The secret of Zach Britton's unique dominance

xian4

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

Sinking a Fastball and Raising Spirits are All Part of Zach Britton's Day

(By Roch Kubatko)

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/06/sinking-a-fastball-and-raising-spirits-all-part-of-brittons-day.html

Thanks for posting Roch's article Patrick and even greater thanks to ZB for his work with great children.

We don't know how lucky we are, much of the time, to just worry about Orioles' wins and losses when these kids are fighting for their lives every day.

o

(JUNE 10th)

Zachary Grant Britton is 19-for-19 in saves so far this season.

Those 19 saves leads the American League, and is only one behind Jeurys Familia of the Mets for the Major League lead (20).

oooooo GREAT oooooooooooooooooo flag-great-britain-official-uk-flag-united-kingdom-vector-58046954.jpg

o

I'm not advocating any course of action, but isn't a guy who throws 180+ innings more valuable than a guy who throws 70? Assuming equivalent quality, of course.

What do starters start now days, 32 games a year, typically?

So on a typical season, they might get close to 20 games, win, right?

But, your closer probably get 65-75 changes, and if he converts most of those into saves, one could make a case that in the long run, that would be considered more beneficial to the team.

o

(vs. RED SOX, 6/14)

Entered the game with runners on 1st and 3rd, one out, and the Orioles clinging to a 3-1 lead.

Struck out David Ortiz, ceded an RBI-single to Hanley Ramirez, and induced a groundball out to Jackie Bradley, Jr. to preserve the lead.

Went 3-up, 3-down in the 9th inning. striking out all 3 batters.

4 strikeouts in a 5-out save.

22 Pitches (15 Strikes, 7 Balls.)

0.96 ERA

0.607 WHIP

20-for-20 SAVES

I love the Britton quotes to Roch, totally awesome:

“The big thing for me is pitch count,” he said. “It’s not ups and downs. It’s really not consecutive days for the most part.

“Brad (Brach) obviously been throwing the ball well too, so he’s helped a lot. It’s helped kind of ease the burden on me and pretty much everybody else in the bullpen, but I think pitch count. That’s why when I come in the game I want to get a ground ball right away and get that first out in the inning.

“Strikeouts are great when I need them, but for the most part I want early contact and get out of the inning with few pitches and few strikeouts, I can go multiple innings on consecutive days. With the way our bullpen is shaped, even without Darren, everyone is throwing the ball really well and I think that’s why we’re having success.”

Since allowing the run and taking the loss against Chicago on 30 April, Britton has tossed 18 scoreless innings , allowing just six hits and three walks while striking out 19. Batters are hitting .102 off him with a .281 OPS. That my friends is dominating!

Since allowing the run and taking the loss against Chicago on 30 April, Britton has tossed 18 scoreless innings , allowing just six hits and three walks while striking out 19. Batters are hitting .102 off him with a .281 OPS. That my friends is dominating!

He did allow that one run to score last night, but it wasn't his run that was on base.

He put out the fire and that's a good hitting team.

Archived