What worries me

weams

Chen had a 2.76 ERA after the ASB last year, averaging well over 6 IP per start. I'm not that worried about him. Gonzo worries me more, and Ubaldo worries me most.

I agree about Chen.

I think that he will be OK in the long run (in terms of the remainder of the 2015 baseball season.)

I'm more concerned about Gonzalez ...... somewhat similarly to the way that I was concerned about Tillman one month ago, before he regained his groove.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is why I'm perfectly ok with letting someone else overpay for Chen in the offseason. He's a good #3 starter but nothing more. You can't count on him to be putting up TOR results over the course of an entire season. If you don't have two other SP who are significantly better than him in your rotation, your rotation isn't very good.

He's consistently going to get rocked 5-6 times per year, pitch a gem 3-4 times per year, and in the rest of his starts he'll give up 2-4 runs in 5-6.2/3 innings. In other words, your offense usually has to show up if you want to win with him on the mound. That's all well and good but it's not necessarily irreplaceable.

This is why I don't think it's a playoff team. Gonzo hasn't been the same since coming back from injury. He's been a downright disaster. As has Ubaldo. And Chen just doesn't have any stamina any more. Chen and Gonzo should have gotten fat off of the Athletics...and, well, just didn't.

There's nothing going right for the starting rotation right now outside of Gausman.

Ubaldo: bad since ASB.

Chen: Stamina is lacking. Can't get righties out to save his life.

Gonzalez: Just a mess for awhile now (since the injury for sure).

Tillman: Missing 2 starts and could be DL'ed...no idea how he'll pitch coming back from that.

Gausman: Pitched very well last 2 outings.

That rotation is a mess. I have no idea how they're going to work this out going forward.

This is why I'm perfectly ok with letting someone else overpay for Chen in the offseason. He's a good #3 starter but nothing more. You can't count on him to be putting up TOR results over the course of an entire season. If you don't have two other SP who are significantly better than him in your rotation, your rotation isn't very good.

He's consistently going to get rocked 5-6 times per year, pitch a gem 3-4 times per year, and in the rest of his starts he'll give up 2-4 runs in 5-6.2/3 innings. In other words, your offense usually has to show up if you want to win with him on the mound. That's all well and good but it's not necessarily irreplaceable.

He won't get TOR money. He's not a TOR guy. More or less a middle of the rotation guy at best having a career year (which might end up being an average year at his current going rate).

This is the issue with the O's. No aces. Just a bunch of middle of the rotation guys. Yes, it works fine when they're all pitching well, but they're relying (hoping?) on Gausman, Harvey, Bundy becoming those aces. Problem is this doesn't work when young pitchers get injured and the farm system is a disaster.

All issue's of concern always said Chen IMHO was not a guy who held up well over full seasons.
Huh? Career FIP:

1st half: 4.25

2nd half: 4.11

Koji sweated a lot when he was a starter. That meant that he was tired. Koji is from Asia. Chen is from Asia. Therefore Chen gets tired a lot. Ergo, Chen can't pitch deep into seasons. That's just elementary logic, man.

All issue's of concern always said Chen IMHO was not a guy who held up well over full seasons.

It has to get better then that we've done OK against the lousy teams, but we we'll pay dearly when the good teams come calling if that pitching continues.

He won't get TOR money. He's not a TOR guy. More or less a middle of the rotation guy at best having a career year (which might end up being an average year at his current going rate).

This is the issue with the O's. No aces. Just a bunch of middle of the rotation guys. Yes, it works fine when they're all pitching well, but they're relying (hoping?) on Gausman, Harvey, Bundy becoming those aces. Problem is this doesn't work when young pitchers get injured and the farm system is a disaster.

The Orioles have the most wins in the AL East over the past three and a half seasons and they've never had an ace. Of course more good players never hurts, but I don't really see the problem.

The Orioles have the most wins in the AL East over the past three and a half seasons and they've never had an ace. Of course more good players never hurts, but I don't really see the problem.

Saying we need an Ace/TOR, is very similar to the Miss Congeniality movie and all the contestants having to say "World Peace".

I agree wholeheartedly. That's why I want the Orioles to go after a frontline starting pitcher like Jordan Zimmerman more than a position player like Jason Heyward. Zimmerman is one of the safest bets in free agency IMO. Super reliable, very durable and will likely age well due to his pitching style. He would be a great fit with this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all the politicking concerning Chen this year, I wonder if he was expecting/hoping to be traded. I know Boras was. No QO. I'm sure it's not that though. He just ran into the Tigers. I expect him to have a huge start in that big ballpark in Seattle. No worries for me about Chen. Just that he has SATAN :angryfire: as his agent.

Trevor Wilson can be plugged into the rotation if Ubaldo, Chen or Gonzo continue to struggle. Gonzo and Chen even have options, if I recall correctly.

Sure, they'll plug Tyler Wilson in the rotation if Chen or Gonzo struggle. Except that it took a horrible year from Norris for Gausman to get a shot. Don't hold your breath. :rolleyestf:

What worries me is when CD cools off. Right now he is carrying this team, but if/when he hits the cool spot I think we will be done. I hope not, but look at the last couple weeks. Without Chris Davis we are already out of it. Maybe he will just keep on rolling and end up with 50 HR's. We can always hope.

Archived