Baby got to eat...

EagleOriole

How about Caleb Joseph? He is now sitting on a .250/.325/.429/.754 OPS. Kid is a good defensive catcher and a leader.

Watched the Os pre-game and Buck was talking about him. You can see how much he likes the young man. Said that it was Brady that went down to watch AA and came back and told the staff that they have a really good defensive catcher that needs fine tuning and they were wasting him by playing him at 1B for half his at-bats. It was a good segment if anyone else is smart enough to find it and link it.

How about Caleb Joseph? He is now sitting on a .250/.325/.429/.754 OPS. Kid is a good defensive catcher and a leader.

Watched the Os pre-game and Buck was talking about him. You can see how much he likes the young man. Said that it was Brady that went down to watch AA and came back and told the staff that they have a really good defensive catcher that needs fine tuning and they were wasting him by playing him at 1B for half his at-bats. It was a good segment if anyone else is smart enough to find it and link it.

I did not know that, but it was evident that 2014 spring training that he was being given EVERY chance to win that backup role. EVERY chance.

Caleb's current OPS is .754. That would be higher than Matt's 3 of the last 6 years (Matt's current OPS is .733).

I do think that splitting time with Matt though has helped Caleb perform a little better offensively. That said, there is no doubt that the emergence of Caleb is huge for this team going forward. It lets us sign a decent backup catcher instead of having to go find a starter and allocate those resources somewhere else.

Yeah, this rotation with Wieters is working out pretty well. Pretty obvious he ran out of gas last year. Already a 1.6 WAR in only 67 games and 212 AB's. Pretty good production. He won't be good for 140 games like Wieters but put him down for 90-100 with another competent catcher and he should be fine for a few years. Clevenger should work. I'm also a fan. Great story for us and the organization.

Brady is a forward thinking, out-of-the-box guy whom Buck trusts implicitly and who I have little doubt will succeed when he steps into his first GM position. He's not only making sure many of our guys have an avenue to better fitness, but he understands analytics. I'd be surprised if he wasn't the choice when Duquette leaves, especially with ownership's penchant for saving a buck.

Yeah, this rotation with Wieters is working out pretty well. Pretty obvious he ran out of gas last year. Already a 1.6 WAR in only 67 games and 212 AB's. Pretty good production. He won't be good for 140 games like Wieters but put him down for 90-100 with another competent catcher and he should be fine for a few years. Clevenger should work.

Agreed. Clevenger is actually a perfect fit to platoon with him IMO. Clevenger can play against RHP and Caleb can play against LHP (and a few games vs RHP against teams that steal a lot of bases).

I like the way he calls games too. Great approach at the plate too. His emergence has made Matt's inevitable departure easier to stomach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caleb could easily be a starting catcher. Who know, with Matt only able to play part-time at catcher, maybe the Orioles can resign him for a reasonable contract -- that is if they want to resign him.

Speaking of Matt Wieters and his health: there was an article in last week's Sports Illustrated about players who were unable to come back after TJ surgery. The article was mostly about pitchers, but it's possible that Matt might not be able to come back at full strength. So far, he has only been able to be a part-time catcher.

If it really was Brady, then I see why Brady is such a rising star. Joseph came out of nowhere. I really like watching the guy play. I don't think he can play 5-6 days a week without his bat slowing down, but I am fairly certain he can play 3-4 days a week and produce well. I'm a big fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He is what he is... but DON'T throw him a hittable fast ball! :P

If it really was Brady, then I see why Brady is such a rising star. Joseph came out of nowhere. I really like watching the guy play. I don't think he can play 5-6 days a week without his bat slowing down, but I am fairly certain he can play 3-4 days a week and produce well. I'm a big fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brady is no fool. He knows the game just as much Cal or anybody else. Brady is our future GM.

Brady is a forward thinking, out-of-the-box guy whom Buck trusts implicitly and who I have little doubt will succeed when he steps into his first GM position. He's not only making sure many of our guys have an avenue to better fitness, but he understands analytics. I'd be surprised if he wasn't the choice when Duquette leaves, especially with ownership's penchant for saving a buck.

Brady is our future GM. No doubt about it. A player who understands the game completely and takes time to help players get where they need to be.. such as Britton, Tillman and Matusz. Only thing that tops a CF/OF (as Brady played LF early in his career) and a SS is a player who was a catcher as seen with Amus and Matheny. I finished my junior and senior year playing baseball in Mike Matheny's hometown (Reynoldsburg, Ohio). Was taught many things by him during the offseason when he came in to work out at the highschool and to help out and he passed that knowledge on to Twins back up catcher Eric Fryer.

Caleb's current OPS is .754. That would be higher than Matt's 3 of the last 6 years (Matt's current OPS is .733).

I do think that splitting time with Matt though has helped Caleb perform a little better offensively. That said, there is no doubt that the emergence of Caleb is huge for this team going forward. It lets us sign a decent backup catcher instead of having to go find a starter and allocate those resources somewhere else.

Great post. Agree 110%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived