What would you offer Heyward?

El Gordo

2013-2015 rWAR

Heyward: 13.7

Markakis: 3.7

Yup, pretty close.

Markakis: 27.1 rWAR in 1469 games

Heyward: 28.4 rWAR in 782 games

Markakis isn't in the same stratosphere.

If Heyward continues at this pace, he'll be nearing a Hall of Fame caliber career by time he's Markakis' age.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Defensive metrics don't like Markakis for whatever reason. They LOVE Heyward.

Heywards war last season was the biggest joke and wy you can't just look at WAR. Comparing two players with the same WAR

Player A .314/.410/.542/.952. 38 doubles 6 triples 25 homers 89 runs 83 RBI 18 SB WAR 6.4

Player B .271/.351/.384/.735 26 doubles 3 triples 11 homers 75 runs 58 RBI 20SB. WAR 6.4

Player B must get to every ball hit in the enitre outfield left right and center to have the same war.

His OBP isn't even that great it is good. I know WAR loves the guy but i just don't see anything that is a plus plus part in his game except his arm.
..265 .351 .430 .781 114 OPS+. That's good in my book. According to Fangraphs he is the 4th best RF in MLB the best defensive RF and a decent base stealer. DRS has him as the best defensive RF with 13 RS so far.

If Heyward continues at this pace, he'll be nearing a Hall of Fame caliber career by time he's Markakis' age.

Indeed, a horrible comp. It was like saying you wouldn't want to sign Adam Jones because he's too much like Rajai Davis. That's the difference in level of value.

If you look at their first 5-6 seasons the are closer.We all know that WAR loves Heyward but here are Heywars numbers compared to Nick through awround same number of at bats.

Heyward 2818 AB 418 runs 748 Hits 148 doubles 93 homers 327 RBI .265 ave 351 OBP .781 OPS WAR 28

Nick's 2994AB 448 runs 891 hits 206 doubles 89 homers 422 RBI .297 ave .368 OBP .842 OPS WAR 17.7

Something to keep in mind is Heyward is still very young (will be under 27 entering next season).

A team could offer him a fairly generous contract with an opt-out after years 3 or 4. He'd still be under 30 at that point and probably highly inclined to take it unless he seriously underperforms for what ought to be his prime years.

Orioles could offer him something like 8/160 [3/50 + 5/110]. I'd still be shocked to see the Orioles offer anyone that kind of contract, I don't think they'll be willing to do the ~6/100M deal that CD will command.

These sorts of comparisons happen when folks don't include defense into the calculations.

Nick played gold glove calliber defense for the Orioles in his first 5 years. It is no like Markakis was Manny or Henley Rameriez out there.

Nick played gold glove calliber defense for the Orioles in his first 5 years. It is no like Markakis was Manny or Henley Rameriez out there.

Heyward is significantly better defensively then Nick ever was.

To put it simply he provides quality center fielder level skill in right field.

Archived