Stan "The Fan" Charles: Failing To Re-Sign Chris Davis Could Set Orioles Back For Years

PressBoxOnline

I agree for a .250 ish hitter (on a solid year) with 30 Hrs and 100 RBIs - those are worse than Bautista numbers who signed 5 years at $64 million. And who knows he could revert back to 2014 numbers which are pretty bad for $70 million.
I think the market is much better for those kind of numbers today. And even if he reverts to 2014 form he still would have been a 30 HR 90 RBI guy without the suspension. If that's the worst case scenario for him I think he gets paid.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chris Davis is an impact player and his production wouldn't be easy for the O's thin farm system to replace in the short-term, but...

... lets not get carried away here. He isn't a mega franchise definining superstar like Machado. He's basically Ryan Howard.

Exactly. If we "fail" to sign CD, we can always revisit the decision and fill the hole with another player through trade or free agency. This would set us back a year or two.

If we sign CD for 10/$250M and he starts to decline, we are locked into the 2014 version of CD for 10 years. Now that would really set back the organization for years to come.

Chris Davis is an impact player and his production wouldn't be easy for the O's thin farm system to replace in the short-term, but...

... lets not get carried away here. He isn't a mega franchise definining superstar like Machado. He's basically Ryan Howard.

So are you saying we should trade for Ryan Howard instead of signing CD?

If we have to open up the vault, I'd rather get Machado locked up long term first. Then extend Jones for a few more years. He took a team friendly deal once. Now let's reward him with a few more years of guaranteed money. Keep that man happy.

If we did those two things and didn't re-sign any our FA's, I'd be thrilled about this upcoming offseason.

No...failing to extend Machado this off-season could set the Orioles back for years.

Jones is signed through 2018 and Manny 2019 I believe. They are not priorities this offseason. Not sure why everyone keeps saying they are?

Listening o DuqXM today it doesn't sound like there is much enthusiasm, in the organization for signing him (if Duq in any way is a reflection of the warehouse thinking). He said if Davis' market is in the 70 M range maybe. They seen to think he is too inconsistent to take the risk of a long term big money contract.

I agree with the sentiment that Davis is too inconsistent to lock into LT big money and thus he's gone. I'd probably entertain the $70-$90M range and then wish him well. The key is how the club responds to this loss. I expect we will be hearing how great Christian Walker is and what great strides he has made with the glove.

I agree that extending Machado is the most important offseason priority.

But if this franchise wants to be a consistent winner, it's either going to have to develop a much more productive farm system or it's going to have to pay market value for a good player sooner or later.

No truer two thoughts. We can't continue to let guys walk and not replace them with our own cheap home grown talent. Problem is as you said we don't have a productive farm system. We'll just end up wasting money playing inflated FA prices for lesser players because that's the only option we have. I'd be pissed if I'm Jones, Hardy and Machado if we don't sign at least two of our guys.

Archived