Hunter Harvey back on the mound

xian4

It's certainly not looking good at this point. The fact that both Bundy and Harvey have really struggled to stay healthy means one of two things. Either the Orioles remain very unlucky when drafting high school pitchers, or their scouts are continually drafting high risk pitchers.

When your recent past includes the following 1st round high school arms:

Harvey

Bundy

Hobgood

And in the last 20 years:

Loewen

Stahl

Cenete

Rice

you start to realize the Orioles are not very good and drafting and developing high risk/reward pitchers.

Then again, considering Zach Britton is the only HS pitcher (that I can recall since I didn't do a real detailed search) the Orioles have drafted and developed into an All-Star (closer not starter) since Jim Palmer and you can guess why I shutter every time I hear a high school arm get drafted early by the Orioles.

The hiring of Peterson was supposed to help solve this but both Harvey and Bundy have come up lame (As well as many others).

The only HS arm we've drafted and developed of late who has stayed healthy and had no red flags in his delivery, we traded for a two month rental on a mediocre ballclub. Ashamed Zach Davies won't get the chance to break the streak with the Orioles.

From what I remember Harvey had a very reasonable workload as an amateur. His father wasn't about to let him get abused. I also recall hearing good things about his mechanics out of high school.

Bundy on the other hand had some red flags.

From what I remember Harvey had a very reasonable workload as an amateur. His father wasn't about to let him get abused. I also recall hearing good things about his mechanics out of high school.

Bundy on the other hand had some red flags.

Harvey had questions about his frame if I recall, not to the same extent as Davies however. But he is VERY thin.

I don't think body frame is a reliable method for judging a pitcher's potential for staying healthy. Bundy is built like a tank and always hurt, while Davies has the body of a 14 year old and I don't recall any injuries at all for him. Look at Mark Prior and Kerry Wood; two huge guys with HOF stuff whose careers were completely derailed by constant injuries. Look at comparatively small guys like Maddux, Glavine, Pedro, Mussina, who were all mostly healthy for their careers. I think every human being's arm is built differently and has a different capacity for the stressful motion of pitching. With some pitchers there are red flags with their delivery, while others can break down with perfect mechanics.

I think the only way to protect an organization against the inevitable attrition through injured pitchers is to effectively draft, develop, and protect young pitching prospects. Trading away many of your pitching prospects for veterans who don't move the needle, while not having the budget to sign high-dollar free agent pitchers, is a path to failure.

Davies was signed for3rd type money. Britton drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. Pitching has a high attrition rate. HS pitching seems the most risky. I would try to avoid top picks on it. Eduardo Rodriguez signed as FA for a little over 100K. Arrieta picked in 5th round. David Hess in the 5th. A long littany of 1st round injured pitchers or busts.

Arrieta dropped because of contract demands.

He was not considered a 5th round talent.

It would take some serious financial gymnastics to sign him in the 5th round under the present system.

Davies was signed for3rd type money. Britton drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. Pitching has a high attrition rate. HS pitching seems the most risky. I would try to avoid top picks on it. Eduardo Rodriguez signed as FA for a little over 100K. Arrieta picked in 5th round. David Hess in the 5th. A long littany of 1st round injured pitchers or busts.
Arrieta dropped because of contract demands.

He was not considered a 5th round talent.

It would take some serious financial gymnastics to sign him in the 5th round under the present system.

Arrieta was a first round talent. That was the year after we gave up 2nd and 3rd round picks for Baez and Bradford. Had some money to spill spend in 4th and 5th round.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

So, Mountcastle level. Better than Grey Fenter.

Jake also had a drop in velocity his draft year, however leading up to that year I am quite sure Jake was supposed to be one of the top college arms in the draft. Inconsisten velocity and high demands allowed him to drop.

When your recent past includes the following 1st round high school arms:

Harvey

Bundy

Hobgood

And in the last 20 years:

Loewen

Stahl

Cenete

Rice

you start to realize the Orioles are not very good and drafting and developing high risk/reward pitchers.

Then again, considering Zach Britton is the only HS pitcher (that I can recall since I didn't do a real detailed search) the Orioles have drafted and developed into an All-Star (closer not starter) since Jim Palmer and you can guess why I shutter every time I hear a high school arm get drafted early by the Orioles.

The hiring of Peterson was supposed to help solve this but both Harvey and Bundy have come up lame (As well as many others).

The only HS arm we've drafted and developed of late who has stayed healthy and had no red flags in his delivery, we traded for a two month rental on a mediocre ballclub. Ashamed Zach Davies won't get the chance to break the streak with the Orioles.

I did a few queries as well and didn't come up with much more than you did. Jim Johnson wasn't a top pick but he did become and All Star one year and was a HS pick. Matt Riley another top HS bust for O's. He was top 20 baseball america at some point.

Sidenote: during research, it came back that Tripper Johnson was selected as a RHP, but I know he played 3B as the Orioles. I tried to look that up as what he was drafted for and didn't come back with much. Ironically, he represents Ryan Mountcastle as his agent.

Archived