Any Interest in Dombrowski if DD leaves?

brianod

I've always admired the aggressiveness and for a similar market, he tended to go for it much more than what we have here. Of course, maybe he went for it too much. The Cabrera and Verlander contracts are going to hurt for years. My guess is that he probably learned from his mistakes and I would think his aggressiveness may be a good fit for an organization that is notorious for slow movement and vacillation. I'm not saying I'd hire him but it is an interesting possible fit.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've always admired the aggressiveness and for a similar market, he tended to go for it much more than what we have here. Of course, maybe he went for it too much. The Cabrera and Verlander contracts are going to hurt for years. My guess is that he probably learned from his mistakes and I would think his aggressiveness may be a good fit for an organization that is notorious for slow movement and vacillation. I'm not saying I'd hire him but it is an interesting possible fit.

Dan Duquette won't leave until 2019. If Dombroski is available at that time I would consider it.

I bet Dombrowski's more interested in a role as President than GM at this point in his career. Dombrowski really has nothing left to prove as a GM. Along with Duquette, he laid the foundation for the great 1994 Expos team. He won a World Series with the expansion Marlins. He took the laughingstock Tigers who were coming off eight consecutive losing seasons and turned them into a powerhouse. If Dombrowski retired now, he would go down as one of the greatest GMs of all-time. I don't know why he would want to start all over again as GM at age 59.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dave Dombrowski is out as Detroit president/GM. Stunning. Players heard the news about 15 minutes ago. Speculation he ends up in Toronto.</p>— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="

">August 4, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dave Dombrowski is out as Detroit president/GM. Stunning. Players heard the news about 15 minutes ago. Speculation he ends up in Toronto.</p>— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="
">August 4, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mike Illitch commented about Dowbrowski's departure in a statement:

“I’ve decided to release Dave from his contract in order to afford him the time to pursue other career opportunities. I feel this is the right time for the Tigers to move forward under new leadership.”

I'm fairly sure he is retiring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What makes you think so? Ilitch said "I've decided to release Dave from his contract in order to afford him the time to pursue other opportunities." That doesn't sound like a guy who is retiring.

Mike Illitch commented about Dowbrowski's departure in a statement:

“I’ve decided to release Dave from his contract in order to afford him the time to pursue other career opportunities. I feel this is the right time for the Tigers to move forward under new leadership.”

I think he got fired...

Sounds like DD will not have the Toronto possibility much longer.

Dan Duquette has not had the possibility of the Toronto job since Beeston turned down the trade of Norris, Hoffman, and Pentecost for Duquette. The door slammed shut at that moment. It's just some media types that have kept the dream alive.

"I would like to thank Dave Dombrowski for his 14 years of service," Ilitch said in the statement. "Together we've enjoyed some success, but we're still in aggressive pursuit of our ultimate goal: to bring a World Series title to Detroit and Michigan. I've decided to release Dave from his contract in order to afford him the time to pursue other career opportunities. I feel this is the right time for the Tigers to move forward under new leadership."

Pretty sure he got fired...

"I would like to thank Dave Dombrowski for his 14 years of service," Ilitch said in the statement. "Together we've enjoyed some success, but we're still in aggressive pursuit of our ultimate goal: to bring a World Series title to Detroit and Michigan. I've decided to release Dave from his contract in order to afford him the time to pursue other career opportunities. I feel this is the right time for the Tigers to move forward under new leadership."

Pretty sure he got fired...

Pretty sure he got traded.

Dave Dombrowski is one the 5 best GMs in baseball. I would toss Duquette on the street for him in a heart beat but I don't think that's an option.

He's one of the few GMs that can trade very well both ways (ie. trading for prospects and trading away prospects). When Joe Maddon was let go, I wasn't jealous because we had Buck. But Duquette isn't on the same level.

Archived