Death knell? 1998 Redux?

Frobby

Here's bipolar: this team

- was 6 games under on June 4

- went to a 18-5 stretch to go 7 games over

- promptly went in to a 5-15 run to get to 3 under;

- follows it up with a 7-1 run to go 3 games over on Aug 1.

It seems they are now on another cold stretch.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could't disagree with this post more. Fear the manager? I think respect works better. Buck has squeezed just about the most production out of a middle of the road talent level team as he could. We need better players, not a new manager. He was just voted the best manager in the league by his peers.

I said "fear a little bit." And I did not advocate for the firing of anyone.

Well if there's a bright side in this...

It's that if our players were wanting to get the playoffs as dramatically as possible (like if this season was a movie script), this would be a perfect rock bottom moment from which to start their brilliant third act comeback and ascension.

They've got a long flight home and an off day to think about a 4-5 trip in which they played some very, very, beatable teams. After that, they've got a long stretch at home in which we better plan to win at least 7 of 10 if we plan to make a run. After that, we have a very difficult schedule.

I do not see this happening...

I'd like to see immediate changes on this roster, now more than ever. I'd waive Paredes or Lough or Reimold or all of the above. I'd give a roster shot to either Walker, Mancini, Alvarez, and I'd get rid of dead weight like Garcia, even if it means releasing him. Id give a spot to Steve Johnson and release Eddie Gamboa to make room for Johnson.This roster isn't getting it done.There was no reason to lose 2 of 3 to a truly crappy Seattle team, especially without their best hitter today, and at home where they are 7

games under .500.

This is how I feel.

Reimold(DFA), Lough(DFA), Lake and Mac all go.

Mancini, Alvarez, Clevenger and SJ/Drake come up. Time to empty the remaining bullets in our clip. Heck what's Delmon Young up to? Hopefully not 350.

This is not just directed at you. Buck's teams don't mail it in with over 1/3 of the season left. We're not "officially eliminated" from anything today. We just came off an 11-5 run, and we've now lost 2 straight. Yeah, being no hit sucks, embarassment on a national level, but it's one loss on a roller coaster ride. Consider...

If some of you want to call it over, that's your prerogative. Go watch the Ravens or Redskins. I'm going to "hang on for the ride" until, and if, we are ever really "officially eliminated."

I am gonna hang on for the ride as well.

That said Tony.....113 games in and we are essentially a .500 team and have pretty much played that way as well.

Think its a little snitty to tell people to go watch the Ravens or Redskins for simply observing what is unfolding for all to see. Are we supposed to pretend like this is last years team when everything we have seen to date tells us otherwise?

At some point you are what your record says you are. I will keep watching hoping for a miracle revival, but I do not see it happening.

Yes, we are only 2.5 games out of the wild card. Yes, a serious hot streak and we are right back in this thing. I just have a gut feeling that we aren't that good. Too many holes in the lineup, not enough consistency in the rotation. I did not watch the game, but a playoff team does not get no-hit by Iwakuma in a near-must-win game. Gausman could have been the guy to solidify the rotation but he has been a massive disappointment. If there is an answer, I just don't know what it is.

On the sunshine pumping tip, the Cubs were no hit and are currently a playoff team.

That reminds me of the Arrieta trade for Feldman...uggggggggghhhhh.

Still can't believe he's actually been that good so quickly after he was traded. Really wish he could've put it together here.

I am gonna hang on for the ride as well.

That said Tony.....113 games in and we are essentially a .500 team and have pretty much played that way as well.

Think its a little snitty to tell people to go watch the Ravens or Redskins for simply observing what is unfolding for all to see. Are we supposed to pretend like this is last years team when everything we have seen to date tells us otherwise?

At some point you are what your record says you are. I will keep watching hoping for a miracle revival, but I do not see it happening.

It wasn't my intent to be "snitty." I'm responding to those who are being a little temperamental saying it's all over after what we all agree was one b-slap of a game in a 162 game season. If you really feel it's over, then you will get little enjoyment over the next month and a half.

I never expected this would be "last year's team" and guesstimated 88 wins. Then again, there wasn't a lot of people who saw last year coming either. If I was still making predictions it would be that NY will finish behind us.

Yes, we are only 2.5 games out of the wild card. Yes, a serious hot streak and we are right back in this thing. I just have a gut feeling that we aren't that good. Too many holes in the lineup, not enough consistency in the rotation. I did not watch the game, but a playoff team does not get no-hit by Iwakuma in a near-must-win game. Gausman could have been the guy to solidify the rotation but he has been a massive disappointment. If there is an answer, I just don't know what it is.

I do not think KG has been a massive disappointment. He is a young pitcher learning his way.

Disappointing is the efforts of Norris, and to a lesser extent Miguel Gonzales who has been god awful since coming off the DL.

I know a lot of people want to blame the SP and to some degree they deserve blame but the reality is that most analysts were quick to point out that the performance of the staff from last year was unlikely to be repeatable and it turns out that has come to pass. Instead of protecting these guys by adding in more offense or improving the rotation, we choose to let offensive production walk away and not replace it. That is the story of the season, our pitching regressed and we did nothing to protect ourselves against that possibility. We bet that these guys would be the same guys that we saw the second half of last year in particular and has turned out (predictably) to not have happened.

It wasn't my intent to be "snitty." I'm responding to those who are being a little temperamental saying it's all over after what we all agree was one b-slap of a game in a 162 game season. If you really feel it's over, then you will get little enjoyment over the next month and a half.

I never expected this would be "last year's team" and guesstimated 89 wins. Then again, there wasn't a lot of people who saw last year coming either. If I was still making predictions it would be that NY will finish behind us.

Sorry if I took it the wrong way.

I am feeling a little blah after watching that .....sorry.

This is not just directed at you. Buck's teams don't mail it in with over 1/3 of the season left. We're not "officially eliminated" from anything today. We just came off an 11-5 run, and we've now lost 2 straight. Yeah, being no hit sucks, embarassment on a national level, but it's one loss on a roller coaster ride. Consider...

If some of you want to call it over, that's your prerogative. Go watch the Ravens or Redskins. I'm going to "hang on for the ride" until, and if, we are ever really "officially eliminated."

Thank you, Tony.

I'm looking forward to Friday's game, and the next Oriole victory.

We're still very much in it, and I'm going to enjoy every win from here on out, like I always do.

I do not think KG has been a massive disappointment. He is a young pitcher learning his way.

Disappointing is the efforts of Norris, and to a lesser extent Miguel Gonzales who has been god awful since coming off the DL.

I know a lot of people want to blame the SP and to some degree they deserve blame but the reality is that most analysts were quick to point out that the performance of the staff from last year was unlikely to be repeatable and it turns out that has come to pass. Instead of protecting these guys by adding in more offense or improving the rotation, we choose to let offensive production walk away and not replace it. That is the story of the season, our pitching regressed and we did nothing to protect ourselves against that possibility. We bet that these guys would be the same guys that we saw the second half of last year in particular and has turned out (predictably) to not have happened.

You are right, I did not mean to single out Gausman. Norris, Tillman, and to a leeser extent Miguel have all been disappointing.

Archived