Are Analytics Driven Front Offices Done?

weams

Just about the time that Andy MacPhail wants to build one? Does there seem to be a shift toward traditional scouting and video scouting and not just data driven acquisition?

Is it a new trend or is it just a natural gravitation to a more hands on approach given the gravity of the dollars. Is the bubble upon us?

No.

There is more and more data collected every year.

All knowledge is power.

What you might be seeing is a better integration between analytics and tradition scouting.

The Astros seem to be doing OK with their analytics driven front office.

I mean the teams with the money pulling back from their all in analytics drive and venturing into a more result accountable model.

Yankees. Red Sox. Angels. Braves.

I mean the teams with the money pulling back from their all in analytics drive and venturing into a more result accountable model.

Yankees. Red Sox. Angels. Braves.

Have we had an all analytics front office since KLaw worked for the Blue Jays?

I don't think we have.

That experiment was a colossal failure.

Have we had an all analytics front office since KLaw worked for the Blue Jays?

I don't think we have.

That experiment was a colossal failure.

There seem to be corporate ownerships that are uncomfortable allowing these vast sums of money to be handled based of Big Data in an intrinsically Small Sample Size of a baseball career.

Just about the time that Andy MacPhail wants to build one? Does there seem to be a shift toward traditional scouting and video scouting and not just data driven acquisition?

Is it a new trend or is it just a natural gravitation to a more hands on approach given the gravity of the dollars. Is the bubble upon us?

"Analytics Driven Front Offices" have already been incorporating video scouting for a number of years. At least, the handful I know reasonably well have.

Are any of the 30 team currently managing to the metric rather than the traditional views of performance. Especially since most of us agree that the ultatressires of te success are quite random.

Done? It's the new normal. Having a well-functioning data and analytics department is the baseline, it's a basic requirement of being a major league front office.

Are any of the 30 team currently managing to the metric rather than the traditional views of performance. Especially since most of us agree that the ultatressires of te success are quite random.

All of them? Except that you seem to be presenting a false split. It's not "traditional views of performance" vs. "analytic view of performance". It's "how can we best integrate all of our information sources"? Abandoning analytics now would be like sending our next probe to Jupiter using sliderules and paper drafting.

Archived