First memories at camden yards (or memorial stadium)

MDtransplant757

So I was planning a trip with my family to go to baltimore to see the O's play, and I asked my mother about her memories back in the day (parents were season ticket holders from 1995-1998), and just the rush of her nostalgia compelled me to ask about your memories from the ballpark that changed baseball.

o

In 2005, my brother and I made the 4-hour trip from Brewster to Baltimore to see the Orioles play the Yankees.

The game was rained out, and we were relegated to watching them play the Indians the next day.

But that was just the beginning.

We spent the next 2 hours walking all over the city because we forgot which garage we parked our car in.

Finally we went to a nearby hotel to go to sleep, and it cost more than $200 for the night.

The next afternoon we continued to look for the car for another 2 or 3 hours, with no luck.

We went to the Orioles PR department, and a very nice lady by the name of Joyce somehow gave us an educated guess of which garage our car was parked in ...... and she was correct !!! :eektf:

Needless to say, the game itself was anti-climactic for us, as finding our car gave us a new lease on life (literally AND figuratively.)

To me, the upgrade of Camden yards from Memorial Stadium, was like trading in a 20 year old piece of junk for a brand spanking new Caddy with all the bells and whistles.

Location was so much better (At least for myself) and it was really engineered very well and a thing of beauty.

It's still the best stadium in MLB, of course, again, just my opinion.

To me, the upgrade of Camden yards from Memorial Stadium, was like trading in a 20 year old piece of junk for a brand spanking new Caddy with all the bells and whistles.

Location was so much better (At least for myself) and it was really engineered very well and a thing of beauty.

It's still the best stadium in MLB, of course, again, just my opinion.

I went to Memorial Stadium one time in April of 1979. My cousin Donnie (Yankee fan) took me (he was a great cousin.)

Memorial Stadium was a piece of junk, but it had history and personality. ;)

I went to Memorial Stadium one time in April of 1979. My cousin Donnie (Yankee fan) took me (he was a great cousin.)

Memorial Stadium was a piece of junk, but it had history and personality. ;)

Memorial Stadium was more like your favorite pair of old shoes. By the end, they were worn and ragged, but they still felt so comfortable and you hated having to let them go.

Thankfully, you found an even better pair to replace them.

My first memory of OPACY was an O's-Royals game in 1992. We sat in the left field upper deck, my mom booed George Brett mercilessly, and there were these kids in front of us randomly chanting the "I Feel Like Chicken Tonight" commercial slogan over and over again.

Memorial Stadium was more like your favorite pair of old shoes. By the end, they were worn and ragged, but they still felt so comfortable and you hated having to let them go.

Thankfully, you found an even better pair to replace them.

My first memory of OPACY was an O's-Royals game in 1992. We sat in the left field upper deck, my mom booed George Brett mercilessly, and there were these kids in front of us randomly chanting the "I Feel Like Chicken Tonight" commercial slogan over and over again.

Lol. I might be going to Kansas City this year, so it's gonna be funny if they do the same thing that people did at oriole park back in the day.

I first memory of Camden Yards was seeing Chris Hoiles hit a grand slam against the Indians in 93'. I believe Ripken also had a home run in that game.

Does anyone remember the Orioles handing out train whistles to blow on during games at Camden Yards.

I was at the June 1992 game where Mike Devereaux made a spectacular leaping catch to rob Joe Carter of a certain homer, and the O's won 1-0. Most still consider that to be the greatest catch ever made at OPACY. I'm not sure if it was my first game at OPACY, but if not, it was close.

My first O's game was September 15, 1979. O's got blown out by the Red Sox, over 47000 in attendance (largest regular season crowd at Memorial up to that point in time), Yaz got his 3001st hit, Bob Watson became the first person to have hit for the cycle in both leagues. Dennis Martinez took the loss, Stan the Man Unusual also pitched.

Sometime in 1991 I went to a day game at Memorial, and on the way out of town we stopped by the OPACY construction site and looked in through a fence at the half-completed ballpark.

I actually don't remember my first game at OPACY. Sometime that first year, probably May or June. I probably have the program, ticket stub, and box score in a box in my garage. I should go look for that, we just cleaned up the garage this weekend. I remember a very early OPACY game where Gregg Olson gave up a game-winning extra-inning homer to Frank Thomas that went way, way up in the center field bleachers, but I'm not sure if that was my first game at the park.

Drungo,

I remember seeing Gregg Olson's curve in person at OPACY and it seamed so much more menacing in person, than on HTS.

He had Jose Canseco in his prime, bailing like a scared school boy and they were straights.

It looked like he was throwing at his head, and then snap, this big break and the ball would drop down and catch the corner.

Man, when he was on, he was on.

But, like the little red head with curls, when it wasn't on, it surely wasn't. LOL

Archived