Duquette says signing Davis a priority.

33rdst

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He did not say Davis was a priority (as the headline states on orioles.com).

He said: "I can tell you this: We do want to sign some of our key players for the future and Chris Davis is one of them."

He also said: "We are going to sign some of them, and some of them, we are not going to sign."

He would be unwise to say Davis was a priority.

He made the statement as part of his answer during the season ticket holder session. Good news. Also said we will sign some of our other free agents. Probably important to mention now that he said signing Davis is a priority. He did not say he would sign him at all cost. Some people will see those statements as one and the same.

Signing Wei Yin Chen and DOD, our most consistent starter and non- closer reliever, should also be a priority. Consistent SP and BP is what brings consistent winning to all big league clubs. Get it done Angelos and Duquette.

I just want to see them find a way within their budget to field a contending team. If that means signing Davis, fine. If it means signing some different players, fine. Just spend intelligently.

So tired of hearing "within the budget!". We all know PA has the money to spend.

I never thought I'd say it, but he may be worth 6/150. He is torrid right now.

Speaking as someone who advocated a 6/120 contract before the 2014 season (i.e., the winter before he hit .196), take it from me that you should never talk about a prospective CD contract when he's "torrid."

And you know this how?

He has Scott Boras as an agent so it is a fair assumption that his first priority is maximizing his earning potential because that is what Boras is about. 5-6 years with the conversation beginning at 20 million AAV is the starting point for negotiations likely.

My read is this. I think the Orioles have to make getting Manny resigned priority #1 and I have a hard time believing they will give out two 100+million dollar deals with 20 million dollar AAV plus out in the same offseason.

If they lose CD but get Manny inked, I will be sorry to see CD go but will consider it a win for the team longterm.

He made the statement as part of his answer during the season ticket holder session. Good news. Also said we will sign some of our other free agents. Probably important to mention now that he said signing Davis is a priority. He did not say he would sign him at all cost. Some people will see those statements as one and the same.
I was supposed to go to the ticket holder session. But I forgot about it. :bangwall: Oh well, senior moment, I guess. But I did not forget the game itself. It was a wild affair and in the end was wonderful. :)

So I came home and read this news. After Crush got the walk-off HR, I was pleased to see this. Hope Crush will sign for reasonable, within-the-market price. And I'm glad that DD will consider signing some of the other FAs. Now I don't have to rant any longer about how DD won't sign any FAs at all. So ignore all of those rants. :P

One thing that I believe is important to consider is that Chris Davis is a left handed power bat. The Orioles came into this season with a good number of left handed options -- and now Travis Snider is gone, and David Lough is gone, and Chris Parmalee is back in AAA, not to mention Jimmy Paredes (much better LH) is struggling. Also Parra is LH and a free agent. And so is Wieters, though better from the right side.

I said at the beginning of the season that Davis was the biggest key, and right now, he's the offense along with an occasional HR from Jones and Machado.

Dan Duquette: "I can tell you this.....'WE' do want to sign some of our key players for the future and Chris Davis is one of them."

Maybe we should be asking who the "we" that DD is referencing. He might be running the show in Toronto next year and I have no doubt that the Jays wouldn't hesitate a second to replace Smoak with Davis.

Archived