Hunter Harvey back on the mound

xian4

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hunter Harvey threw a 25-pitch bullpen session today <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">August 20, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well. We shall know soon.

Just so I got this right, he's missed the whole season due to a "sore elbow", but he's already been checked out by Andrews and no ligament damage?

I haven't heard of a sore elbow keeping a guy out a full year when surgery didn't end up being required.

Just so I got this right, he's missed the whole season due to a "sore elbow", but he's already been checked out by Andrews and no ligament damage?

I haven't heard of a sore elbow keeping a guy out a full year when surgery didn't end up being required.

No, he broke his leg first and then got shut down later ...

• 5 weeks later...

And back to the good Doctor.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hunter Harvey shut down again w elbow issue. Will see Dr Andrews again.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">September 19, 2015</a></blockquote>

I know they say surgery is a last resort but it has got to be getting close to that point.

• 3 weeks later...

And back to rest.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dr Andrews recommended 4-6 weeks rest for Hunter Harvey and resume throwing</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">October 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

And back to rest.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dr Andrews recommended 4-6 weeks rest for Hunter Harvey and resume throwing</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">October 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

There is nothing to cut. It is a biometric issue obviously.

What is obvious is that we can't count on getting anything out of Hunter Harvey. Maybe we will, but we can't make any plans based on that assumption.

It's certainly not looking good at this point. The fact that both Bundy and Harvey have really struggled to stay healthy means one of two things. Either the Orioles remain very unlucky when drafting high school pitchers, or their scouts are continually drafting high risk pitchers.

When your recent past includes the following 1st round high school arms:

Harvey

Bundy

Hobgood

And in the last 20 years:

Loewen

Stahl

Cenete

Rice

you start to realize the Orioles are not very good and drafting and developing high risk/reward pitchers.

Then again, considering Zach Britton is the only HS pitcher (that I can recall since I didn't do a real detailed search) the Orioles have drafted and developed into an All-Star (closer not starter) since Jim Palmer and you can guess why I shutter every time I hear a high school arm get drafted early by the Orioles.

The hiring of Peterson was supposed to help solve this but both Harvey and Bundy have come up lame (As well as many others).

The only HS arm we've drafted and developed of late who has stayed healthy and had no red flags in his delivery, we traded for a two month rental on a mediocre ballclub. Ashamed Zach Davies won't get the chance to break the streak with the Orioles.

Archived