Stan "The Fan" Charles: Failing To Re-Sign Chris Davis Could Set Orioles Back For Years

PressBoxOnline

Listening o DuqXM today it doesn't sound like there is much enthusiasm, in the organization for signing him (if Duq in any way is a reflection of the warehouse thinking). He said if Davis' market is in the 70 M range maybe. They seen to think he is too inconsistent to take the risk of a long term big money contract.

I would do 4/70 on Davis in a heartbeat. Even 4/80. He will be priced out of what our FO will be willing to pay though. He probably gets something in the range of 5/100.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im guessing Davis ends up in Boston. If so, that would be bad for the Orioles. If we lose Davis, Id prefer to lose him to the national league team or a team that is in another division.I don't think we will re-sign him which will be too bad because there just aren't those kinds of power hitters easily available. On the other hand signing him for 6 years at 120m which is what Ive heard is a bad deal too.

I'm guessing that with Hanley, and Sandoval, and Ortiz...Boston has no interest.

I would like to see them sign him, but at the same time I think they could get Mike Napoli for MUCH cheaper since he's coming off a down year (which is basically all BABIP driven) and he would provide pretty similar production to Chris.

I would like to see them sign him, but at the same time I think they could get Mike Napoli for MUCH cheaper since he's coming off a down year (which is basically all BABIP driven) and he would provide pretty similar production to Chris.

Napoli is a bum. I wouldn't waste any money on him as he is an over the hill powerless dh now. Him as a replacement for Davis is almost as bad as nobody. I predict without Davis next season this team finished 10-12 games below 500.

Yeah I really don't see the sudden push to resign Davis. I was all for having him back this season to see if he could bounce back (which he technically has) but let's not forget that he was pretty awful last year and he's proving this year that 2013 was a fluke. The type of player he is, isn't a bad player to have. He's valuable but he's going to get paid too much by someone. Just give him the QO and be done with it, unless you can sign him for an Adam Jones type deal.

Napoli is a bum. I wouldn't waste any money on him as he is an over the hill powerless dh now. Him as a replacement for Davis is almost as bad as nobody. I predict without Davis next season this team finished 10-12 games below 500.

Yeah he's definitely a bum.

Last 3 calendar years:

Adam Jones: 117 wRC+

Mike Napoli: 117 wRC+

Last 2 calendar years:

Mike Napoli: 118 wRC+

Those numbers are including his poor season this year as well and he's still been a very similar hitter to Jones the past few years. He has not had a great season this year but the only thing hurting him this season is a terrible BABIP. He still walks a ton, has actually cut down on his strikeouts, and has good power.

He's going to be pretty cheap. He would be a very smart buy low candidate. Similar to Kendrys Morales this past offseason.

What About the fact that Hanley can't play outfield?
Can he play 1B? Boston signs Davis, strengthens their lineup, weakens ours, a win-win for them. Seattle lets Logan Morrison walk and get some payback for the Jones trade. Houston could be ready to spend money. We will have competition with deep pockets.

Can he play 1B? Boston signs Davis, strengthens their lineup, weakens ours, a win-win for them. Seattle lets Logan Morrison walk and get some payback for the Jones trade. Houston could be ready to spend money. We will have competition with deep pockets.

Sounds factual.

Yeah he's definitely a bum.

Last 3 calendar years:

Mike Napoli: 117 wRC+

Last 2 calendar years:

Mike Napoli: 118 wRC+

Those numbers are including his poor season this year as well and he's still been a very similar hitter to Jones the past few years. He has not had a great season this year but the only thing hurting him this season is a terrible BABIP. He still walks a ton, has actually cut down on his strikeouts, and has good power.

He's going to be pretty cheap. He would be a very smart buy low candidate. Similar to Kendrys Morales this past offseason.

Bud Norris is going to be cheap too after having a horrid year do you want him also?? Have you even watched Napoli this season? He is awful. He looks out of shape to me and had regressed to no tool player. About all he is good for is a good batting eye and taking a walk on close pitches. He can't run, can't field and now is a mediocre hitter with no power. In short - he reeks!

Bud Norris is going to be cheap too after having a horrid year do you want him also?? Have you even watched Napoli this season? He is awful. He looks out of shape to me and had regressed to no tool player. About all he is good for is a good batting eye and taking a walk on close pitches. He can't run, can't field and now is a mediocre hitter with no power. In short - he reeks!

There's a big difference between the two and I think you know that as well. Norris had a great year last year but had been a pretty bad starter for the majority of his career. Even his peripherals last year showed that it was somewhat of a fluke. Why do you think a number of people on this board were in favor of selling high on Bud? Napoli is just about the complete opposite. He has been a very good, consistent hitter throughout his career and the only thing really off this year is that he's had awful luck.

Bud had one good season (with his peripherals saying he was nowhere near as good as his ERA) after a career of being mediocre to below average. Napoli has had a career of being a very good hitter and he's still walking, striking out less, and hiring for power. He's just been unlucky.

He's also one of the better fielding first basemen in the game. Obviously it's "only" first base but he's still pretty good over there.

Archived