Has This Team Turned The Corner?

MagicBird

Well, to be honest like most Ive been waiting to react in a positive manner but this series so far feels different. I know the SP cant be trusted, but they showed some signs that might make one think they could be on the right track. And the hitting came thru when it had too. This team is due for a run of guys finally playing like they are capable of playing.

Both MiGo and Chen started very rough. But finished very strong. Good sign.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. They're playing a non-contending team at home. They've destroyed lesser teams at home all year long. I won't start buying into them until they start winning series against contending teams on the road.

I wouldn't have phrased it quite so pessimistically, but I basically agree with this. Part of contending is winning at home and beating bad teams. But a contender has to be respectable on the road and against contenders, too. We've played a little better on the road since the all star break, but we're still 8-10 on the road in that stretch, including that sweep by the Yankees in NYC. We can't have any more of that, and we need to start beating some good teams, which is mostly what we play from here on out.

It's a cliche, but we can only beat whats in front of us.

The series so far against the A's, we have shown resilience (coming off the back of a no-hitter), perseverance (the two walk-offs) and the ability to use offence to put a team to the sword (today). That situation may change in the next game, but thats the next game.

What it does do, is show us that some of the attributes that will be critical to any bid for the post-season, are present and correct.

The most likely scenario is we will end up in the last few games of the season being just outside the wildcard spots but with them within reach and with us playing post-season rivals at home with all at stake. I don't think that would be a terrible situation for us

When are we going to learn? A few bad games doesn't mean the season is over but a few good games doesn't mean they're ready to go a run. It's completely unpredictable.

Like OFFNY is always saying. Our season is Gray vs. Tillman tomorrow night. One game at a time.

It's a cliche, but we can only beat whats in front of us.

The series so far against the A's, we have shown resilience (coming off the back of a no-hitter), perseverance (the two walk-offs) and the ability to use offence to put a team to the sword (today). That situation may change in the next game, but thats the next game.

What it does do, is show us that some of the attributes that will be critical to any bid for the post-season, are present and correct.

The most likely scenario is we will end up in the last few games of the season being just outside the wildcard spots but with them within reach and with us playing post-season rivals at home with all at stake. I don't think that would be a terrible situation for us

Brit has a way with words! :gallden:

No, 26 home games , 20 road games. I like our chances with more home games.

You're wrong, just look at the remaining schedule. You are probably looking at a source that shows the games already played and counted the three games that got moved to Tampa as road games.

Nope it just means that we're in the middle of a little winning streak that will shortly be canceled out by a losing streak. That's what this team has done all season.

This is how I feel. Was it early July when they went on a nice little run that was shortly wiped out after they forgot how to hit for most of the month?

Not that it means much, but Aaron Boone was giving the Orioles some love on Baseball Tonight. They are the team under the radar that nobody is paying attention too. He also thinks 3 AL East teams make the post season.

We shall see.

This is how I feel.

Was it early July when they went on a nice little run that was shortly wiped out after they forgot how to hit for most of the month?

Yes.

They went 18-5 over a 23-game stretch to briefly put themselves in 1st place, at 41-34 overall.

They followed that up by going 3-10 over their final 13 games before the All-Star break, which put them at 44-44.

Archived