Cubs will try to trade Murton

wildcard

I wish we would trade for him.

He is a great buy low candidate.

I agree but the O's have no 25 man roster space for him with Payton and Gibbons on the team.

He has an option. They could trade for him and put him at Norfolk until they move some guys.

MacPhail has already traded for Murton once when MacPhail was with the Cubs. He is a MacPhail kind of guy as a first round draft choice. MacPhail likes high draft choices, like Scott Moore.

From BasballReference.com

1) Drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the 1st round (32nd pick) of the 2003 amateur draft. Player signed July 8, 2003.

2) July 31, 2004: Matt Murton was traded as part of a 4-team trade by the Boston Red Sox with Nomar Garciaparra to the Chicago Cubs. The Minnesota Twins sent Doug Mientkiewicz to the Boston Red Sox. The Montreal Expos sent Orlando Cabrera to the Boston Red Sox. The Chicago Cubs sent Brendan Harris, Alex Gonzalez, and Francis Beltran to the Montreal Expos. The Chicago Cubs sent Justin Jones (minors) to the Minnesota Twins.

He is the odd man out.

Davearm can't be happy about this.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/862002,cubs032608.article

I'm thrilled actually.

The Cubs could've traded Murton, plus more, for Marlon Byrd -- a lesser player than Reed Johnson.

Or they could've overpaid for a guy like Crisp that's owed $10M+ and could legitimately threaten Pie's development.

Or they could've gotten stuck with Jay Payton.

I couldn't be happier with how this situation has resolved itself. So Murton opens in AAA. BFD. At least he's there if the Cubs need him... or if some other team gets serious about paying fair value for him.

I'm thrilled actually.

The Cubs could've traded Murton, plus more, for Marlon Byrd -- a lesser player than Reed Johnson.

Or they could've overpaid for a guy like Crisp that's owed $10M+ and could legitimately threaten Pie's development.

Or they could've gotten stuck with Jay Payton.

I couldn't be happier with how this situation has resolved itself. So Murton opens in AAA. BFD. At least he's there if the Cubs need him... or if some other team gets serious about paying fair value for him.

Good for you Dave. It's good to have a Markakis like hitter waiting at AAA.

So we are going to pass up trading little for Murton so we can have 3-4 months of Payton? Idiotic.

Define "little".

The Cubs would love to get Murton into a situation where he can play everyday in the majors, but they're not trying to give him away.

Archived