Hardball Times: Trading Disgruntled Players

weams

http://www.hardballtimes.com/trading-disgruntled-players/

I go back and forth. On the one hand, you want to reward teams for their trading ability. If they can read the market and turn their recent acquisition into something better, or if they misread the value of their acquisition and have to sell low, they ought to receive credit (or discredit) for their judgment. On the other hand, consider a team that trades a veteran for a prospect who pans out. The team gets 10 good years out of the prospect then trades him for another prospect who also pans out. When scoring the initial trade, it seems wrong to credit the team with the success of the first prospect and the second prospect for whom the first prospect was traded years later.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has nothing to do with the off-season. Has nothing to do with where his heart is. Baltimore.

If the Orioles let Davis, Wieters, and O'Day walk and replace them with the AAAA guys they replaced Cruz and Markakis with, I think you will see his heart looking to relocate. Look how Jones responded when Nick left. Especially if the Orioles fail to make the playoffs.

If the Orioles let Davis, Wieters, and O'Day walk and replace them with the AAAA guys they replaced Cruz and Markakis with, I think you will see his heart looking to relocate. Look how Jones responded when Nick left. Especially if the Orioles fail to make the playoffs.

That was just barking about Nick. Just that. Adam does not support your viewpoint. Nor mine. Adam has an Adam thing. He's here.

Who says we are a losing team? You? Who says the team will be worse without those guys and their contract burdens? You?

If they replace Davis production with a guy that puts up what Travis Snider just did, and replaces Chen with what Norris just gave us, it's not a stretch to say this will. E a sub .500 team next year. And history doesn't give me any evidence the Orioles will look to add impact players this offseason.

I have no idea what Adam thinks or feels. But looking at it from my perspective he is underpaid.

And if the team isn't trying their best to win then why would he stay here. He is from Southern California.

Thats why I think its imperative that the Orioles make sure Manny and Adam are locked up long term.

I have no idea what Adam thinks or feels. But looking at it from my perspective he is underpaid.

And if the team isn't trying their best to win then why would he stay here. He is from Southern California.

Thats why I think its imperative that the Orioles make sure Manny and Adam are locked up long term.

I AGREE 100%. Adam has made Baltimore his home, while he's here. But if this team isn't committed to winng, I'm sure he'd feel just at home in LA or NY.

Archived