Rosenthal: No Deal

33rdst

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If a deal doesn't happen they both wasted time common be fair.

I don't think so. The O's were not actively shopping Roberts as much as the Cubs were trying to get him. The Cubs must have known they had to overpay somewhat to get him and yet they still held back. They are dealing with the Orioles, a team struggling to rebuild. They are not dealing with a team like Tampa Bay, whose future is already mostly in-house.

Good point. I think he even said something to the affect that we talked to Houston and they weren't interested...or something along those lines.
I think alot of it is him just speculating. If you notice he also said the Orioles are still scouting the Cubs minors leagues for what the health.

brob is obviously a popular player with PA based on his public comments and this deal has been different then the others. everything else either happened in a window or didn't hit the press. more gut then evidence, but if pete wants to call and confirm i'm ok with that

Except of course for the Bedard stuff...

I don't think so. The O's were not actively shopping Roberts as much as the Cubs were trying to get him. The Cubs must have known they had to overpay somewhat to get him and yet they still held back. They are dealing with the Orioles, a team struggling to rebuild. They are not dealing with a team like Tampa Bay, whose future is already mostly in-house.
Why do you think you have to over pay to get any player that is not true. You make deal hoping it works out for both teams so you can deal with them again. AM has said that in both trades he made. Further more how do you know if a trade is fair when dealing with prospects you don't to they prove they can play in the bigs. For example you won't know with the 2 trades the Orioles made until 2 or 3 years down the road you can speculate but you don't know for sure. That's why I call them supects you don't know how they will perform.

The Cubs knew what kind of offer they needed to make to get the deal done, but they still didn't do it. The Cubs wasted their own time and the O's time on this deal and not vice versa.

First - you have no idea what kind of offer the Cubs "needed to make to get the deal done". Second - there have been media reports that the Orioles still hadn't let the Cubs know exactly what they wanted for Roberts as recent as last week. Third - as has been reported by insiders here, the AM wanted to trade Tejada and Bedard before focusing on Roberts. So how is it that you come to the conclusion the Cubs wasted the Orioles time?

If MacPhail wouldn't settle for any package that did not include Pie and Hendry said he wasn't trading him, these rumors would have died long ago. IMO, both GMs must have thought they could reach an agreement otherwise why would either let this drag on for months? I don't think either wasted the other ones time. They just couldn't agree on the right deal.

I think this is a fair question what other team out there will make a offer like the Cubs did.

By an offer like the Cubs you mean an insufficient one from our perspective? Doesn't matter really - if it's not enough, AM won't take it, why on earth should he? The simple fact is AM didn't think it was a good trade for us. It doesn't matter if the Cubs thought it was good - trade talks often die on the vine, hardly unusual, no hard feelings.

Why do you think you have to over pay to get any player that is not true. You make deal hoping it works out for both teams so you can deal with them again. AM has said that in both trades he made. Further more how do you know if a trade is fair when dealing with prospects you don't to they prove they can play in the bigs. For example you won't know with the 2 trades the Orioles made until 2 or 3 years down the road you can speculate but you don't know for sure. That's why I call them supects you don't know how they will perform.

I don't understand a word you're saying. You sure you're not a Yankee fan?

By an offer like the Cubs you mean an insufficient one from our perspective? Doesn't matter really - if it's not enough, AM won't take it, why on earth should he? The simple fact is AM didn't think it was a good trade for us. It doesn't matter if the Cubs thought it was good - trade talks often die on the vine, hardly unusual, no hard feelings.

You act like Hendry offered some 34 year old career minor leaguer and two low A prospects. Maybe the market for Roberts isn't as good as AM or any Oriole fan think it is. There are many cases where the assest has more value to the owner then to any other person in the market place. That may be the case here. A deal including 4 decent prospects for a top of the order hitter is rare. Roberts is a fine player, but top of the order middle infielders don't warrant much on the trade market, historically speaking.

Archived