The secret of Zach Britton's unique dominance

xian4

And other people have said some of the offers  were good. But this is the MASN Orioles spin by the PR Dept.

Will the return for Britton be lighter due to his rental status? You’d think so, though I was told last summer that some offers for him were “insulting.” Teams need to put healthy prospects on the table. That’s always a good idea, especially when dealing with the Orioles.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/06/this-that-and-the-other-157.html

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Will the return for Britton be lighter due to his rental status? You’d think so, though I was told last summer that some offers for him were “insulting.” Teams need to put healthy prospects on the table.

I said this back when the Britton deadline deals fell apart, but it deserves emphasis.  

There are really two possibilities.

A) Nearly half the teams in MLB put an offer in for Britton, and every single one of them lowballed us.  OR

B) We overvalue our players and ask for too high a return.

Let's apply Occam's razor. Which of these scenarios is more likely?  Hmmmm....

12 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

I said this back when the Britton deadline deals fell apart, but it deserves emphasis.  

There are really two possibilities.

A) Nearly half the teams in MLB put an offer in for Britton, and every single one of them lowballed us.  OR

B) We overvalue our players and ask for too high a return.

Let's apply Occam's razor. Which of these scenarios is more likely?  Hmmmm....

Britton didn’t pitch all that well when he returned from his injuries last year, and that minimized his value vs. what the Orioles were hoping to get.   I think his value at the trade deadline this season depends entirely on how well he’s pitching.    The fact that he was incredibly dominant in 2016 isn’t very relevant when you’re trading for two months of his services in 2018.    Equally, I don’t think his mediocre 2017 is going to matter a whole lot.   It all just boils down to how he’s doing this year — not just statistically, but stuff and command-wise.    If he’s in top form, he’ll still bring a nice package at the deadline; if he looks like last year, he won’t.   

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Britton didn’t pitch all that well when he returned from his injuries last year, and that minimized his value vs. what the Orioles were hoping to get.   I think his value at the trade deadline this season depends entirely on how well he’s pitching.    The fact that he was incredibly dominant in 2016 isn’t very relevant when you’re trading for two months of his services in 2018.    Equally, I don’t think his mediocre 2017 is going to matter a whole lot.   It all just boils down to how he’s doing this year — not just statistically, but stuff and command-wise.    If he’s in top form, he’ll still bring a nice package at the deadline; if he looks like last year, he won’t.   

Agreed. I am sure the scouts will take a good hard look at him since they only have about a month's worth of data. Also not sure if he will pitching too many back to back games when he first comes back.

o

DOWN ON THE AAA FARM

3 OUTS: ) 1 Strikeout, 1 Groundout, 1 Lineout

ZACHARY GRANT BRITTON )))))))) (vs. AAA-Columbus, 6/07)

IP:ll1

H:llll ) l(1 Single)

R:lll  0

BB:ll0

SO:lll1

Pitches: l) 7  )(6 )Strikes, )1)Balls)

2018 ERA: l)  0.00  )(AAA-Norfolk)  )  2.33 IP  (0 ER) 

2018 WHIP: l)  0.429  )(AAA-Norfolk)  )   )  2.33 IP  (1 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG:  l) .125  )l [1 for 8] lll (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING  

7  ll(6 llStrikes, llllBalls)

o

o

(June 11th)

Zach Britton is excited to be back.

He says that he feels great, and he's not allowing himself to think that hes auditioning for other teams.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/1006257742112350209

How Will Orioles Fit Britton In Their Bullpen and On the Roster?

(By Roch Kubatko)

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/06/how-will-orioles-fit-britton-in-their-bullpen-and-on-the-roster.html

o

o

3 OUTS: ) 1 Strikeout, 1 Groundout, 1 Caught Stealing

ZACHARY GRANT BRITTON )))))))) (vs. RED SOX, 6/12)

H:llll ) l

BB:ll3

SO:ll1

Pitches: l) 26  )(11 )Strikes, )15)Balls)

2018 ERA: l)  0.00   1.00 IP  (0 ER) 

2018 WHIP: l)  3.000   )  1.00 IP  (3 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG:  l) .000  )l (0 for 2)  

PITCHES BY INNING  

26  ll(11 llStrikes, ll15 llBalls)

o

o

A less shaky outing this tonight for Britton. 

3 OUTS: ) 2 Strikeouts, 1 Groundout

ZACHARY GRANT BRITTON )))))))) (vs. MARLINS, 6/15)

SO:ll2

Pitches: l) 13  )(9 )Strikes, )4)Balls)

2018 ERA: l)  0.00   2.00 IP  (0 ER) 

2018 WHIP: l)  1.500   )  2.00 IP  (3 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG:  l) .000  )l (0 for 5)  

PITCHES BY INNING  

13  ll(9 llStrikes, llllBalls)

o

o

Another solid outing for Britton, allowing only an infield single in his one inning of work. 

After said infield single to lead off the inning, Zach needed only 6 pitches (all strikes) to record the 3 outs that he induced. 

3 OUTS: ) 2 Groundouts, 1 Flyout

ZACHARY GRANT BRITTON )))))))) (vs. MARLINS, 6/17)

H:llll ) l(1 Single)

SO:ll0

Pitches: l) 9  )(8 )Strikes, )1)Balls)

2018 ERA: l)  0.00   3.00 IP  (0 ER) 

2018 WHIP: l)  1.333   )  3.00 IP  (4 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG:  l) .111  )l (1 for 9)  

PITCHES BY INNING  

9  ll(8 llStrikes, llllBalls)

o

o

4 OUTS: ) 2 Strikeouts, 1 Groundout, 1 Lineout

ZACHARY GRANT BRITTON )))))))) (vs. NATIONALS, 6/20)

IP:ll1.33

BB:ll1

SO:ll2

Pitches: l) 24  )(13 )Strikes, )11)Balls)

2018 ERA: l)  0.00   4.33 IP  (0 ER) 

2018 WHIP: l)  1.154   )  4.33 IP  (5 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG:  l) .077  )l (1 for 13)  

PITCHES BY INNING  

17  ll(9 llStrikes, llllBalls)

71  ll(4 llStrikes, llllBalls) ) *

* )) Britton recorded 1 out before departing in the 9th inning.

o

Archived