James Loney Would Welcome A Trade

JayGibbons31

I didn't say he wasn't. I just said that Parrish hides the ball well also.

I'm not saying Parrish is going to be the best LH reliever in the game like Ryan is (he or Wagner). I just think he can be a very good reliever. Comparing him to Ryan is an easy comparison because they throw the same pitches, have similar velocity, and followed similar career paths. Ryan went from good stuff with command problems to a solid setup man to a dominant closer. Right now Parrish is still in the good stuff with command problems phase, but he apears to be moving into the solid reliever/setup man phase. Who knows if he can make another jump up, but to completely dismiss the idea is pretty irresponsible.

You're right... though i don't agree that Parrish will become a setup man. Ryan had more things going for him (i.e. delivery and better slider and control). Parrish fits the middle reliever role fine and will be a great asset for us.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're right... though i don't agree that Parrish will become a setup man. Ryan had more things going for him (i.e. delivery and better slider and control). Parrish fits the middle reliever role fine and will be a great asset for us.
Ryan's big advantage was his size. That's what allows his delivery to be so deceptive. I think Parrish will develop a similar level of control. His pitches are just as good as BJ's, the hitter just gets no read on Ryan's until its too late. I don't think he'll be as good as Ryan, but I definitely think he can be a great setup man or even a closer if he develops the level of control that is neccesary.

He already is even if he isn't in that position. He is better than Baez.

Parrish, if he stays healthy, is one of the top 3 pitchers in the pen, along with Williamson(if he stays healthy) and Ray.

What do you mean right now? He's pitched two games and been dominant so far.

He didn't pitch in spring training? There was still speculation he wasn't going to make the team. And he did not have that great of an outing yesterday except for the Morneau K (he has struck out 4 times already though).

Back to Loney.....

He is a perfect target for us. Good defensively, developing power, high OBP guy, young and very cheap.

Some of his power numbers suffered in the minors because of a wrist injury(similar to Kotchman and AGon).

Sounds good which probably means theres a snowballs chance in hell we could ever get him.

Ryan's big advantage was his size. That's what allows his delivery to be so deceptive. I think Parrish will develop a similar level of control. His pitches are just as good as BJ's, the hitter just gets no read on Ryan's until its too late. I don't think he'll be as good as Ryan, but I definitely think he can be a great setup man or even a closer if he develops the level of control that is neccesary.

Yeah BJ is 7 inches taller. Another reason why Parrish won't be close to Ryan

He didn't pitch in spring training? There was still speculation he wasn't going to make the team. And he did not have that great of an outing yesterday except for the Morneau K (he has struck out 4 times already though).

In ST he had a 16:2 K/BB ratio over 9 IP. I'll certainly take that as his peak, so would any pitcher on the planet. And he's been just as good during the regular season.

And his outing yesterday was fine. It included 2 strikeouts, a legit 1B, and a 1B that bounced off of his leg.

I know you are sort of joking but i do think this could be in their thought process. Luckily Loney can also play the OF.

As I mentioned in my post on the previous page, we could involve Loney in a three-way deal to get Tex.

In ST he had a 16:2 K/BB ratio over 9 IP. I'll certainly take that as his peak, so would any pitcher on the planet. And he's been just as good during the regular season.

And his outing yesterday was fine. It included 2 strikeouts, a legit 1B, and a 1B that bounced off of his leg.

Come on, you can't take spring training stats as a correlation to what he can do. A majority of the time he wasn't pitching against bench players or prospects once the starters were taken out

The only way Parrish can improve beyond his ceiling is by improving his delivery to be more deceptive and to gain better control. His spring stats do show better command so I'll give you that

Come on, you can't take spring training stats as a correlation to what he can do. A majority of the time he wasn't pitching against bench players or prospects once the starters were taken out
I only brought up the ST stats because you did. I still don't understand what you meant by saying he's at his peak right now.

He's pitched fantastically since coming back from the injury. Obviously the result from ST don't mean a whole lot, but the lack of walks is important. He hasn't walked anybody over 2.2 IP so far and has had 4 K's. He's going to need to get 20 or so IP under his belt before we have a real good idea for what level he's at right now, but you really have to be very encouraged by what we've seen from Parrish so far. The only thing that's ever held him back from being a great reliever is his control. It looks like he may be harnessing his stuff. If he does, his "ceiling" becomes one of the better LH relievers in the game.

I'd also love it if I never see him do that stupid snap pickoff throw to 1B.

Is Gutherie a wildcard here? He is a MLB ready pitcher and if he pitcheswell to the break like he did in Spring Training, does he bring some value either as part of a deal or as someone we can rely on when we trade other bullpen help?

Is Gutherie a wildcard here? He is a MLB ready pitcher and if he pitcheswell to the break like he did in Spring Training, does he bring some value either as part of a deal or as someone we can rely on when we trade other bullpen help?

If Guthrie is decent, he's gotta go by the deadline.

Archived