Duquette says signing Davis a priority.

33rdst

I still think the O's should fire off a 5/90 deal at Davis right now. He could rightfully tell them to stick their offer in a hat, based on how hot he has been, but he would essentially be gambling on himself. He could remain hot, or he could just as easily slump for a month and find himself looking at a whole lot less money on the open market.

Worth a try on the O's part I think.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He did say at the start of the season that he wanted to see the O's show they were committed to winning before he would consider extending with them.

Did he really? He came right out and said that? And I'm assuming by "commitment to winning" he meant big money for many years for established players entering their decline phases?

Did he really? He came right out and said that? And I'm assuming by "commitment to winning" he meant big money for many years for established players entering their decline phases?

I think he said something along those lines in the context of being asked about the departure of Nick and Nelly.

"I think that the things they have done the past few years have worked in their favor,'' Davis said. "You obviously got Nelson Cruz at a pretty good price because of what happened the year before, but to compete in this division you're not going to be able to do that year in and year out. You see it every year. The Red Sox, the Yankees, even the Blue Jays are spending money to get guys. That's what it's going to take.

"You might run into a couple of years where you have the right mix of guys, and I do believe in what we're doing here. I do believe the coaching staff, the front office has a good plan, but I still think at the same time to be competitive year in and year out, you're going to have to add some guys who have been through the fire and have established themselves as perrenial All-Stars. That's what it takes to compete every year."

"I think that the things they have done the past few years have worked in their favor,'' Davis said. "You obviously got Nelson Cruz at a pretty good price because of what happened the year before, but to compete in this division you're not going to be able to do that year in and year out. You see it every year. The Red Sox, the Yankees, even the Blue Jays are spending money to get guys. That's what it's going to take.

"You might run into a couple of years where you have the right mix of guys, and I do believe in what we're doing here. I do believe the coaching staff, the front office has a good plan, but I still think at the same time to be competitive year in and year out, you're going to have to add some guys who have been through the fire and have established themselves as perrenial All-Stars. That's what it takes to compete every year."

Huh, that must have been the part of the winter when I was off doing other things because the Hangout was mostly a firestorm of insanity. That, combined with Boras, makes me think more strongly that Davis will be elsewhere next year. Not sure how they're going to sign multiple "perennial All Stars" if they're also budgeting for a 6/140 deal for one-time All Star Chris Davis.

Huh, that must have been the part of the winter when I was off doing other things because the Hangout was mostly a firestorm of insanity. That, combined with Boras, makes me think more strongly that Davis will be elsewhere next year. Not sure how they're going to sign multiple "perennial All Stars" if they're also budgeting for a 6/140 deal for one-time All Star Chris Davis.

The easiest way would be to extend Manny (which I don't think they will be able to do).

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. It's not that unusual to get 3-4 wins out of a reclamation project. Not a free agent, but the O's got 14 wins out of Chris Davis, who was part of a deal for a few months of Koji. They got as much production (over a longer period) out of Nate McLouth as they did out of Cruz. They have received 562 innings of a 3.60 ERA out of minor league free agent Miguel Gonzalez. 3.7 wins for $8M isn't a once-in-a-lifetime thing.
Premier free agents rarely return any excess value. Unless you are talking about A-Rod milestone having some type of a economic impact on the franchise.

Archived