TT: Duquette's moves have been Schizophrenic of late

Tony-OH

As most of you know, I'm not a DD basher. I think he's done some great things since taking over and I fully believe that ultimately GMs are graded on wins and losses. Every team Duquette has put on the field has been in the playoff hunt late into the summer, something that was rare around Baltimore since the late 90s prior to his arrival.

Saying that, I think his moves this off season and especially of late have been Schizophrenic at best. Is he going for it or not? And by going for it, does he means just slip into the playoffs with a one-game wild card birth or by putting a team together that could win a world series?

Everyone knows my thoughts on trading Davies for Parra. It's not that I don't believe in trading prospects for talent that can improve your major league team, it's just that I don't believe Parra made the Orioles a World Series contender. Are the potentially better with him playing everyday vice what they already had, sure, but the bit it improved the club did not move the needle at all on whether they are suddenly a World Series contender. To me, if you are not a World Series contender, you don't trade away potential cheap starting pitching candidates that you can control for six years.

But here's the other thing i don't get, if we are a playoff caliber team, and I can only imagine that DD thinks we are after the Parra trade, why then do you trade away Hunter and keep a clearly not ready for the big league pitcher Jason Garcia? How not ready is Garcia? Buck won't even discuss him as an option when talking about his bullpen options with Gary Thorne after the game yesterday.

Can anyone truly make a case where Garcia makes this team better than Hunter (who I was never a big fan of but who is at least a major league pitcher right now)?

So why on one hand are we trading away a pitching prospect for an outfielder that makes us slightly better than trade away a pitcher for lesser pitcher that makes us slightly worse?

Why is he releasing one outfielder (Snider) for an outfielder who basically has put up the same kind of numbers but bats right-handed and a few years younger? Did this move the bar any?

It's almost like DD just wants to slip into that last playoff slot just so he can improve that resume and say his teams have made the playoffs 3 of the 4 years he was here. I'm not against the Orioles making the playoffs of course, but last year was the only year I felt like the Orioles were a true World Series contender, which is why I was not upset about the Miller-E-rod trade.

In the words of the wise Kenny Rogers, you gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run. Well, with so many free agents to be and ownership that has so far been unwilling to keep it's free agent to be for the most part, it may have been time to fold them and retool for next year.

(sorry for any typos or grammar, I typed this quick).

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed on all fronts.

The one move that really has me wondering is Lake? Why is he up here? He has done nothing offensively and is average defensively. At this point, in LF, why not just stick with Lough. He gives you great defense and none of the other options are hitting a lick. Heck. Why not give Alvarez a shot at this point. It can't be any worse than what we have now between Lake and Reimold.

One thing that you didn't mention in this post re: your opposition to the Davies-Parra trade is that you have a MUCH higher opinion of Davies than most other people do. The fact that you think he will have a better career than Eduardo Rodriguez goes a long way to understanding your strong opposition to that trade. One could still be against the trade with a lesser opinion of Davies' MLB future, but people that think he is a middle reliever or #5 starter at best are understandably more forgiving of giving him up for the minor upgrade of Snider to Parra.

I think he was realy hoping to add Revere to the team to solidify the team but at the end the Jays came in with a better offer. He let Hunter go and was expecting that if Revere came someone needed to go in the pen to give us some options. The organization not just DD must feel very highly of Garcia to keep him here so I am not going to just blame him for keeping him on the team. He has basically tried everyone in the organization for the two corner outfield spots but noone has done anything he just keeps thinking at some point one of these guys will go through a hot spell kinda like Paredes which wil help us down the stretch.

Perhaps he is seeing each move separate of the other ones, not some huge plan tying in together? I have no issue getting rid of Hunter; there were plenty of arms that I trust to replace him for the rest of this season. It's good to get anything for him. Of course, since then Wright went on the DL. But I believe this gives us more flexibility in the pen.

Garcia is a move for the future. We only need him on the roster for three weeks and we get him for good. Not that bad of an idea.

Parra is here because we are in the wildcard hunt and still have a chance. As so many have stated, just get into the playoffs and anything can happen.

Saying that, I think his moves this off season and especially of late have been Schizophrenic at best. Is he going for it or not? And by going for it, does he means just slip into the playoffs with a one-game wild card birth or by putting a team together that could win a world series?

Everyone knows my thoughts on trading Davies for Parra. It's not that I don't believe in trading prospects for talent that can improve your major league team, it's just that I don't believe Parra made the Orioles a World Series contender. Are the potentially better with him playing everyday vice what they already had, sure, but the bit it improved the club did not move the needle at all on whether they are suddenly a World Series contender. To me, if you are not a World Series contender, you don't trade away potential cheap starting pitching candidates that you can control for six years.

It's almost like DD just wants to slip into that last playoff slot just so he can improve that resume and say his teams have made the playoffs 3 of the 4 years he was here. I'm not against the Orioles making the playoffs of course, but last year was the only year I felt like the Orioles were a true World Series contender, which is why I was not upset about the Miller-E-rod trade.

My word, man, you actually used the the words "World Series" five times in this post. Some people will say you're expecting too much. World Series contender is an even better theme here. I don't remember Buck ever saying they were playing to be competitive late into the summer. In fact, I specifically remember him saying his goal was to win the whole thing every year.

Exactly what I've been wondering, are we going for it or not? Because I'm not convinced with the likes of Parra and Lake.

I'm fine with DD padding his number and us slipping into that last playoff spot. Sign me up. Most of these moves have just been desperation moves. Just hoping that someone comes up and gets hot. Just firing all our bullets. Next season I would like to have more of a set lineup with optionable guys on the bench.

This isn't a poker game with a binary choice between holding and folding. What Duquette was doing at the deadline, and (I hope) is still trying to do, seems obvious: strengthen the team's chances to make the playoffs this year while not giving up too much (and not taking on future salary) for 2016 and beyond -- for which the 25-man roster is, probably to him and the rest of the organization as much as to us, a complete unknown. My guess (because it's the way I would have looked at it) is that when the deadline wheeling and dealing started Duquette was willing to give up a little more in the hope of making a run at the division, but that as hos hoped-for deals fell through and he saw the Jays' moves he downshifted his sights to the wildcard.

It's fair to fault Duquette for not being more aggressive about going for the ALEast title this year. I've had that feeling myself, but on reflection I think my own view is driven by an emotional desire to see this group get another crack at the ALEast and the World Series before its members are dispersed (and the NYY and Sox start throwing around cash in the off-season). Conversely, you can say Duquette should have given up on this year and tried to get some future return for our free agents. And you certainly can argue that he undervalued Davies (I would disagree) or Hunter (I would agree), or that he overestimated the contribution Parra would make this year or Lake's potential. (My impression is that the Hunter trade was based on the belief that Roe could do as well or better in that role, and if so that's not looking too good.)

But I don't see anything schizophrenic, or strategically flawed, in trying to make limited upgrades for a stretch run while limiting the moves that would affect the uncertain future of the Orioles.

DD has had a terrible year. Just terrible. If I was ownership, I'd sit him down and make sure his heart is in it. You can't hold him prisoner to his contract if he doesn't want to be here. Next year is a crucial year. We need his best or someone else's best to see us through it.

As most of you know, I'm not a DD basher. I think he's done some great things since taking over and I fully believe that ultimately GMs are graded on wins and losses. Every team Duquette has put on the field has been in the playoff hunt late into the summer, something that was rare around Baltimore since the late 90s prior to his arrival.

But here's the other thing i don't get, if we are a playoff caliber team, and I can only imagine that DD thinks we are after the Parra trade, why then do you trade away Hunter and keep a clearly not ready for the big league pitcher Jason Garcia? How not ready is Garcia? Buck won't even discuss him as an option when talking about his bullpen options with Gary Thorne after the game yesterday.

Can anyone truly make a case where Garcia makes this team better than Hunter (who I was never a big fan of but who is at least a major league pitcher right now)?

So why on one hand are we trading away a pitching prospect for an outfielder that makes us slightly better than trade away a pitcher for lesser pitcher that makes us slightly worse?

Why is he releasing one outfielder (Snider) for an outfielder who basically has put up the same kind of numbers but bats right-handed and a few years younger? Did this move the bar any?

In the words of the wise Kenny Rogers, you gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run. Well, with so many free agents to be and ownership that has so far been unwilling to keep it's free agent to be for the most part, it may have been time to fold them and retool for next year.

(sorry for any typos or grammar, I typed this quick).

I still think DD thought he was headed out of town up North, and then his corner dumpster diving OF's laid and egg on him along with some UNDER PERFORMING pitchers, and no budget to fix it gets you those type of moves. Still think we missed the boat to SELL.

And NO getting PARRA is NOT GOING FOR it no matter how hard DD tries to sell it as that. :laughlol: and I REALLY like Parra AND had no issue with the deal (Davies for Parra), but this team needs more then just him.

This isn't a poker game with a binary choice between holding and folding. What Duquette was doing at the deadline, and (I hope) is still trying to do, seems obvious: strengthen the team's chances to make the playoffs this year while not giving up too much (and not taking on future salary) for 2016 and beyond -- for which the 25-man roster is, probably to him and the rest of the organization as much as to us, a complete unknown. My guess (because it's the way I would have looked at it) is that when the deadline wheeling and dealing started Duquette was willing to give up a little more in the hope of making a run at the division, but that as hos hoped-for deals fell through and he saw the Jays' moves he downshifted his sights to the wildcard.

It's fair to fault Duquette for not being more aggressive about going for the ALEast title this year. I've had that feeling myself, but on reflection I think my own view is driven by an emotional desire to see this group get another crack at the ALEast and the World Series before its members are dispersed (and the NYY and Sox start throwing around cash in the off-season). Conversely, you can say Duquette should have given up on this year and tried to get some future return for our free agents. And you certainly can argue that he undervalued Davies (I would disagree) or Hunter (I would agree), or that he overestimated the contribution Parra would make this year or Lake's potential. (My impression is that the Hunter trade was based on the belief that Roe could do as well or better in that role, and if so that's not looking too good.)

But I don't see anything schizophrenic, or strategically flawed, in trying to make limited upgrades for a stretch run while limiting the moves that would affect the uncertain future of the Orioles.

You think trading Davies for 2 months of Parra was a good idea?

Archived