The "other side" to how AM handled this offseason

Sports Guy

I'm with you SG on this one, I think the majority of people on this site are too caught up in the euphoria of the Bedard and Tejada returns to realize that MacPhail failed to clear out the dreck on the roster. Luke Scott and Jones will be threatened by Payton for playing time, Gibbons will take a deserved roster spot from Moore. Brandon Fahey will hit like a batboy and Luis Hernandez in addition to hitting worse than the batboy will be throwing souvenir balls into the 1st base stands.

It didn't have to be this way. Like I've said, I have no problem watching this team lose 100 games but I'd have to be watching the future of the Orioles not a worse version of the 2007 Orioles.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Cubs put Pie, Gallagher and Cedeno on the table, would all of you have made that trade?

What is funny is how many of you keep saying the rebuild didn't have to happen overnight yet you would trade any of these guys for the right offer in a heartbeat.

So basically, the rebuild doesn't have to happen overnight unless some team is willing to drastically overpay for our players and we have to give up nothing to get their guys.

No doubt. I think this may be the offer AM is waiting for.

Of course, he'll probably keep waiting, because I don't see Chicago making that trade.

The tigers took about 4, the Brewers, assuming they make the playoffs this year, took 4, the atheletics usually take 2-3.
The Brewers and A's don't have our resources and the Tigers didn't have a Bedard, BRob and Tejada to deal to speed up the process.
AM was put in a bad situation of the terrible contracts given out before he took the job. We can't blame him for not dealing these guys when he didn't sign them
He could have dealt some of them....I don't expect him to trade Gibbons and Huff, not yet anyway. But Payton, Millar and possibly Mora could have been dealt rather easily...We may have had to eat some salary but whatever.
ANd if we draft Beckham, will it have been so bad that we didn't trade for a shortstop?
Great...Our SS problems are solved! Obviously this high schooler will make it and be ready very soon!
What makes me the most mad is that we keep makinge excuses for DCab. He is a guy who could be traded for a good piece or two yet we don't capitalize on that. That is a guy who could be dealt with some value.
So, we should trade a guy whose value is low(in all likelihood), yet we should keep an aging, soon to be FA second baseman whose value is high?

If the Cubs put Pie, Gallagher and Cedeno on the table, would all of you have made that trade?

What is funny is how many of you keep saying the rebuild didn't have to happen overnight yet you would trade any of these guys for the right offer in a heartbeat.

So basically, the rebuild doesn't have to happen overnight unless some team is willing to drastically overpay for our players and we have to give up nothing to get their guys.

Well if a team is gonna over pay, then they over pay. You obviously make that deal if a top tier prospect is involved. Other than that, yea we can be patient, wait till the all star break whe na team REALLY over pays. Trades like ZAmbrano for KAzmir happen when teams get desperate. Im hoping for some of those at the break.

If you're stating that the rebuild started this past offseason, then what are you griping about when you say "it's taking a lot longer than it should have."

Do you mean that it's taken too long for us to get this process started, or something else?

BRob and Payton should be wearing Cubs unis.

Millar should be gone.

We should have added a new MI.

We should have done everything we could to get rid of Mora(maybe we did, not sure).

There is plenty of stuff that could have/should have been done and easily could have and it didn't get done in large part because AM drug his feet too long on BEdard and BRob.

Well if a team is gonna over pay, then they over pay. You obviously make that deal if a top tier prospect is involved. Other than that, yea we can be patient, wait till the all star break whe na team REALLY over pays. Trades like ZAmbrano for KAzmir happen when teams get desperate. Im hoping for some of those at the break.

Keep hoping.......

I'm with you SG on this one, I think the majority of people on this site are too caught up in the euphoria of the Bedard and Tejada returns to realize that MacPhail failed to clear out the dreck on the roster. Luke Scott and Jones will be threatened by Payton for playing time, Gibbons will take a deserved roster spot from Moore. Brandon Fahey will hit like a batboy and Luis Hernandez in addition to hitting worse than the batboy will be throwing souvenir balls into the 1st base stands.

It didn't have to be this way...

These guys have ridiulous contracts that MacPhail didn't sign them to. I can only imagine how hard it is to trade a declining steriod user who is due to make 11 million over the next two years. ANd besides, Millar and Payton are gone after this year, he doesn;t really need t trade them. Huff and Mora have terrible contracts, not much he can do abotu that.

JTrea has made a good point, we have the same team out there except 2 positions.

Trax sucks, let the kids pitch. Im so sick and tired of this veteran pitcher being needed, what a joke. I dont even consider him a vet, because that is how bad he sucks.

Trade some of the veterans, they are so worthless. You wont get anything for them, realize that Mcphail and move on, just find a way to get rid of them or just bench them.

We are freaking rebuildind, there is no reason to be a respectable team and try for 70 wins. We aquired young players to play them and see what they can do. Go win 25 games, i dont care, just play the kids.

What a pathetic franchise. I really hope we do some deals at the deadline. We are just like Texas who sent down Salty today, Why? I dont know, they are rebuilding and wont even start a guy who has had a lot of MLB at-bats.

BRob and Payton should be wearing Cubs unis.

Millar should be gone.

We should have added a new MI.

We should have done everything we could to get rid of Mora(maybe we did, not sure).

There is plenty of stuff that could have/should have been done and easily could have and it didn't get done in large part because AM drug his feet too long on BEdard and BRob.

I agree with this, except for the last part...I think (I HOPE) that MacPhail can multi-task deals...

I'm kinda glad the Cubs trade didn't go down unless we missed out on Ceda...but by and large I agree with this post.

Hey, if we hold out and trade Roberts and get better talent during the season, are you going to really complain?

I agree with this, except for the last part...I think (I HOPE) that MacPhail can multi-task deals...

I'm kinda glad the Cubs trade didn't go down unless we missed out on Ceda...but by and large I agree with this post.

Hey, if we hold out and trade Roberts and get better talent during the season, are you going to really complain?

If that happens, that would be great...But that doesn't mean it was a smart decision.

It wouild be a bad decision that turned out well..Sometimes that happens. I am hoping this will be one of those times.

I completely understand what SG and JTrea for that matter are saying, but after the way we've seen this team ran for the past 10 years I'm pretty optimistic that AM will get us on the right track.

The thing that hasn't been discussed here is what impact, if any that PA has had on the BRob deal. It may not have been a veto, but it could have been something like "If you don't get a damn good deal back for BRob than I don't want him traded". Who knows what role PA has played in this. All signs point toward none, especially given the Tejada and Bedard trades. But PA loves Roberts, ya just never know.

No one is perfect. I agree that some of the dead weight should have been moved, but eating a lot of salary would have had to have happened. But it's not like we've "blown it" or anything with any of the non-moves we didn't make. It's not like a Adrian Gonzalez was available. Given our lack of a chance of competing this year i'd say that it's 6 on one hand half dozen on the other. I'm just happy that we seem to have someone competent and confident running the ship, and someone who evidently appears to have full autonomy.

Most of us here expect he is trying to make the right moves. You don't?

He's not making them quick enough and he's not making enough in general. We should have made a decision on Roberts this offseason, either extending him or trade him. And there is a chance we could get less at the deadline if the trade rumors hang over Roberts and he has a lousy start to the season as a result. Now that he couldn't get a trade done, MacPhail just needs to come out and say Roberts won't be traded and try to get him extended, instead of keeping Roberts in limbo. It's not fair to Roberts who has done so much for this team.

Gibbons is a sunk cost and will not improve. They need to DL him citing the shoulder and be done with him. Give him the Albert Belle treatment. Payton should just be traded to get him off the team. He's not part of our future and will steal time away from Jones and Scott because Trembley won't want to listen to him whine. Hernandez and Fahey should not be on a ML team period. There are players that can be had quite cheaply and would put up better #'s but the Orioles are using the excuse that they are going to suck to justify keeping these two and not looking at any other options. That's just being lazy. We have a stockpile of pitching to deal and there are SS solutions out there that can be had.

Steve Trachsel also has no place on this team when there are guys like Vargas out there who for 2 million, could pitch better and probably eat more innings. Resigning Trachsel to a minor league deal for insurance was fine, but guaranteeing him a roster spot before evaluating Penn, Liz and Olson or seeing what pitchers were going to be cut or available for peanuts was just plain lazy and stupid.

Like I said it looks like we are trying our best to lose.

You say it, yet aren't willing to accept that point when it disagrees with your view.

Archived