Has This Team Turned The Corner?

MagicBird

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want to know what that gizmo registered during Delmon's winning hit last October.

Really! Even on the youtube video, the Stadium is like... like when a guitar feeds back, that infinite loop, like the resonant frequency of the stadium itself amplifies the level.

Gotta agree. The Birds have pulled me in one too many times this year with a strong stretch at home, only to completely unravel as soon as they leave OPACY. Even if they take 2 of 3 from the Mets and finish around 8-2 on this homestand, I still need them to show up in KC and TEX next week. A 2-5 or 1-6 trip doesn't seem that unlikely - hopefully they prove me wrong!

It's only two with the Mets but you're right, we need to win on the road. We've been terrible. And like said above it's all the starters. They click, we click.

Remaining schedule:

1 against Oakland - HOME

2 against Mets - HOME

4 against Twins - HOME

4 against Royals - AWAY

3 against Rangers - AWAY

3 against Rays - HOME

3 against Jays - AWAY

3 against Yankees - AWAY

3 against Royals - HOME

3 against Red Sox - HOME

4 against Rays - AWAY

3 against Nationals - AWAY

3 against Red Sox - AWAY

4 against Jays - HOME

3 against Yankees - HOME

That is a tough schedule. We really don't face any more scrubs. Pretty much .500 or so teams or legit contenders (Yankees, Jays, Royals).

23 home, 23 away.

I really do like our chances against the Twins and Rays. I don't like our chances this year against the Jays. Tillman, Chen are disasters waiting to happen against. The Yankees I feel we'll split. The Red Sox we should be able to win more than we lose. The Rangers I'm so-so about on the road. The Royals I think we're toast.

I'm really so-so on the O's. I don't think they're much better than a .500 team. And this remaining schedule will probably not change that.

The Orioles are a very similar team to the Angels. The Orioles have three great hitters (Davis, Jones, Machado), a couple of other decent hitters (Schoop, Joseph) and a bunch of dreck after that.

Parra (.323 AVE, .365 OBP, .513 SLG, .878 OPS) is dreck? :) Since coming to the O's, in 68 PAs, he's gone .295/.348/.492/.840 line. And at this point I think Schoop is beyond being a "decent" hitter, though he might not keep up his .874 OPS pace. Machado, Parra, Jones, Davis, and Schoop give us a great 1-5 start to the lineup. Add in Joseph/Wieters and perhaps Parades, and we're pretty good offensively. If only Hardy wasn't hitting like Belanger.

Parra (.323 AVE, .365 OBP, .513 SLG, .878 OPS) is dreck? :) Since coming to the O's, in 68 PAs, he's gone .295/.348/.492/.840 line. And at this point I think Schoop is beyond being a "decent" hitter, though he might not keep up his .874 OPS pace. Machado, Parra, Jones, Davis, and Schoop give us a great 1-5 start to the lineup. Add in Joseph/Wieters and perhaps Parades, and we're pretty good offensively. If only Hardy wasn't hitting like Belanger.

We can carry Belanger. It's the starters who need to step up.

Those 3 and 4 spots we have overcome would have been 6-8 spots vs TOR or NYY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't really think so. Lots of soft hit balls have found holes for the A's. If anything I would say the Orioles pitching has performed better than their ERA indicates this series. They've actually been really good lately as a whole, looking through the splits on fangraphs, and that's with a very high BABIP and HR/FB% against. The SP can definitely be better but I believe the Orioles bullpen has accounted for the 2nd most WAR in the MLB.

Don't really think so. Lots of soft hit balls have found holes for the A's. If anything I would say the Orioles pitching has performed better than their ERA indicates this series. They've actually been really good lately as a whole, looking through the splits on fangraphs, and that's with a very high BABIP and HR/FB% against. The SP can definitely be better but I believe the Orioles bullpen has accounted for the 2nd most WAR in the MLB.

The starters also are striking out more guys, walking less and throwing more ground balls than they did last season. Their BABIP just went up about 10 points and their HR/FB% went up about 3%. Interestingly enough, the starters and relievers both have the exact same SIERA the last 2 seasons. The starters have had a 4.15 SIERA each of the last 2 seasons and the relieves have had a 3.22 SIERA each of the last 2 seasons. They're a lot more similar than they appear right now. Last year they just got a lot more lucky in terms of BABIP and HR/FB%. Those things can easily go down over the next month plus and if they do the pitching will once again be seen as a strength.

Archived