Have the O's upgraded enough to win a Wild Card Spot?

wildcard

It's a coin toss. It'll really come down to one or two games. If we win a couple games we were probably going to lose, by way of something like a smattering of opposition errors in the same inning, and then avoid losing any games we were poised to win, we should be able to steal a wild card slot.

It also depends crucially on our ability to defeat other teams that are in the wild card race, head-to-head.

This is a well thought out post.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going to let Weems slide on the Nelly/Urritia stuff as he seems to have started cocktail hour a tad early today. :thumbsup1: As to the Wild Card, it's up to the guys Buck has at his disposal going out and picking up W's, but it can be done.

I was simply stating that "Everything Changes Everything." There. Is that better?

We are certainly good enough to win that a wild card spot. Hell at five games out the division is not completely out of the question, neither Toronto or NYY are juggernauts incapable of going on a bad streak at this point. Anything can happen.

This team just has to start to play with some sense of consistency on both offensively and in terms of SP. We are going to get our cracks at Toronto and the MFY, we also have to continue to beat teams that we should, starting with the Twins tonight. If we can do that then we pretty good shot at getting into the postseason dance.

We are certainly good enough to win that a wild card spot. Hell at five games out the division is not completely out of the question, neither Toronto or NYY are juggernauts incapable of going on a bad streak at this point. Anything can happen.

This team just has to start to play with some sense of consistency on both offensively and in terms of SP. We are going to get our cracks at Toronto and the MFY, we also have to continue to beat teams that we should, starting with the Twins tonight. If we can do that then we pretty good shot at getting into the postseason dance.

Please look up our record against winning teams.

And yes, the Blue Jays are much better than we are sad to say.

The Rangers and Angels have a much easier schedule than we do with games remaining.

In order for us to get in, we can't lose 15-2 to the Twins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rangers and Angels have a much easier schedule than we do with games remaining.

Why does the score matter? A loss is a loss, and we are still going to lose some games. If we lose the first game 15-2 and win the next three 4-3, it's a great series. Not saying that's going to happen, but one 15-2 loss to the Twins doesn't mean anything special.

Rangers just lost Josh Hamilton for a few weeks. He will not be in the lineup against the Orioles next week. Angels are nothing great. The Orioles have a decent chance for the second wild card. Not because they are anything special but neither are the other teams in the fight. Pitching and road record will have to get better. Next week is a big test.

Why does the score matter? A loss is a loss, and we are still going to lose some games. If we lose the first game 15-2 and win the next three 4-3, it's a great series. Not saying that's going to happen, but one 15-2 loss to the Twins doesn't mean anything special.

It only matters if it is indicative that Gonzalez is going to remain ineffective down the stretch. He had nothing last night.

Rangers just lost Josh Hamilton for a few weeks. He will not be in the lineup against the Orioles next week. Angels are nothing great. The Orioles have a decent chance for the second wild card. Not because they are anything special but neither are the other teams in the fight. Pitching and road record will have to get better. Next week is a big test.

You are one of the smartest baseball men on here. I agree with your assessment. I didn't hear about Josh this morning, thanks.

I keep hearing "once you get in, anything can happen". That may be the case for 1 game or even a 3 game series, but not a 5 game or 7 game (that's the point).

Archived