Baseball Essential: Jonathan Scoop Could Redefine the Second Base Position.

weams

I think Schoop is a high quality defender, maybe not quite gold glove level, but certainly plus. His range may only be average, I thought it was better last year, but I expect it to improve a little as he puts the injury further in the rear view. Schoop's reliable glove, rocket arm, and ability to turn the DP make him a valuable asset on defense at 2B. He is hitting better than I thought he would, and sooner than I thought, too. The power was never in question.

Who has the better arm, Machado or Schoop? I asked this question before in the hopes that someone who knows more than I do would give me their opinion, and I got no answer. Would anyone care to take a crack now?

They both have rocket arms, but I'd be willing to bet that Manny has the stronger arm. Second is much different than third. I would like to know what non pitcher has the strongest arm. Manny, schoop, jones, Davis, parra, wieters, those would be my contestants.

For the sake of argument, let's say the two weighed the same when both played SS. Are you going to say that Cal being all of 1" taller doesn't change his main argument that Cal broke the mold for shortstops?

Cano is 1" shorter than Schoop and 15 lbs lighter, but that's not a big difference between the two. Chase Utley is not exactly a small guy either and the oldest of the three.

Utley 6' 1" 190

Cano 6' 210

Schoop 6' 1" 225

For the sake of argument I would point out that Bradybunch said "ARod was a better and bigger SS then Cal" and all I was doing was disputing that Arod was bigger then Cal.

Do you think Schoop has a different defensive mindset and approach then his predecessors?

I think he does.

I am not saying he is necessarily more effective, he certainly isn't the greatest defensive second baseman I have ever seen, but he is different.

There is a physicality in his play that I haven't seen at second before.

I also think Schoop is taller then 6'1". At least he looked taller the one time I saw him in person.

They both have rocket arms, but I'd be willing to bet that Manny has the stronger arm. Second is much different than third. I would like to know what non pitcher has the strongest arm. Manny, schoop, jones, Davis, parra, wieters, those would be my contestants.

Statcast should be able to answer this.

Statcast should be able to answer this.

Not necessarily. We don't know if they are throwing their hardest, plus, how often do we get Davis at full blast? I guess it would be our best chance at finding out though. Who would you say if you had to? I'd say prime wieters would be tops,but at this point I'd think Manny....maybe jones. Gun to my head I'd say Manny.

Archived