Stan "The Fan" Charles: Failing To Re-Sign Chris Davis Could Set Orioles Back For Years

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rochester

Not to sound too simplistic but one may think that the ADHD Med Exemption would be of concern, and in a perfect world, written into a contract. No, it won't happen but who knows how rules may change regarding this - meds and exemptions are not constants.

I won't argue the rest, But I do not believe this. At all.

I guess if you believe it is possible for statutes to play great defense! No way we should be taking Boston rejects and letting them take arguably one of the top power hitters in baseball!

I agree that extending Machado is the most important offseason priority.

But if this franchise wants to be a consistent winner, it's either going to have to develop a much more productive farm system or it's going to have to pay market value for a good player sooner or later.

I agree with the sentiment that Davis is too inconsistent to lock into LT big money and thus he's gone. I'd probably entertain the $70-$90M range and then wish him well. The key is how the club responds to this loss. I expect we will be hearing how great Christian Walker is and what great strides he has made with the glove.

This is exactly what is going to happen.

Christian Walker will be replacing Davis because Walker fills the same roster spot and costs a fraction of what Davis will make with no long term commitment.

This may be the ration decision. But we all wish a better option was playing in Norfolk right now.

I won't argue the rest, But I do not believe this. At all.

Just what the advanced stats have said. Obviously Parmelee was supoosively a stud at 1B but didn't seem special at all so it's not like I'd say the Orioles should sign him because of his fielding.

I guess if you believe it is possible for statutes to play great defense! No way we should be taking Boston rejects and letting them take arguably one of the top power hitters in baseball!

I said I hope they sign Davis. I would definitely rather have Crush. But IF Davis walks (most likely due to money) I definitely see Napoli as the leading non-Christian Walker replacement due to the fact that he will likely not cost a ton and has a good chance at being a ~.800 OPS guy. He also gets on base, which this team needs more of.

I said I hope they sign Davis. I would definitely rather have Crush. But IF Davis walks (most likely due to money) I definitely see Napoli as the leading non-Christian Walker replacement due to the fact that he will likely not cost a ton and has a good chance at being a ~.800 OPS guy. He also gets on base, which this team needs more of.

Napoli makes $16M this year. How much of a cut in pay do you think he'll get to "likely not cost a ton?'

I think Dan will sign O'Day 7/21m.

Then he will go into the off season with the team below.

Then is January with almost 40M in his pocket Dan will sign players that can improve this lineup.

2016 Payroll Estimate

1) .51m Mancini - 1B

2) .52m Schoop - 2B

3) 12.5m Hardy - SS

4) 5.5m Machado - 3B

5) .51m Alvarez - RF

6) 16.3m Jones - CF

7) TBD

8) .52m Joseph - C (shared)

9) .51m Paredes - DH/OF

10) 2m Reimold - OF

11) .53M Lough - OF

12) 1.5m Flaherty - UIF

13) .51m Clevenger - C

14) .53m Gausman - SP1

15) 7m Tillman - SP2

16) 13m Jimenez - SP3

17) 5.5m Gonzalez - SP4

18) .51m Wilson - SP5

19) 4.5m Britton - RP1

20) 7m O'Day - RP2 (3/21m)

21) 1.52m Brach - RP3

22) .52m Roe - RP4

23) .51m McFarland - RP5

24) .51m Givens - RP6

24) .51m Cabral - RP7

25) 1.5m Vladimir Guerrero (deferred compensation)

Sub Total 84.99m of earned salary

Minus 2.25m deferred from Jimenez

Minus 2m deferred from Hardy(best guess)

Total 80.79m salaries to be paid in 2016

120m-80.79 = 39.26m

Not to sound too simplistic but one may think that the ADHD Med Exemption would be of concern, and in a perfect world, written into a contract. No, it won't happen but who knows how rules may change regarding this - meds and exemptions are not constants.

He had an exemption.

He either chose to let it lapse or he lost it in the crackdown.

He very publicly failed a test and was suspended.

He was again awarded an exemption.

I do not think a scenario where he once again loses the exemption is likely.

I think Dan will sign O'Day 7/21m.

I still think this is unlikely. Yes, we have a lot of money coming off the books, but we will also have huge gaps on the team. Given how resourceful Dan is at acquiring bullpen arms, I'm extremely skeptical Dan is going to commit 20+ million dollars to O'Day when our outfield is a wasteland, our rotation is losing one of its most consistent starters, and both 1B and DH are huge question marks. At the very least, Dan is going to need to get a decent outfielder and starter. Those two alone could eat up ~thirty million dollars of next year's payroll. Then he's going to need some money for depth signings and stop gaps. I think it's more likely that Dan trades away Britton than it is that he signs O'Day.

I'll throw my support behind whoever's already said that failing to develop a decent MiL system is what will set the O's back for years.

It takes at least half a decade of being the worst team to do that. Anymore. Since you can't buy the "TypeA" guys at the end and turn them into extra high picks.

Archived