help Lake realize some of his potential, and it's a great name.

I'm shocked by how much the Jays did and how little the NYY did. The Jays are a vastly better team than the NYY, and I think their chances of catching them are quite good. I can't comprehend the NYYs' failure to acquire some starting pitching help or a serious 2B upgrade, other than as a reflection that they have a big lead and can hold it, a belief that it doesn't matter how many runs their starters give up because they'll get 6 or more themselves most games, or Cashman's incompetence. (I can understand how their refusal to part with their four top prospects kept them from getting Hamels or Price, and maybe Cueto, but it's so strange that they came away with zip. I'm fine with it. ;)

If you think we have the talent they have, not sure what to tell ya.

Best team dont always win. That's why you compete. Play 100 games and you are 2 or 3 off the pace with 60 to play and you want to tell people who compete for a living that it's time to quit? Not me. Probably not Buck either.

If it was fantasy baseball, sure. Weigh your present vs future odds like you are at the poker table and make the decision.

But putting together a team to try to win a championship - the only goal - and then quittig while there is still a very real chance...that's for losers. We were losers for 14 years. We're not anymore.

This is simplistic. I could just as easily say mediocre outfielders are available every year, so why trade for one? Legitimate back end starters are not just a dime a dozen like you make it seem, particularly not ones that would be making league minimum. Sure, we can go out and sign an aging innings eater, but it's still likely to run us at least a few million, probably more.

Is Davies really that much better than Wilson, Wright, McFarland, Miranda, Gunkel?

I've read in some of the national sources that Davies was projected as a back-of-the rotation starter at best. He's having a monster year this year, but at AAA. We'll see if that translates to the ML. Parra isn't a great return.

I'm personally relieved overall. When I heard they were "buyers," I was expecting them to give up a lot more than they've given up for a rental. Overall it's basically a push between buyer and seller since we did one mid-tier buy and one mid-tier sell. Could have been worse. Take the comp picks in the offseason, try to extend Parra for a year or two if possible, and make one or two decent signings and we might once again contend for the WC in 2016.

Like Gausman is a failure? On what team do more than one out of every four pitching prospects work out?

You think the O's succeed even that much? Or more to the point, you think the O's success rate is comparable to that of other teams? How do you reason that out?

Archived