Who leaves for Garcia? (Update: Givens Recalled)

Rene88

If Tillman can't pitch then you put him on the DL. Skipping him once is acceptable but once you get to twice then you might as well back date a 15 day DL trip.

Yeah but it sounds like he can start but he could easily tweek it in the 2nd inning. Flaherty came off DL and was thought to be good to go and then in his first game got hurt early in game. They still need a long man which they do not have.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it was MacFarland, a guy who is limited to mop up/long relief duty when we are already behind, maybe. The difference between Garcia and Givens could EASILY be a win or two over the next three plus weeks. Garcia is a guy who put up a 3.57 ERA between Low A and High A ball last season. It will not be pretty when he enters the game.

I think you are downplaying the importance.

Could the small sample size be a win in Garcia's favor? Is it possible that Givens get in a huge jam like I saw him have in AA and not get out of it only allowing one run? I like having both of these arms.

Could the small sample size be a win in Garcia's favor? Is it possible that Givens get in a huge jam like I saw him have in AA and not get out of it only allowing one run? I like having both of these arms.

Any good reason why MacFarland couldn't have been the guy sent down? In the rare occasion when we need to use a long reliever, Brach doesn't have a problem going three innings. Also, I imagine that is when you might use Garcia. When we are already down a bunch.

Any good reason why MacFarland couldn't have been the guy sent down? In the rare occasion when we need to use a long reliever, Brach doesn't have a problem going three innings. Also, I imagine that is when you might use Garcia. When we are already down a bunch.

What if we need someone for five. What if they do try Tillman and he pitches two thirds of an inning. What if Gonzalez and Ubaldo absolutely stink. Are we supposed to just give up the games we are down by six runs in?

What if Brach pitched two innings the night before?

What if we need someone for five. What if they do try Tillman and he pitches two thirds of an inning. What if Gonzalez and Ubaldo absolutely stink. Are we supposed to just give up the games we are down by six runs in?

You throw a couple guys at 2-3 innings each to get through the game. We are talking about the extreme what-if where as there are going to be way more games over the next three weeks when we could use Givens' arm, but will be forced to put in Garcia or someone that is not well-rested for fear of using Garcia.

You throw a couple guys at 2-3 innings each to get through the game. We are talking about the extreme what-if where there are going to be way more games over the next three weeks when we could use Givens' arm, but will be forced to put in Garcia or someone that is not well-rested for fear of using Garcia.

Or maybe Garcia would be as good as Givens. You and I don't know.

Yes. We do know. Don't be silly. Givens dominated AA despite you seeing him once when he didn't. Garcia was struggling a bit during his rehab.

They both looked real good. Both. And I saw Givens several times AND he is good. I am a supporter. If Garcia stinks it sound like Dan is prepared to cut bait.

Or maybe Garcia would be as good as Givens. You and I don't know.

No evidence to suggest that.

You have one guy that has been dominant in AA all season and has been dominant in his SSS with Baltimore. Another guy that had poor command and fringe stuff in his only big league showing. In his most recent large sample size in A ball last year he put up pedestrian numbers, so little reason to think he can jump three levels and be effective.

Maybe we could call up Christian Walker and sit Chris Davis and Walker would be as good as Davis. You and I don't know. I think that's a poor argument. You want to put your team in the best position to win based on what we do know. And Givens recent performance in the Minors and in the Big Leagues has been a lot more promising.

It is possible, that this only matters three times before Sept. 1. I would not gamble on that sample size being big enought to make any difference.

Maybe it doesn't. But even if it costs us one game, that's bad. We can't afford to concede anything at this point in the season. I would have even gone with eight bullpen guys until Pearce is back to mitigate the risk further. Snider can be DFA'd. We have Lough and Reimold (when Davis in in RF) as reserve OFers.

Maybe it doesn't. But even if it costs us one game, that's bad. We can't afford to concede anything at this point in the season. I would have even gone with eight bullpen guys until Pearce is back to mitigate the risk further. Snider can be DFA'd. We have Lough and Reimold (when Davis in in RF) as reserve OFers.

Maybe it costs no games. Maybe it works out fine. I don't know.

No evidence to suggest that.

You have one guy that has been dominant in AA all season and has been dominant in his SSS with Baltimore. Another guy that had poor command and fringe stuff in his only big league showing. In his most recent large sample size in A ball last year he put up pedestrian numbers, so little reason to think he can jump three levels and be effective.

Maybe we could call up Christian Walker and sit Chris Davis and Walker would be as good as Davis. You and I don't know. I think that's a poor argument. You want to put your team in the best position to win based on what we do know. And Givens recent performance in the Minors and in the Big Leagues has been a lot more promising.

A reasonable argument. You may be right.

Archived