Time for the O's to re-sign Delmon Young?

wildcard

About a week in the minors to get his timing back and then promoted to the O's on September 1st? The O's have 38 players on the 40 man roster.

Pinch hitter extraordinaire.

I was wondering about that myself. I had the idea that when he was released, that he might yet return to the Os. Not a bad idea at all.

Who wouldn't want a DH/PH with a 628 OPS with an average career rWAR of .25?

Not trying to make the argument to sign Delmon Young, but if we are going to talk about numbers, didn't Delmon hit something like .500 as a pinch hitter last year?

o

When Young was DFA'd almost 2 months ago, Tony-OH said that it was not out of the question:

THURSDAY, JULY 2nd

Tony, you are G.M. For a Day, yesterday. Do you agree with the DFA'ing of Delmon Young ???:

TONY:O You know, that was a really tough decision. When you look over options, Young was the best choice to be DFA'd. The only other choice was Reimold, and Reimold has played very well in his brief playing time so far, and he has great speed on the basepaths, so yeah, I agree that Young had to go. They are going with Davis in rightfield and Snider in leftfield against right-handed pitchers, so there really wasn't a lot of plate appearances to go around for the right-handed batters, such as Reimold and Steve Pearce.

Might Delmon Young be back ???

TONY:O Yes, it's very possible. The Orioles have a recent history of DFA'ing guys and then getting them back if they pass through waivers without being claimed by another team. So yes, I can see Young possibly coming back with the Orioles later this season. We would love to get him back for the stretch run if he passes through waivers.

Where does Young's bases-clearing triple against the Tigers in the 2014 A.L.D.S. rank among all-time great Oriole moments ???

TONY:O I'll tell you something, I was in the press box for the game, and I had a really hard time NOT cheering wildly when it happened. I did get in a fist-bump with Stan the Fan. For me, it ranks right up there with Tito Landrum's home run to beat the White Sox in the 1983 A.L.C.S. which sent us back to the World Series.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/148919-Tony-Pente-on-105-7-The-Fan-at-5-20-PM-Talking-Os-and-Prospects?highlight=Tony+Pente

In Delmon's career here is what he is hitting as a pinch hitter:

56 AB, 19 H, 1 HR, 8 RBI, 339/422/482/904

In the post season at all positions:

126 AB, 33 H, 9 HR, 22 RBI, 262/314/524/838

So Delmon Young is obviously a different hitter as a pinch hitter and in the postseason.

It couldn't possibly be small sample noise... No way.

Archived