What are the chances of signing Parra?

bannanawho

I don't think it's that black and white, since there isn't anyone who can honestly say they understand exactly what every organization values. But the two organizations that have spent the most time with him aren't particularly enamored.

I don't think it's fair to make judgments about a player based on the fact that he was traded.

For Milwaukee, the trade was a no brainer. He's a decent player who is going to be a FA on a team going nowhere. The Orioles offered a B prospect for him. That's just good business.

When he got traded from Arizona, they had AJ Pollock, Ender Inciarte, David Peralta, Mark Trumbo, Cody Ross, and Parra all competing for 3 spots in the outfield. They're a small-market team and looked at this year and saw Inciarte, Pollock, and Peralta all pre-arbitration and made the obvious choice to trade Parra.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not against signing Parra, nor for it either. Its too soon to tell honestly. Given his career up to this point I sure would't invest long term.

And if the Orioles are going to sink resources int oa long term outfielder may as well overpay for top quality. Look who is available full list at (COTS)

Top tier only (* means an option so don't expect Jose Bautista to actually be available.)

Outfielders

Jose Bautista *

Yoenis Cespedes

Jason Heyward

Gerardo Parra

Justin Upton

Cespedes won't cost a pick either as he was traded mid season.

Parra will certainly be the cheapest, but he is also the most likely to be replaceable by someone from AAA.

If the Orioles invest multi years and 10's of millions of dollars into an outfielder, may as well get a rare talent.

I'm not against signing Parra, nor for it either. Its too soon to tell honestly. Given his career up to this point I sure would't invest long term.

And if the Orioles are going to sink resources int oa long term outfielder may as well overpay for top quality. Look who is available full list at (COTS)

Top tier only (* means an option so don't expect Jose Bautista to actually be available.)

Outfielders

Jose Bautista *

Yoenis Cespedes

Jason Heyward

Gerardo Parra

Justin Upton

Cespedes won't cost a pick either as he was traded mid season.

Parra will certainly be the cheapest, but he is also the most likely to be replaceable by someone from AAA.

If the Orioles invest multi years and 10's of millions of dollars into an outfielder, may as well get a rare talent.

Personally, I would love to get Heyward. Realistically, I think we sign Nate McLouth. And I'm only half-kidding! :)

Personally, I could care less what he does for us. If he is lights out, we should throw money at him and if he stinks, we should not offer him a contract? Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint. The front office is paid good money to make judgments on players. Is this year's production a fluke or has it taken this guy 6 years to reach his potential? This is the crucial question that needs to be answered by the baseball people in the organization. If this year is repeatable, he'll be a bargain. If it's a career year, he could be a waste of money...

I don't think it's fair to make judgments about a player based on the fact that he was traded.

For Milwaukee, the trade was a no brainer. He's a decent player who is going to be a FA on a team going nowhere. The Orioles offered a B prospect for him. That's just good business.

When he got traded from Arizona, they had AJ Pollock, Ender Inciarte, David Peralta, Mark Trumbo, Cody Ross, and Parra all competing for 3 spots in the outfield. They're a small-market team and looked at this year and saw Inciarte, Pollock, and Peralta all pre-arbitration and made the obvious choice to trade Parra.

I'm not basing my opinion solely on his being traded.

Personally, I could care less what he does for us. If he is lights out, we should throw money at him and if he stinks, we should not offer him a contract? Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint. The front office is paid good money to make judgments on players. Is this year's production a fluke or has it taken this guy 6 years to reach his potential? This is the crucial question that needs to be answered by the baseball people in the organization. If this year is repeatable, he'll be a bargain. If it's a career year, he could be a waste of money...

I agree. Even if he is only average the rest of the way, Fangraphs has him as worth 46 million over the last 3 years. Giving him a 3/30 million dollar deal isn't a bad deal for us at all especially since he's only 28 and fills a major position of need.

I'm not basing my opinion solely on his being traded.

I hadn't heard anything about that. In fact, Dan said he received a great character recommendation about Parra. I take it you have some inside information that the teams weren't enamored with him? Blink twice for yes

I hadn't heard anything about that. In fact, Dan said he received a great character recommendation about Parra. I take it you have some inside information that the teams weren't enamored with him? Blink twice for yes

I haven't heard character issues. Just am not under the impression that Brewers or DBacks will be beating down the door. I could definitely be wrong.

Archived