The "other side" to how AM handled this offseason

Sports Guy

Then i would ask why was AM targeting these guys from the beginning??

I would also wonder if Gallagher was hurt.

And what would you say if Gallagher was throwing 95 and Cedeno had a 1000 OPS this spring?

Gallagher isn't hurt he throws between 91 to 94. You have to remember early in spring no pitcher has there complete arm strength. Believe me Hendry will have plenty of teams interested in the players he offered for Roberts. If anyone is interested the Cubs play on wgn today at 2pm central time and Lou is pitching nothing but minor leaguers.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why are you so sure that these guys were targeted by MacPhail? We heard "rumors" that Gallagher was, but also that the FO wasn't so hot on Cedeno. All the other names being thrown around here were mostly wishing, hoping and dreaming. I don't recall any quote from MacPhail, or any other official O's source. And wasn't it someone with the Cubs who originally mentioned the names of players being discussed?

Because they have always been in the trade...because we have been told they were and because they are still on the table.

If AM didn't want them, they wouldn't be on the table anymore.

Its common sense.

Because they have always been in the trade...because we have been told they were and because they are still on the table.

If AM didn't want them, they wouldn't be on the table anymore.

Its common sense.

Just because the players mentioned have been on the table doesn't mean they are the players MacPhail wants. If that were the case, I think the deal would have been done by now. A lot of names have been bantered about, but that doesn't mean they were ever offered as part of a potential deal. What "common sense" tells me is that all the players MacPhail has targeted have not yet been offered.

Just because the players mentioned have been on the table doesn't mean they are the players MacPhail wants. If that were the case, I think the deal would have been done by now. A lot of names have been bantered about, but that doesn't mean they were ever offered as part of a potential deal. What "common sense" tells me is that all the players MacPhail has targeted have not yet been offered.

So, you think these 2 guys, who have been on the table the entire time, aren't wanted by AM and yet they continue to be 2 guys in the deal?

If he didn't want them, they wouldn't be in the deal anymore.

Paul, my point is that people would be very happy with these moves....These are moves I am suggesting yet people are saying I am being impatient...Yet, if AM did those moves, I bet people would be happy.

Because you are suggesting he has failed because these have not happened yet.

It's been pretty well documented around here that Mora doesn't want to go far. Given that he's from Venezuela, it's more than highly doubtful that he would go to the west coast.

This is curious Hank.

What about being from Venezuela makes Baltimore more attractive than the West Coast?

SG, you're obviously well versed in baseball, and I respect your baseball knowledge. I think you're a smart contributor to OH. That being said, you have got to stop acting like a 3-year old. You bash and insult everyone that disagrees with you, you refuse to admit your mistakes, and you expect everything to be done instantly and to your satisfaction. Building a winning team, especially in the AL East, is going to take more than one off-season. Yes it'd be nice to get Hu or Lilbridge, but to get impact prospects, it takes time and good players. Give AM that time, and he'll get it done. I know you're probably going to insult me and then add me to your ignore list, but I hope that this post can make you a little more considerate and mature. If it does, OH will be a much better place, and we can read your insightful comments and honestly give you feedback without fearing insults and ignore-listing.

EDIT: No reply? Should have known

Look, unlike you, he's not gonna make trades just for sake of making trades. He's got OCD, not ADD. He's not gonna be rash and crazy, he's gonna be thorough and methodical.

He's so thorough that he has spent nearly four months primarily with only one team. I'll say it for the tenth or so time, there comes a time when one realizes they're fishing in a stagnant pond, and moves on elsewhere. IMO that time came months ago. The remarkable implication of all this is there was only one possible destination for an all-star second baseman. Either that shows a lack of imagination / creativity on behalf of the front office or that we Orioles fans are jaded about Roberts' true worth.
[*] Either I can trust a guy who grew up with GM-ness in his blood...who's grandfather basically invented the whole idea of a farm system...and who's father built the O's into the best franchise in baseball in a way that lasted for decades after he left...a guy who's already got 2 rings of his own... and who said that coming back here and fixing the Baltimore Orioles was his Dream Job.. and who has already done *more* in his first 9-months on the job than anybody I can think of...
Did you ever hear the expression about what have you done for me lately? I don't give two hoots about his baseball DNA tracing back to his granddaddy. Is there no statue of limitations in terms of how long one can rest on their laurels (in this case, sixteen years)? MacPhail has made some right moves but that doesn't mean he is infallible in very situation. Or should we ask MacPhail to walk across the Inner Harbor for us?

Originally Posted by Cubsfan

I don't always agree with Sports Guy, but this time I do. While none of us know for sure who was in the Cubs' offer, the O's probably should have made the deal. The reason to make the Cubs' deal and pay part of the contracts

to dump dead weight is simply addition by subtraction. As you stated, Payton would be gone and Millar could have been dealt. I can't believe that a deal couldn't be worked for Mora going to one of the West Coast teams. Huff should have some value. Even Gibbons might be tradable with the O's paying a big chunk of his contract. As it is now, the O's are still caught in that middle ground between rebuilding and fielding a decent team. Dump the dead weight and play the youngsters to see if they have a future. If nothing else, you load up on the prospects and use them as trade bait later on. Most experts are picking the O's to lose 95+ games, so how much worse can it be playing players like Moore, Cedeno, Murton (?), Patterson (?), Arias, etc.

Let's see....

- Make the Roberts trade even if no one knows the players involved. Check.

- Trade Mora to a West Coast team, and to hell with his no-trade clause. Check.

- Trade Gibbons and eat his salary, even though no one wants him. Check.

- Play Murton, Patterson, Arias even though the Cubs never offered us any of them. Check.

- Seeing a Cubs fan agreeing with SG. Definite check......:P

To answer your points:

1. I am assuming (just like everyone else since none of us know for sure) that the usual names would be the players involved. If there is a 4 for 1 offer of the usual names, yes the O's ought to make the trade. One point that cracks me up is that O's fans want at least one "sure thing" in the deal, but they don't want Murton who would start for the O's and has projected numbers for 2008 above the average corner OF in either league.

2. My suggestion on Mora is to discuss with him the possibility of waiving his NTC and if he agrees there certainly would be a market for him. There could be an incentive (add another year onto his contract?) to encourage him to waive his NTC.

3. Gibbons wouldn't be easy to trade, but the biggest problem is his contract. I can't believe somebody wouldn't take a chance on him if they only had to pay $3-$5 million per year.

4. First Arias was a SS prospect that was just waived by another team and probably could have been acquired for next to nothing. Going back to your original statement, nobody knows for sure who was offered by the Cubs, but Murton and Patterson were two names mentioned often. IF either or both were offered and acquired, they would be starting for the O's on opening day.

5. Your right on this one, I don't agree often with SG. On this point, we agree that the O's need to get on with the job of rebuilding and that includes trading Roberts for the assumed 4 players (or any combination of them) and moving on to getting rid of the dead weight.

Archived