NYT: The Invention of Walk Up Music

weams

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/sports/baseball/former-white-sox-organists-offbeat-approach-resonated-for-decades.html?_r=1&referrer=

"I didn't do it for the player; I was there for the enjoyment of the fans,"
But then came walk-up music as we now know it. Faust said she was approached by a member of the White Sox' marketing department, who told her that the Cleveland Indians had begun letting players choose their own walk-up songs.

What ensued was that she would play walk-up music for opponents, while a stadium D.J. would control the songs for White Sox players.

This new approach, she said, eliminated spontaneity, and maybe enthusiasm. "If you have momentum going, and you've got three guys on base and the next guy comes up to bat, and you've got the fans going crazy - and it all stops to listen to what I might liken to a musical selfie?" Faust said. "It just stops the momentum. And then you've got to hope you can get it going again."

Interesting read on how this came about.

As far as music before and throughout the game (pitching changes, etc), OPACY is really superb, imho. I've heard what sounds like an instrumental passage of Beck's "Loser" play in some situations, either pitching changes or visits to the mound. Their use of Beatles' "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number) is brilliant in those situations. And I'm not sure if a game has gone by when I haven't heard a Replacements song played during BP or pre-game. Heard Marshall Crenshaw some, too.

As far as music before and throughout the game (pitching changes, etc), OPACY is really superb, imho. I've heard what sounds like an instrumental passage of Beck's "Loser" play in some situations, either pitching changes or visits to the mound. Their use of Beatles' "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number) is brilliant in those situations. And I'm not sure if a game has gone by when I haven't heard a Replacements song played during BP or pre-game. Heard Marshall Crenshaw some, too.

He is sublime in his choices and timing.

They play the "Loser" track prior to every game, when they announce the opposing team's starting lineup. Nobody has ever been bothered by it except Blue Jays fans, who completely flipped out after the OPACY home opener this year.

They play the "Loser" track prior to every game, when they announce the opposing team's starting lineup. Nobody has ever been bothered by it except Blue Jays fans, who completely flipped out after the OPACY home opener this year.

It's most accurate for them.

Ha! It's the least we can do for them ;)

I also really like the instrumental version to The Cure's "Fascination Street" that they often play between innings or before games, and using that Violent Femmes "Blister In The Sun" acoustic riff to try and get the fans clapping. (I just really wish there could be a permanent ban on "If You're Happy And You Know It"" -- that song grates on my nerves)

I believe when Chris Getz played for the Royals his walkup song was the RBI Baseball theme. That could not possibly be topped and if I were a player I'd be annoyed that I didn't think of it first.

If I had a choice I'd pick something really stupid, just because I think the whole idea walkup music is kind of silly. Maybe "Islands in the Stream" or "Afternoon Delight" or the Gilligan's Island theme song or something like that.

Archived