Is Wieters hurt?

wildcard

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gary mentioned it in a broadcast recently, and I think he may be right. Wieters could be the first one to accept a QO. It gives him a good opportunity to get healthy and get offered a big deal after that. The only down side is he will be 31 in his first season on a new deal, in this scenario, but does anyone see Wieters getting a huge deal coming off of this season?

I've seen it on other boards, but I guess we're not supposed to talk about that. I thought Roch wrote about it once - I'll see what I can find.

I find it very difficult to believe that it wouldn't be reported on the national sites by now if it was a fact. We all know about the Cespedes situation. How could ESPN, MLB Trade Rumors, MLB network, Fox Sports, CNNSI ect all drop the ball?

I find it very difficult to believe that it wouldn't be reported on the national sites by now if it was a fact. We all know about the Cespedes situation. How could ESPN, MLB Trade Rumors, MLB network, Fox Sports, CNNSI ect all drop the ball?

Cespedes was on the Red Sox, a team that the national media actually follows?

Here is Henneman for what it's worth:

Chen's contract is unique in that, as an international signee, he has a contract that allows him to become a free agent at the end of its four-year run. But it also allows the club to make a qualifying offer, and thus get draft choice compensation if he leaves. It's doubtful if the Orioles are even entertaining any other approach.

http://www.pressboxonline.com/2015/06/19/orioles-wei-yin-chen-dustup-may-be-the-first-of-many

Cespedes was on the Red Sox, a team that the national media actually follows?

Here is Henneman for what it's worth:

Chen's contract is unique in that, as an international signee, he has a contract that allows him to become a free agent at the end of its four-year run. But it also allows the club to make a qualifying offer, and thus get draft choice compensation if he leaves. It's doubtful if the Orioles are even entertaining any other approach.

http://www.pressboxonline.com/2015/06/19/orioles-wei-yin-chen-dustup-may-be-the-first-of-many

While it is undoubtedly true that certain teams get more coverage then others it is a huge stretch to say that they wouldn't do their job just because a player plays for Baltimore. Especially when the players agent is Boras who is certainly the Red Sox/Yankees of the sport agent world.

No, I think you still stick all three of them with QOs. Boras' ego is definitely our friend here. Wieters would have to have a total collapse, maybe even be physically unable to perform, before Boras would even consider taking a QO. And there's almost no performance that would force him to do that with Chen.

I agree. Duke has stated numerous times that he tried two times to sign Matt and both times was rejected. There is NO chance in hell Boras allows Matt or Chen to sign QO. And if by some chance Matt accepts it...fine, we have an All-Star catcher for one more year who is motivated to redefine his value for the open market. I'm okay with that.

I'm also more and more willing to take a chance on The Big Fella and throw some serious cash his way, and let all the rest of the FA walk. Caleb has for two years now (minus a huge slump last September) shown that he can handle the starting duties behind the plate.

I could have sworn I read it somewhere from an actual reporter, but I can't find anything right now. Maybe I just read it here.

There was talk about Cespedes, whose contract is set up that way. IIRC, someone mentioned that Chen't contract allowed him to be a FA after four years, but did not deny the club the right to offer him a QO. If this is wrong, I hope someone will correct me.

I'd be willing to buy out a couple years of FA for the right price. I wasn't negative on Tillman even when he was struggling earlier this year. If we could get a team friendly deal that bought out 1-2 years of FA and provided him with some security, I'd do it without much fear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So that's a 4 year deal. What kind of money?

I would not offer Wieters a QO. I don't need a pick that bad to take the chance. There's always the chance we wind up with Wieters at 1/17 and no pick anyway.

I agree with this. I think our starting catcher next year should be Caleb Joseph and I am 100% happy with that.

Archived