The "other side" to how AM handled this offseason

Sports Guy

This has been brought up in other threads but I felt it needed its own thread.

There are 2 sides to this offseason...The one side is that we are headed in a very good direction. This team is getting pitching depth, added a great young CFer and rid ourselves of a lot of salary.

The "other side" to this offseason is AN took too long to get things done and because of it, he may have hurt our chances of making other moves.

Right now, we have a pathetic SS...We have a log jam at Corner OFer/Corner IFer/DH of similar guys.

Meanwhile, there are a lot of guys out there to be had.

Felipe Lopez was bad last year but he has had some solid years in the past and certainly has more upside than LH.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1255871&posted=1#post1255871

In that thread, 2 links are provided...One link talks about how the Cubs are looking to deal Murton...Another link talks about Justin Huber being dealt for a PTBNL.

These are the types of guys we should have on our team...Not Millar(i don't have a big issue with Millar but still would rather have younger and more upside), Gibbons, Redman, Payton, Mora and Huff....We needed to get rid of some of these guys.

Instead, we have all of them and we are going to miss out on oppurtunities to make small deals to add these types of guys because we have no where to put them.

Again, AM did some very good things this offseason but he failed in others.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This, of course, assumes we wanted to make deals for rejects that 1) can't make bad teams and 2) aren't any longer-term solutions then what we have, and could find someone to take some of the logjam guys.

Well, if they aren't interested in guys like Murton, that is a problem too.

Oh sure.

I'm mostly talking about shortstop, because as much as I dislike the idea of a Luis there that isn't related to a local radio-station owner, Felipe Lopez or Alex Cintron aren't much more likely to be our long-term shortstop, so any additional money or players they would cost isn't really worth it.

Man, compared to where we were last year (or any year this decade), this is a dream for me. I'm not going to complain.

And I think a lot of people will take this view. But in reality minus Scott and Jones, we are fielding the same lineup as last season. Our backup catcher is better, but both Brandon Fahey and Luis Hernandez are on the roster as well as Kevin Millar, Jay Payton and Jay Gibbons. MacPhail gave us a good start to the rebuilding, but he failed to clear out the dreck that isn't giving guys like Moore and Costanzo, guys we acquired a shot to show what they have. In addition they brought back Steve Trachsel and guaranteed him a spot in the rotation before even evaluating guys like Penn, Olson and Liz. He's pitched poorly this spring, yet he's going to be our 3rd or 4th starter. Meanwhile guys like Claudio Vargas are floating out there.

We were hearing things about a huge roster turnover, but in reality that never happened. If I didn't know any better, I'd say we are tanking the season on purpose to get the #1 pick in the 2009 draft.

Oh sure.

I'm mostly talking about shortstop, because as much as I dislike the idea of a Luis there that isn't related to a local radio-station owner, Felipe Lopez or Alex Cintron aren't much more likely to be our long-term shortstop, so any additional money or players they would cost isn't really worth it.

Lopez could be a long term(ie 2-3 year) solution.

Money is basically meaningless.

We should re-visit Payton for Uribe.

And there are other SS options, like Joaquin Arias, that we should be looking at.

There is no way a major league team should have as pathetic an option at SS as Hernandez...There is not one ounce of justification for it...at least not intelligent justification.

Yes, I can see how Murton would clear our logjam of corner outfielders :P. In all seriousness, I don't have a problem with what Am did/didn't do this off-season. Unless a player we could get is someone who fills a hole for us long term, then there really isn't much if any harm done. And someone like Lopez, who would certainly be nice to have, you don't know what it would cost to get him and chances are it wouldn't be worth it.

Yes, I can see how Murton would clear our logjam of corner outfielders :P. In all seriousness, I don't have a problem with what Am did/didn't do this off-season. Unless a player we could get is someone who fills a hole for us long term, then there really isn't much if any harm done. And someone like Lopez, who would certainly be nice to have, you don't know what it would cost to get him and chances are it wouldn't be worth it.

This type of attitude has led us to 10 pathetic years.

Exactly we could have made more moves, but it seems we want to field the most pathetic team possible. They should just eat Gibbons contract or give him the Sammy Sosa treatment and tell him just not to show up to the ballpark putting him on the 60 day DL. Somebody would take Payton if we ate some contract.

And there are SS available right now that can be had for nothing. We shouldn't resign to losing 100 games when we don't have to. They should be doing everything they can to put a decent team on the field. Not doing anything saying we are going to suck anyway is being just plain lazy.

I think it should be noted....again....that the rebuilding process isn't going to happen in one year. The concensus seems to be we are shooting for 2010 to hopefully become seriously competitive in the AL east.

If they aren't traded, Payton and Millar are gone after this year. Gibbons, Huff, and Mora are gone after 2009.

We have some good players in the MiL who will hopefully develop during the next 2 years, and most certainly, we will also add key players via free agency and trades during this time frame.

By 2010, I'm sure we will see a vastly different, and much better, team on the field. I really don't understand the desire of many to rush the rebuilding process. IMO, it appears to be right on schedule.

I think it should be noted....again....that the rebuilding process isn't going to happen in one year. The concensus seems to be we are shooting for 2010 to hopefully become seriously competitive in the AL east.

If they aren't traded, Payton and Millar are gone after this year. Gibbons, Huff, and Mora are gone after 2009.

We have some good players in the MiL who will hopefully develop during the next 2 years, and most certainly, we will also add key players via free agency and trades during this time frame.

By 2010, I'm sure we will see a vastly different, and much better, team on the field. I really don't understand the desire of many to rush the rebuilding process. IMO, it appears to be right on schedule.

Not this again. :rolleyes:

No, thinking we were close when we weren't, as well as having a poor front office led us to 10 pathetic years. Having dead weight for 1 additional year, when said dead weight will be most 4th and 5th outfielders at best will have minimal impact on the future of the franchise.

Keeping a player (Roberts) instead of trading him for players who may turn out to contribute gives us better options. I know you don't want to, but I'd have no problem extending Roberts (convincing him is another matter).

I'm not saying I wouldn't rather have Moore on the roster and some of the dead weight gone. But I think the good deals AM made far outweigh the minor "housecleaning" he didn't do.

And I think a lot of people will take this view. But in reality minus Scott and Jones, we are fielding the same lineup as last season. Our backup catcher is better, but both Brandon Fahey and Luis Hernandez are on the roster as well as Kevin Millar, Jay Payton and Jay Gibbons. MacPhail gave us a good start to the rebuilding, but he failed to clear out the dreck that isn't giving guys like Moore and Costanzo, guys we acquired a shot to show what they have. In addition they brought back Steve Trachsel and guaranteed him a spot in the rotation before even evaluating guys like Penn, Olson and Liz. He's pitched poorly this spring, yet he's going to be our 3rd or 4th starter. Meanwhile guys like Claudio Vargas are floating out there.

We were hearing things about a huge roster turnover, but in reality that never happened. If I didn't know any better, I'd say we are tanking the season on purpose to get the #1 pick in the 2009 draft.

Turning this franchise around is like turning a big ship around. It takes a while.

Archived