Duquette says signing Davis a priority.

33rdst

DD said all offseason the club had the resources to retain Cruz and Nick. Just Saturday DD cited the 4th year on Nelly as the obstacle; The 4th year on Nick was apparently the reluctance given his neck situation. Non-tendering Davis was never introduced to the formula, your making your own assumptions here. That's not to say it was not internally debated (as well as debated here), but that is a scenario which DD has not outlined. In fact, DD cited Davis and others as sources for replacing the output lost by Nick and Nelly. There were other more obvious ways to offset the additional payroll which have been discussed here a thousand times. The club chose to let Nelly and Nick go and allocate its resources in a different manner, the short term result has not worked in the club's favor, the long term result is still TBD.
You're saying the team could have gone with a payroll $25-30M higher but just chose not to? I'm not sure I'm a believer.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of the reasons to not sign Nick and Cruz was to save money for other guys. Sure seems like Davis should be one of those "other guys." In other words, we're going to pay someone so Davis seems like a very good choice. I'd sign him and Parra IF the latter finishes well and has reasonable demands.

Roll with Manny-Parra-Jones-Davis-Schoop-DHMix-COFMix-Joseph-Hardy [Clevenger, Flash, DHMix, COFMix]

Sign a good (non pick attached) starter to go with Jimenez, Tillman, Gausman, and Gonzo

Britton and mix for the pen (Buck and Dan know how to make good pens on the cheap)

Pray for Bundy and Harvey.

That still leaves 6 good picks: 1st, 1st (Chen), 1st (Wieters), 2nd, 2nd (unsigned), 2nd (comp)

Looks like a very good 2016+ Orioles team, should be roughly equal to this year's payroll, and the farm gets a big talent infusion

Part of the reasons to not sign Nick and Cruz was to save money for other guys. Sure seems like Davis should be one of those "other guys." In other words, we're going to pay someone so Davis seems like a very good choice. I'd sign him and Parra IF the latter finishes well and has reasonable demands.

Roll with Manny-Parra-Jones-Davis-Schoop-DHMix-COFMix-Joseph-Hardy [Clevenger, Flash, DHMix, COFMix]

Sign a good (non pick attached) starter to go with Jimenez, Tillman, Gausman, and Gonzo

Britton and mix for the pen (Buck and Dan know how to make good pens on the cheap)

Pray for Bundy and Harvey.

That still leaves 6 good picks: 1st, 1st (Chen), 1st (Wieters), 2nd, 2nd (unsigned), 2nd (comp)

Looks like a very good 2016+ Orioles team, should be roughly equal to this year's payroll, and the farm gets a big talent infusion

With that many of picks, you can afford to give one up IMO.

You're saying the team could have gone with a payroll $25-30M higher but just chose not to? I'm not sure I'm a believer.

I didn't suggest anything of that nature. DD stated last offseason that he had the ability to retain both Nelly and Cruz. He did. Clearly some parts would have been moved in the process, but DD never suggested non-tendering Davis was under consideration as per assumption.

I didn't suggest anything of that nature. DD stated last offseason that he had the ability to retain both Nelly and Cruz. He did. Clearly some parts would have been moved in the process, but DD never suggested non-tendering Davis was under consideration as per assumption.

Okay, so same thing, different names. If they'd signed Cruz and/or Markakis multiple other someones would have had to go. I know the popular choices were everyone who ended up not producing this year, but likely it would also have been some other more productive/popular players, too.

Okay, so same thing, different names. If they'd signed Cruz and/or Markakis multiple other someones would have had to go. I know the popular choices were everyone who ended up not producing this year, but likely it would also have been some other more productive/popular players, too.

We agree on this in general. In fairness, the non-producers were discussed in the offseason as guys to let loose...De Aza, Hunter, Matusz, Norris, etc. Norris was coming off a good season, but it's been pointed out that he out pitched his peripherals and was due for some regression. Why not move an expensive asset when you have a cheap in house replacement. Not everyone was enamored with the Snider acquisition. The front office never (not even Saturday) indicated that Davis would be a casualty if we had retained Nelly and Nick. That was your point in your post. In fact, DD cited Davis as a source to replace the lost production.

With that many of picks, you can afford to give one up IMO.

Sure but I'd look to the non-pick guys first. I'm sure we can't afford Cueto and Price but there will be other good starters that we might get w/o sacrificing the first rounder.

If Trout ever became avaialble I highly doubt the Orioles would provide a winning offer.

Lets look at Nelson Cruz this season 324/392/612 182 OPS+.

No one could have predicted that slash line, right? THat no matter what he does this year, Cruz wasn't worth it over the long run. THe Mariners are not winning with him. Orioles made a smart decision not to re-sign him.. I expect that calculus will be employed for Chris Davis.

Completely disagree. The Orioles have a roster that is in a position to win now. Their poor decision not to resign him was compounded by the fact that they didn't replace him and that they wasted so much money on players that were DFA. Just my opinion, but I also think that the budget is nonsense

Completely disagree. The Orioles have a roster that is in a position to win now. Their poor decision not to resign him was compounded by the fact that they didn't replace him and that they wasted so much money on players that were DFA. Just my opinion, but I also think that the budget is nonsense

Not to mention the O's won 96 games last year. The Mariners won 87.

I think the big issue with Davis walking this year is that the O's aren't coming remotely close to 96 wins. They might be lucky to win 87. If they go into next season with the same pauper attitude that they always do...don't expect them to have a winning season next year.

It's really hard to judge what kind of contract Chris Davis should get. Right now he looks like one of the best hitters in baseball but he can also go on a month long stretch where he looks like one of the worst hitters in baseball who is a rally killing black hole in the middle of the lineup. That said, I would much rather the Orioles overspend to keep Davis than Wieters b/c he has a lot more upside. As good as Wieters is on defense, his offense leaves a lot to be desired and I do not think that he is worth the money.

If they do sign Davis they need to figure out a way to get a couple of more disciplined hitters in the lineup and/or a leadoff hitter so that Manny can hit in the middle of the order. If they don't sign Davis then they better use that money to bring in other talent

Not to mention the O's won 96 games last year. The Mariners won 87.

I think the big issue with Davis walking this year is that the O's aren't coming remotely close to 96 wins. They might be lucky to win 87. If they go into next season with the same pauper attitude that they always do...don't expect them to have a winning season next year.

Unfortunately I agree

Only hitters (for major money) I would go after is Dexter Fowler or Denard Span. The Orioles desperately need a table-setter at the top of the lineup who can get on-base consistently. And I view the Orioles hitting problems differently than you do. I don't think the Orioles need to make any major position player signings. Their problem is not lack of star power or elite offensive players in the lineup. Their main problem is how many black holes they have in the everyday lineup (Hardy, both corner outfielder positions, DH when Paredes is in a slump which is fairly often). You can't really do anything about Hardy but if you fill the other three positions with capable offensive players, the offense will improve next year whether Davis is here or not. I would rather have the Orioles sign a frontline starting pitcher. The FA market is flooded with good pitchers (Anderson, Cueto, Colon, Fister, Gallardo, Price, Latos, Iwakuma, Zimmerman). Signing one or two of those guys would make a bigger difference than signing someone like say Jason Heyward to a massive contract.

100% agree!!!

The O's made some good choices and some bad choices - which have been discussed ad nauseum, but you bring up a point that gets lost too often'tn. Playing the pauper/martyr/cheap bleeper role is going to hurt the team if it continues to use it. If top players see you're being too cheap to keep a winner, they won't stay/come here. If you don't win, people won't come to watch or build your tv ratings. Losing is bad for business, and if you don't take some chances on top talent, you will lose.

What his best comparison? Ryan Howard??? Like Davis, Howard was the biggest, and scariest power hitter in the league in his late 20s.

He sure did decline in his 30s though.

Howard's extension didn't kick in until he was 33. Prior to it taking effect his offense had already slid, and he was never a good fielder. So the Phils signed a poor defensive first baseman, subject to shifts, and in a world with an expanding strike zone, to a deal that expected maybe 4 wins a year for his age 33-37 seasons. And it predictably imploded. Davis will be 30, he's a competent fielder, and he's proven some level of effectiveness despite shifts and the big zone. He's a better risk than Howard. But it's still a risk.

Archived