Sick Pitchers Starting, particularly Chris Tillman

Nevermore

An article from today's Baseball Prospectus Premium edition. An earlier start from Chris Tillman was cited amongt the others. I wonder if either his ankle or his having gotten hit by a batted ball affected his start?

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=27199

excerpt:

July 31st, Orioles vs. Yankees

Sick starter: Chris Tillman

Pitching line: 5 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HR

ERA on the day/on the season: 7.20/2.38

Fastball velo on the day/on the season: 91.6/95.6

Team result: 11-5 win

How Tillman looked:

Game story description of sickness: ?flu-like symptoms,? ?lethargic,? ?weak,? ?sick for days?

Pitcher statement about sickness: ?I was kind of out there fighting stuff on the mound, just trying to get through.?

Time he made a batter look bad while being about to barf:

Manager statement about sickness: ?He obviously wasn?t feeling very good. He was pretty weak.?

Other comments: Bonus points for being on antibiotics.

Why did Tillman start today then? Pretty funny that SJ got a start today over Gamboa. Unless Garcia is taking batting practice AB's away from Reimold, Lough, Lake, Parades and Flaherty, he isn't hurting anything. Those 5 Baysox are.

I was at the game tonight. Steve Johnson only went 2 (shutout) innings and it surprised me. Gamboa came in for the 3rd and pitched about 3.2 innings, if memory serves. Was Johnson on some injury related restriction for pitches? Or is there speculation that he being called up if Tillman goes on the DL for that ball that hit him Tuesday?

I was at the game tonight. Steve Johnson only went 2 (shutout) innings and it surprised me. Gamboa came in for the 3rd and pitched about 3.2 innings, if memory serves. Was Johnson on some injury related restriction for pitches? Or is there speculation that he being called up if Tillman goes on the DL for that ball that hit him Tuesday?

He is strictly a reliever this year. Dont know why they had him start.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Archived