So What Really is Happening with Dylan Bundy?

Rene88

Guy might spend more time in Dr. Andrews office than on our major league roster.

I saw Roch's blog entry about him going back to Andrews:

http://m.masn.mobi/school-of-roch/2015/08/notes-on-roster-move-urrutia-wieters-roe-pearce-and-more.html

What really are the possible outcomes of that meeting?

I was at a Bowie game last month and some guy behind me that seemed like professional scouts (or maybe were) said to me "I wouldn't expect to see him again". No clue what it meant b/c the line started moving after that.

Were these guys talking out their butts? Or is there a realistic chance this guy is done?

I don't understand the medical details well enough to evaluate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typically when you see a doctor and he prescribes a treatment plan (in this case, rest) you go see that doctor again to see how the treatment plan (rest) is going. Dr. Andrews doesn't operate on every single patient he sees and there is nothing suspicious about a follow up.

Typically when you see a doctor and he prescribes a treatment plan (in this case, rest) you go see that doctor again to see how the treatment plan (rest) is going. Dr. Andrews doesn't operate on every single patient he sees and there is nothing suspicious about a follow up.

This is exactly right. That is not to say that bad news could not follow if the treatment plan is not working. In and of itself though its not unusual for a pkayer to go back after a while and evaluate how things are going

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

As strange as the Bundy injury is, Harvey's injury is that much more strange. http://www.faketeams.com/2015/6/24/8834195/top-prospect-injury-updates-june-2015

"Bundy has not pitched since May 20th due to shoulder inflammation, and it's not clear when he will return to the mound. It's hard to believe that Bundy made his MLB debut three years ago already, but it's going to be interesting if he doesn't come back soon. Bundy is currently using his 3rd option year, but may be eligible for a fourth under the CBA. If he's not, it could force the Orioles to make a tough decision next year."

"Harvey was shut down for six weeks after seeing Dr. Andrews back in May, and it seems like he would be reassessed in early July. I'd be very surprised at this point though if rest was the answer, and still worry that he'll need TJ surgery before too long."

Harvey has already gone a full year without throwing a pitch. First the Oblique injury at the end of last year, now the possibility of him having TJ surgery and missing all of next year and not throwing a pitch until ST 2017. Hopefully the O's get that fourth option year for Bundy. If not he's essentially our rule V guy next year.

I just have no idea why these arms of these young pitchers just seem to routinely come apart. It again goes to the risk of drafting high school pitchers. Adam Loewen (although he did go to some community college), Matt Hobgood, Dylan, Hunter...It is a shame. Either it is just inherent risk and we are on a really unlucky streak, or, if I was a young pitcher I might stay away from signing with this organization.

Bundy may spend time on the O's DL next year with him working out at Sarasota. Than when he has done as much as he can there he goes on a month rehab before joining the O's pen. A re-injury starts that cycle over again.

He needs to get healthy enough to spend an off season and spring training building up his innings so he can be a starter again. JMO.

I thought the original article with the diagnosis was pretty clear and pretty encouraging. It said there is calcium buildup in the shoulder which was causing the lack of motion and pain. He just needs to rest until the calcium reabsorbs into his body, a process which itself can cause pain. It didn't seem like there would be any long term effects from this, or an actual injury at all.

I thought the original article with the diagnosis was pretty clear and pretty encouraging. It said there is calcium buildup in the shoulder which was causing the lack of motion and pain. He just needs to rest until the calcium reabsorbs into his body, a process which itself can cause pain. It didn't seem like there would be any long term effects from this, or an actual injury at all.

Sounds similar to the surgery that Steve Johnson had. It took a while after the surgery but he back pitching effectively.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/09/steve-johnson-to-undergo-surgery-to-remove-lesion-behind-shoulder.html

Very insightful. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just have no idea why these arms of these young pitchers just seem to routinely come apart. It again goes to the risk of drafting high school pitchers. Adam Loewen (although he did go to some community college), Matt Hobgood, Dylan, Hunter...It is a shame. Either it is just inherent risk and we are on a really unlucky streak, or, if I was a young pitcher I might stay away from signing with this organization.

Its both!

Strange things happen in small sample sizes.

The best pitchers this organization has 'developed' are Miguel Gonzales and Wei-Yen Chen. Both signed as obscure international free agents already with professional experience.

The most talented pitchers are the ones you listed and all of them have had serious injuries, none of which has produced at the MLB level.

How likely is either of theses scenarios let alone both at the same time? Strange things.

Its both!

Strange things happen in small sample sizes.

The best pitchers this organization has 'developed' are Miguel Gonzales and Wei-Yen Chen. Both signed as obscure international free agents already with professional experience.

The most talented pitchers are the ones you listed and all of them have had serious injuries, none of which has produced at the MLB level.

How likely is either of theses scenarios let alone both at the same time? Strange things.

In all fairness, Tillman pitched like 160 innings for the M's before he was traded to the Orioles, he is ours. Matusz has been a dcent RP, Britton has developed into a top-flight closer (last night's unluckiness not withstanding) Gausman is still young, but I really don't think anyone shudders when he goes out on the mound.

What is involved in arthroscopic surgery to remove calcium?

The surgery is done in the outpatient surgery department under a general anesthesia. There is no pain at all during the operation, and afterwards, a mild aching sensation is usually present for a few days until the skin puncture sites heal. If the calcium erodes a hole in the rotator cuff, then a decompression is necessary (removing a portion of the overhanging bone arthroscopically), and this will cause a little more discomfort for a few days.

So why hasn't Bundy just had this procedure again? I know people shouldn't just jump to go under the knife. Didn't Arrieta have something like this?

Here's an old thread from the OH concerning Arrieta and calcium deposits. http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/118609-Some-hopeful-comments-from-Arrieta

Finally a quote from Rick Peterson:

"What happens is you start to get off to the side of the baseball (with your grip) and then you're no longer consistently behind the baseball. Typically what we see is the more you throw that cutter, you can become dependent on it and you start to overuse it and typically what happens to guys that overuse the cutter is their fastball velocity drops. That has been consistent over the years."

"I'm not saying the cutter is not a good pitch, don't misunderstand me. A cutter used effectively is a nice addition to your arsenal. But a cutter thrown 40 percent of the time for a young power pitcher can become a crutch, then your velocity drops and you fail to develop your changeup and a breaking ball that has depth to it. The cutter overused is normally not displacing changeups and curveballs, it's displacing fastballs."

Archived