Upcoming Unencumbered Free Agent

weams

Think your a good bit off on the money sode of things. Cespedes will get a deal that approaches 20 million AAV over 5 to 6 years likely. Something like 5/90 would be the low end I think

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I don't think he gets that. But you may be right. He's not worth it. That's why I think that. The analytic based Front Offices will shy away from him.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pablo Sandoval got 5/95 last year coming off his age 28 season and Hanley Ramirez got 4/88 coming off his age 30 season. Granted both guys were signed by the Red Sox, but I think that's your baseline.

Of course, the guy who signed them just got replaced.

I don't think he gets that. But you may be right. He's not worth it. That's why I think that. The analytic based Front Offices will shy away from him.

Since when has anyone gotten wjat they are worth on the FA market? Guys with his and CD's power potential are hard to find and always cost a premium now in the post steroid era.

I dont disagree he is not worth that, I just think your forgetting just how willing GM's are to spend money. If we could get him for 5/67 I would take that any day. Free agency though is the least efficient way to add talent. You are always going to overpay for quality talent.

Since when has anyone gotten wjat they are worth on the FA market? Guys with his and CD's power potential are hard to find and always cost a premium now in the post steroid era.

I dont disagree he is not worth that, I just think your forgetting just how willing GM's are to spend money. If we could get him for 5/67 I would take that any day. Free agency though is the least efficient way to add talent. You are always going to overpay for quality talent.

Cespedes does not have Chris Davis power. Metrics like Chris too. They hate Cespedes.

Jack is getting fired. Preller is a very hot spot, Cherrington was replaced, Dipoto was replaced. Rizzo may go...

I do agree. The Biggest Teams can always spend what they need. The market requires pretenders as well.

I thought I read that Cespedes is not a team player and does not like to practice. Doesn't sound like a Buck guy. Do I have that wrong?

Another reason his price may be lower. Cruz was not universally respected when we got him either.

So, what about Drew Stubbs - who was designated for assignment? He's like a poor man's Chris Davis in that When he's on, he looks fabulous, but when he's off, you want to... designate him for assignment elsewhere. I love his combo of power and speed, and Baltimore's the right yard for him, but is he the right cheap acquisition for Baltimore?

So, what about Drew Stubbs - who was designated for assignment? He's like a poor man's Chris Davis in that When he's on, he looks fabulous, but when he's off, you want to... designate him for assignment elsewhere. I love his combo of power and speed, and Baltimore's the right yard for him, but is he the right cheap acquisition for Baltimore?

I think you are confusing the Colorado effect with goodness.

Drew is not really anything like Chris Davis. Anything.

Didn't Buck have some familiarity with him, from his coaching stint in Texas?

http://swingcompleto.blogspot.com/2015/08/henry-urrutia-yoenis-cespedes-ha-sido.html

"Yoenis and I were friends for almost 20 years. I never thought I'd be right now in the big leagues and my first home run off with your team. I am very happy, especially because he told me before the game 'Luck, he puts his hand. I know you can. Do your job, "said the Cuban.

"He's on another team but still gives me that confidence and that support as we exchanged during the National Series in Cuba or in Japan in 2010 when we played in the World University," continued Urrutia. "There will always be special reunited with a person like him, but what makes it special to be a time like this, because it is the result of a dream come true for him and for me."

I agree that Cespedes would look good in LF for the Orioles, BUT........

I'm curious why he has been such a tradable commodity - 3 teams in the last two years. The Tigers traded one of their top pitchers, Rick Porcello, for him, then dumped him to the Mets for a couple Single A pitchers. It just seems there's possibly some underlying reason why he is traded. Is he a head case of some kind; have a bad attitude; not a team player?

If you look at each trade individually, they can all be explained without any underlying attitude issues.

A's to Red Sox: Billy Beane figured he had enough offense to compete, even without Cespedes, but not enough pitching. He also knew Cespedes was a year and a half away from free agency and figured he'd cash him in for an ace (Jon Lester) who could help the A's win it all in 2014. Obviously that didn't work out.

Red Sox to Tigers: The Red Sox were overloaded with outfielders entering 2014, and light on pitching. They swapped Cespedes for a potential breakout pitcher in Porcello. (Obviously that also didn't work out, at least so far.)

Tigers to Mets: The Tigers knew they weren't in contention for 2015, and since Cespedes is a pending free agent, they traded him for prospects, as they did with several of their other veterans (Price, Soria).

Tigers to Mets: The Tigers knew they weren't in contention for 2015, and since Cespedes is a pending free agent, they traded him for prospects, as they did with several of their other veterans (Price, Soria).

Also, since Cepedes must be released at the end of the World Series, clubs were trying to get some value back for him. Maximizing a return. I've not heard about Cubans who are not accused of very similar issues through the league either.

If dollars are similar: Upton>Heyward>Davis>Cespedes. I think dollars will be similar too. All of these guys are going to get 18-22 million a year and at least five years. Upton and Heyward could be looking at 7 or 8 year deals.

Cespedes is literally the last guy I would want to spend big money on. He's a hacker and will be on the wrong side of 30. This team doesn't need another one of those. Upton and Heyward are younger and better overall offensive players that know how to take a walk.

Archived