In 2016, I want to stretch Britton back out and make Brach the closer for 2016.

isestrex

He was a great starting prospect but got shaken due to an early call up. I think he has the confidence to take his sinker back to the rotation.

As for Brach, I think he's ready to take over the role. His ERA+ and FIP have improved every season for 4 straight years and he's enjoying a terrific K% rate to help with the closers job.

If it ain't broke...

ctbulb-1mil-party.gif

Are you saying the rotation is in no need of improvement?

I'm not sure if this is a rhetorical/facetious question, but in the event that it isn't ......

What Scott is saying is that Britton is pitching very well in his current role, and he is using the proverbial "A Bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush" philosophy.

So if our starting rotations needs a pitcher (or pitchers), then don't make a new hole to patch up an already existing hole ...... because when you do that, you sometimes wind up with 2 holes. The first example that comes to mind for me is what the Yankees did with Joba Chamberlain in 2008. Chamberlain was pitching great in the bullpen, but the Yankees moved him into the starting rotation because they needed a starter. Chamberlain did not pitch well as a starter, and when he returned to the bullpen he was never the same again.

I suppose that you could argue that there have been examples in baseball history in which a transition from reliever to starter HAS worked for a pitcher(s), but Scott is taking the conservative approach, and not wanting to tempt fate.

I remember when a dominant Rich Gossage was made a starter by the White Sox in 1976, and he was far from the pitcher that he was as a reliever (9-17, 3.94 ERA, and a 1.357 WHIP.)

Fortunately for Gossage, when he returned to his role as a reliever in 1977, he picked up right where he had left off in 1975 prior to the experiment (unlike what happened with Chamberlain more than 3 decades later.)

I'm saying we have a closer.

People said the same when we had Jim Johnson doing the business in 2012.

Okay, Britton is much better than Johnson...which actually kind of works for an argument as to why we should give him a try as a starter, haha, now that I think of it. (Was never in favor of trying Johnson out there, because he didn't have any track record as a decent starter, Britton on the other hand does) Anyways, the point I was going to make is yes, Britton is better than Johnson, but closers are also worth less than we think.

I have been in favor of trying Britton as a starter since he first made the switch to the bullpen. I liked the switch but I liked it only as a gateway to making him a starter. I believed in him as a starting pitching prospect and still think there is something there.

People said the same when we had Jim Johnson doing the business in 2012.

Okay, Britton is much better than Johnson...which actually kind of works for an argument as to why we should give him a try as a starter, haha, now that I think of it. (Was never in favor of trying Johnson out there, because he didn't have any track record as a decent starter, Britton on the other hand does) Anyways, the point I was going to make is yes, Britton is better than Johnson, but closers are also worth less than we think.

I have been in favor of trying Britton as a starter since he first made the switch to the bullpen. I liked the switch but I liked it only as a gateway to making him a starter. I believed in him as a starting pitching prospect and still think there is something there.

Britton 2014-2015 to this point is actually comparable to Jim Johnson 2011-2012. I don't see how it's relevant; JJ was never a starter and won't be. I agree that closer as a concept (and saves) aren't worth so much, but relief pitching overall is more important than ever.

Archived