The new-look bullpen is going to kill this team

Three Run Homer

The pen has been a strength of this team all season, but after all the wheeling and dealing of the last two weeks, the team now has three relievers (Garcia, McFarland and Roe) who can't be trusted in a game situation. And Matusz can't be trusted against right handers.

Granted, Britton and O'Day have been outstanding and Brach has been very good (last night's home run notwithstanding). But you can't win games over the long haul with half a bullpen.

But hey, at least we saved $1.2 million of Tommy Hunter's salary and got some flexibility.

The pen has been a strength of this team all season, but after all the wheeling and dealing of the last two weeks, the team now has three relievers (Garcia, McFarland and Roe) who can't be trusted in a game situation. And Matusz can't be trusted against right handers.

Granted, Britton and O'Day have been outstanding and Brach has been very good (last night's home run notwithstanding). But you can't win games over the long haul with half a bullpen.

But hey, at least we saved $1.2 million of Tommy Hunter's salary and got some flexibility.

So you are saying this team was better with Norris and Hunter. Got it?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I don't have a problem trading Hunter. I just don't understand why McFarland and Garcia is up here instead of Wilson and Givens. A bullpen with O'Day, Britton, Brach, Matusz, Roe, Wilson and Givens would still be formidable. The Orioles could have Brach and Givens working as the bridge to O'Day and Britton while Roe tries to work through his struggles. Garcia serves no purpose with this team and McFarland just isn't a good pitcher period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a problem trading Hunter. I just don't understand why McFarland and Garcia is up here instead of Wilson and Givens. A bullpen with O'Day, Britton, Brach, Matusz, Roe, Wilson and Givens would still be formidable. The Orioles could have Brach and Givens working as the bridge to O'Day and Britton while Roe tries to work through his struggles. Garcia serves no purpose with this team and McFarland just isn't a good pitcher period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garcia is up here for the same reason McFarland and Flaherty were with the team previously. He is a Rule 5 that they want to keep. Period.

I think we've downgraded our pen a little for the time being, but I doubt that will be the thing that kills us. The starting pitching is what's killing us right now.

And like the complete collapse of RISP was a couple of weeks ago when the starting pitching was smoking. Stars are just not lined up for us this year.

I'll second that "Pleeeease!" We lost Tommy Hunter, an average ML reliever. If he was the difference between winning and losing ........ I didn't trust him either. Givens already looks better than Hunter. They just screwed up by sending him down.

He'll be back in September. Garcia will hide in the pen and get work in blow out games so other arms can rest until then. Offering him back with just a few weeks left before rosters expand is a bigger waste. It wan unfortunate Givens was sent down, but there really was no other choice. It's not going to make much difference.

He'll be back in September. Garcia will hide in the pen and get work in blow out games so other arms can rest until then. Offering him back with just a few weeks left before rosters expand is a bigger waste. It wan unfortunate Givens was sent down, but there really was no other choice. It's not going to make much difference.

If not sooner.

Archived